What Are You Reading Right Now?

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:41 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Well, the spirit of his legend is still alive for sure.

That's his biography, an entertaining read. He is not the poet that Chuckles is, but he tells it like it is.

And I got this book signed by none other than Bo Diddley! :D

I've got this book, but found it very hard going. Couldn't finish it. Can't remember exactly why now, but I very rarely start a book and give up.

I have given up on a Beryl Bainbridge book, 'Every Man For Himself'. Supposed to be a novel about the Titanic, but- I couldn't understand what the f***k she was on about. Only managed to read about 3 or 4 pages, and it didn't make any sense whatsoever. A man hanging on railings and drowning in Manchester Square? And not a drop of water to be seen anywhere.

Now reading a novel called The Enemy of The Good by Michael Additti who autographed it at a meeting on Friday, after he read a chapter to a group of us. At least this is readable, and makes sense.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:50 pm

Tony Papard wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:Well, the spirit of his legend is still alive for sure.

That's his biography, an entertaining read. He is not the poet that Chuckles is, but he tells it like it is.

And I got this book signed by none other than Bo Diddley! :D

I've got this book, but found it very hard going. Couldn't finish it. Can't remember exactly why now, but I very rarely start a book and give up.

Really?! I find it the opposite, very readable, & because it's mostly in Bo's own words I can almost see & hear him telling us all this (despite his ego I always thought Bo was a great guy with a superb sense of humour).
peterchecksfield

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:55 pm

The language he uses reminds me of the Ray Charles' biography "Brother Ray". They talk like in daily life, very down-to-earth. Not really poetic, but easy and enjoyable to read.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Andrew McRae » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:27 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:The language he uses reminds me of the Ray Charles' biography "Brother Ray". They talk like in daily life, very down-to-earth. Not really poetic, but easy and enjoyable to read.

It's curious - I had the same trouble with the Bo Diddley book, which someone gave me for Christmas a few years ago... I must give it another go sometime. Though I do tend to struggle with these books when they appear largely to be transcriptions of conversations, rather than in a narrative format. Maybe I just got distracted at the time, as I don't recall it being as bad in that respect as the "baddest rock memoir ever" sic (which, similarly, I never read through and have no intention of re-attempting, notwithstanding the indispensible appendices!)

Incidentally, I'm pleased that in resuscitating this long neglected thread some good responses have been generated - but (no offence Tony) should be restrict it to music / recording subjects? It could easily get swamped by a whole range of other subjects. I'm sure no-one would want to plough through my words droning on about the heroic age of Antarctic exploration, or the engineering accomplishments of George Jackson Churchward, or whatever.

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

"Crazy Heart" (the 1989 novel on which the recent, Oscar-winning, Jeff Bridges film is based) by Tom Cobb

It's a good read. The film itself is pretty faithful to the original story although there are some differences in characterisation and a couple of significant twists. Jerry Lee even gets a couple of name checks from the protaganist, "Bad Blake" (which are not reproduced in the screenplay!).

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby Tumppi » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:56 am

Ellis Amburn; Dark Star: The Tragic Story of Roy Orbison. Bad book, includes some so unbelievable stories that makes the whole book untrastable.
Tumppi

Postby ChrisdeB » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Just started Keith Richards new autobiography. Had a flick through it yesterday. keith's nicknames for Jagger is Brenda and Her Majesty lol! talking about Mick's solo album Richards write "i havn't heard Mick's solo album She's the Boss, but who has,,,,," Apparently Mick is not very well endowed.

I also started Peter Dogget's excellant Beatleds book YYou never give me your money. This deals with the beatles buisness dealings from the Brian Epstein years upto he reissue programe of last year. A must have for anybody interested in management.

Regards
Chris de B
ChrisdeB

Postby bluesinc. » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:47 pm

ChrisdeB wrote:keith's nicknames for Jagger is Brenda and Her Majesty lol!

yes, because there was a book in a store, written by Brenda Jagger, way back then
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby ChrisdeB » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:55 am

bluesinc. wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:keith's nicknames for Jagger is Brenda and Her Majesty lol!

yes, because there was a book in a store, written by Brenda Jagger, way back then

Lol thanks for that I did not know that was the reason.

There was also a 1 hour interview on BBc2's Culture programe on thursday well worth a look if you get the chance lots of footage that i had nott seen before..

Regards

Chris de B
ChrisdeB

Postby bluesinc. » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:18 am

Michael Palin: Hemingways chair
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby Henry » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:03 pm

This Topic..rarely never read any books 8)
Henry

Postby Perk » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:38 am

I was at a Statoil gasstation the other day eating a crappy hamburger for lunch. I saw a book on the stand called AC/DC - Maximum Rock & Roll. I bought it by a sudden impuls.

I read the first page when i came home, it was about Jerry Lee Lewis.
It´s that story of how John Lennon kissed his feets.

So i guess the book started off good at least ; )

Perk
Perk

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Postby PeterC » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:14 am

I just received Sandie Shaw's biography, price £0.01 from Amazon!

PeterC

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Postby rockin532000 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:28 am

Jeremy Clarkson: The Top Gear Years

Hilarious!

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Previous

Return to Off topic