What is the town you live in famous for?

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:07 pm

Perk wrote:3. Bill Haley was drunk at our biggest hotel in 71. I been corrected on this and it might more likely be later in the 70´s. He did not perform here though.

I'm sure that's not what your town is famous for though...

Jerry Lee Lewis opened his 1978 European Tour with two shows in Margate, but I didn't bother listing this because if you asked people who live in Margate what their town's famous for they wouldn't mention this (it's no more important to them than 100's of other artists who've played in Margate!).
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:31 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:3. Bill Haley was drunk at our biggest hotel in 71. I been corrected on this and it might more likely be later in the 70´s. He did not perform here though.

I'm sure that's not what your town is famous for though...

Jerry Lee Lewis opened his 1978 European Tour with two shows in Margate, but I didn't bother listing this because if you asked people who live in Margate what their town's famous for they wouldn't mention this (it's no more important to them than 100's of other artists who've played in Margate!).

No it´s not famous for it. But to me it´s the most famous thing. I mean Bill Haley drunk in my town! That´s GREAT! The high coast i love! And should be known worldwide around!

Othervise it´s the hockey stuff. When i look at advertising stuff it says, "Hockey evening at our pub", "Come and eat our hockey buffe", We show hockey on the big screen before the game on TV".

Ever wondered why i wanna more from here?

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:38 pm

Perk wrote: I mean Bill Haley drunk in my town! That´s GREAT!

I'm sure Jerry Lee Lewis was drun in Margate....& every other town he visited in 1978! :lol:
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:00 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:

I'm sure Jerry Lee Lewis was drun in Margate....& every other town he visited in 1978! :lol:

The killer was certainly heavily drunk at Gota lejon in stockholm 1978. I wasn´t there though (too young) but i have read and heard fun stories from the event!

My avatar picture is by the way from Gota Lejon Stockholm 1978!

Perk
Perk

Postby Piet » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Perk wrote: 2. Hockey, pleases the sports fan i guess. Peter Forsberg lives here. I´m sure Piet knows Peter Forsberg.

Perk

I sure do like hockey, just take a look at our national treasure, she not only a good player, check her out Fatima Moreira de Melo

Piet
Piet

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:08 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:

Kenny Lovelace bought fish and chips in Margate! Well Cliftonville, in a chippie opposite the Winter Gardens during the interval.

That should deserve a blue plaque if Jerry/Kenny fans had any say in the matter, but unfortunately we don't.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby bailbath » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:54 pm

Sounds like a plan Tony :twisted: .
Everyone put up a plaque in there town that has a JLL connection!
IAN
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:33 pm

Tony Papard wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Kenny Lovelace bought fish and chips in Margate! Well Cliftonville, in a chippie opposite the Winter Gardens during the interval.

That should deserve a blue plaque if Jerry/Kenny fans had any say in the matter, but unfortunately we don't.

Unfortunately that chip shop closed down years ago, as did all the shops (almost) opposite The Winter Gardens apart from an off licence.
peterchecksfield

Postby thrund » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:14 pm

That's my place, enough for me.

thrund

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:24 pm

tolazytodie wrote:That's my place, enough for me.

Looks beautiful! :D
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby Piet » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:09 pm

And cold too :roll:
Piet

Postby thrund » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:15 pm

Piet wrote:And cold too :roll:

just in the winter time and outside :D
thrund

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:28 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Unfortunately that chip shop closed down years ago, as did all the shops (almost) opposite The Winter Gardens apart from an off licence.

There'll be nothing left of Margate soon:

http://www.joylandbooks.com/scenicrailway/ :cry:

Margate closures in recent months include:

Dreamland cinema (Margate now no longer has a cinema for the first time since the 20's), 3 pubs (Yates, The Cottage, The Wellington), Marks & Spencers (it's now a near-empty art gallery) & Pizzahut, with the biggest remaining store (Primark) rumoured to be going soon. Very sad.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:53 am

Dreamland cinema (Margate now no longer has a cinema for the first time since the 20's), 3 pubs (Yates, The Cottage, The Wellington), Marks & Spencers (it's now a near-empty art gallery) & Pizzahut, with the biggest remaining store (Primark) rumoured to be going soon. Very sad.

You still got the sea view! That can´t close down so easily :)

Perk
Perk

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:07 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

The derelict Dreamland former amusement park site, and now the historic, listed Scenic Railway catching fire, is tragic. It is so much a part of Margate, which was a magic place when I was a kid. We went there year after year, and the Scenic Railway was my favorite ride.

The pier has gone long ago, and the Sun Deck, which was unique to Margate.

But it's not just Margate - the Kursaal amusement park in Southend has long gone, as has Battersea Fun Fair in Battersea Park, opened for the Festival of Britain in 1951, which also had a wooden roller coaster or scenic railway.

Blackpool's Pleasure Beach is one of the few surviving older big amusement parks, which have been replaced by inland developments like Alton Towers and Chessington World of Adventures.

Still, Margate has other attractions. The sea, sandy beaches, etc. But last time I visited the fantastic 'Shell Grotto' I was dismayed - the once colorful shells, preserved for centuries, had lost all their color due to the artificial lighting installed in the 20th Century sometime.

Jerry Lee played the Winter Gardens on November 9th, 1978. The concert hall is right by the sea, and Jerry made some remark about how beautiful the venue was with 'the ocean' just outside. The British never refer to the North Sea as 'the ocean'!

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic