Jerry-Lee-Lewis.com

Re: Jerry-Lee-Lewis.com

Postby rockin532000 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:58 am

Congratulations to you all who have worked and contributed to this new website and forum. It is highly appreciated by me! I guess the whole thing is now back on track and better than ever! Thanks again.

As it is the Holiday Season, some good wishes from my daughter Laura attached.
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby Perk » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:34 pm

I think it looks just great! Better than ever. Nice colours etc so you can actually read posts without getting seasick. Thanks Ian & David. Great work! Good to see David Hamer back in business! I´m a proud member of this.

Perk
Perk

Postby Perk » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:44 pm

Just one thing, will this forum part of it stay open for everyone to read? Or will it be members only? As for now i can read everything without logging in. Logging in is only required to post a message. If it will be open then perhaps the "members only" should be removed? As i see that as a closed forum for the real fans and shouldn´t be indexed by Google.

Perk
Perk

Postby hamd01 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:03 pm

I think you're right Perk, probably as well to remover the "members only" text to avoid confusion. What do you think Ian?
hamd01

Postby thrund » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Perk wrote:Just one thing, will this forum part of it stay open for everyone to read? Or will it be members only? As for now i can read everything without logging in. Logging in is only required to post a message. If it will be open then perhaps the "members only" should be removed? As i see that as a closed forum for the real fans and shouldn´t be indexed by Google.

Perk

That goes just for the 'Killer part' of the forum, for the 'off topic' section you have to log in.
Will be the main forum opened without log in?

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby hamd01 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:42 pm

The main section is open so that Google can index the site. This allows new and old fans to find the site. My thoughts are that all sections should be open to view.... which is the norm for forums. But its Ians's call.
hamd01

Postby bailbath » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:02 pm

All forums readable for guests, members only section gone.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby bailbath » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:09 pm

I have a idea for the front page. How about a question and answer article for our oldest fan and I don't mean age. I mean someone who has been a fan since the start or just after. Any volunteers please email or pm Me. It will just be 10 questions that hopefully will bring forward some great stories or experiences.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby hamd01 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:51 pm

I've already got Graham Knight answering some questions..... if there any other long term fans out there who would be up for this drop me a pm and I'll send you the questions.
hamd01

Postby richjohnson26 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:36 pm

I know I'm mostly a lurker on the Jerry Lee forums but while I have the chance I'd like to say a huge thanks to everyone that does so much to keep the news of the killer up and running. Before 2004 I had no idea about the world of the 50's legends, I grew up assuming that they had all died or retired. Ever since then I have been constantly amazed by the enthusiasm and expertise that surround our legend!

Many thanks to all those that keep these forums running and give us all the time and the information that I value so highly, it's great to have all this information around.

Thank-you!

Richard
richjohnson26

Postby unchained » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:56 am

It's nice to have a good place to talk JLL again. :!:
unchained

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:16 pm

I too am very confused by all these new Forums and formats. I hope this one sticks around till I can get used to it at least.

The article about the Scandals of Jerry Lee Lewis was quite provocative, especially as it featured so prominently. But then, as Chris de Bruin commented (he's staying with me over Xmas/New Year period), it does at least balance the 'he can do no wrong' attitude displayed on both Kay's and Ian's forums recently.

Any suggestion that Jerry Lee might be less than perfect, might be too lazy to sing different songs in live shows, or heaven forbid that he might have been unwise to marry his 13-year old cousin while still married to his second wife let alone bring the kid to England where bigamy and pedophilia were not common practice, or that he might have had something to do with the death of two wives even if not actually murdering them, well such things were considered unmentionable apparently, so this is a refreshing change.

The fact is the whole family is eccentric at least, and anybody marrying into it would be put under great stress, and who knows what the result might be? Suicide, accidental overdose, whatever. Guns seem to be an infatuation of the whole crazy family - Jerry played with them and shot his bass player, Frankie Jean has loaded guns everywhere in her home, Linda Gail thought it hilarious that Jerry and Phoebe chased Kerrie off the Ranch with loaded guns calling it a 'bullet barbecue'. As for cousin Jimmy Swaggart, well the incident with the hooker and her very young daughter would be unsavory for any one, let alone a preacher. Mickey Gilley comes across as the sanest of the lot.

But the musical talents of this family cannot be denied and are very under-rated by the world at large. This is largely their own fault, since Jerry Lee does very little to promote his albums outside the USA nowadays, and hardly ever includes new songs from his albums in live shows. Mickey has never visited Europe to my knowledge, Jimmy Swaggart's gospel recordings are virtually unknown in places like England, Linda Gail is virtually unknown in her native USA, The Lewis Three project, with their great harmonies, broke up prematurely. And the wider family have never got together to produce a TV show or album, so the world is largely unaware of how many of them have achieved success in their own fields.

When the definitive book is written or film made about Jerry Lee Lewis and his talented relations I suspect the world will be quite surprised. After all many outside the USA dismiss Jerry Lee as a rock'n'roll singer who had a few big hits in the 1950s then disappeared without trace, and they know nothing about his later successes, of Mickey Gilley's many hits, of Jimmy Swaggart's success, or anything about Linda Gail or her daughters.

The Osmonds, The Jacksons, the Carter Family - all well known. The Lewis/Gilley'Swaggart clan, completely unknown by most of the world as a family at least. When did Jerry last invite Linda to join him on stage? When did Jimmy invite Jerry to sing and play some Gospel at his Family Worship Center? When did Mickey invite Jerry Lee to duet with him at his Branson Theater? When did Jerry invite any of his talented relatives to join him on stage, in a record project or TV show? And when a museum was dedicated to the three cousins in Ferriday, Jerry failed to turn up!

An eccentric lot indeed, but very talented. One day the world might realize what they missed.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby bailbath » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Tony Papard wrote: And when a museum was dedicated to the three cousins in Ferriday, Jerry failed to turn up!

Well it was pretty awful the dummies they used embarrassing.
:oops:
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby yorkshire88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:06 pm

[quote="Tony Papard"] Frankie Jean has loaded guns everywhere in her home

Tony, if I'd have known they were loaded, I would have behaved myself a little better back in '92!! Thankfully, I escaped from Ferriday (physically) unscathed...
yorkshire88

Postby PeterC » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:29 am

I wish the music / video thing on the home page didn't automatically start playing every time I visit, it's very annoying! :?
PeterC

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions