What Are You Reading Right Now?

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:46 pm

I'm reading the JLL message board! :lol:

Seriously, I've just started reading Elvis & The Memphis Mafia (by Alanna Nash with Billy Smith, Marty Lacker & Lamar Fike). Seems quite interesting so far.

I won a £10 Waterstones bookshop token in a £1 raffle at work the other day, so it (sorta) only cost me £1.
peterchecksfield

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Postby Maarten K. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:38 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I'm reading the JLL message board! :lol:

Seriously, I've just started reading Elvis & The Memphis Mafia (by Alanna Nash with Billy Smith, Marty Lacker & Lamar Fike). Seems quite interesting so far.

I won a £10 Waterstones bookshop token in a £1 raffle at work the other day, so it (sorta) only cost me £1.

Funnily enough I'm going though the same book! Not reading it from start to finish (already done that), but reading chapters here and there. It is one of the more interesting (and reliable) biographies of Elvis I have.
Things aren't that black-and-white as they might seem. There is more to things that one may think of.

Another book I am reading (again) is: Een barbaar in China, Adriaan van Dis.
However, that shouldn't ring a bell outside The Netherlands.
Maarten K.

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:02 pm

I more or less stopped reading books for about 3 years (since I got the internet), but since I started my job in March I've sometimes done very long & boring shifts so I've started reading almost a book per week, & not just music biographies as I once did. The last book I read that made a real impression on me was this one:

It moved me to tears in places.
peterchecksfield

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:39 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:It moved me to tears in places.

What's it about?

I'm a right bookworm. I've usually got two or three on the go, (and still my spelling is shit, why's that?)

Currently I'm reading Great Expectations by Dickens, (because I've never read any Dickens) and Elvis '57 (about the last Presley shows of the fifties, it's very good).
I love novels and factual. but I ferkin hate modern novels that read like screenplays.
--
Richard Harvey

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:42 pm

peterchecksfield wrote: I've just started reading Elvis & The Memphis Mafia (by Alanna Nash with Billy Smith, Marty Lacker & Lamar Fike). Seems quite interesting so far.

It's the only 'tell all' book about Elvis you need. There are hundreds of books by Mafia members, but this is the big daddy. It's all in here. I've read it a few times.
I'd hope my 'best friends' wouldn't spill quite so many beans about me after I croaked!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:43 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:It moved me to tears in places.

What's it about?

It's about a Jewish family who hide from the nazis in Holland during WWII, but unlike the more famous 'Frank' family (Anne Frank, etc) they survive (though many of their friends & relatives don't). It's written by the son of one of the survivors, so it's part family memoir & part history book. It's something I bought in a charity shop on the way to work a few weeks back.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:09 pm

The last book about music i read was Peter Guralnick´s "Lost Highway". Andrew recommended "Sweet Soul Music" too, by the same author. So i will pick that one up when i can afford it. My local library had it, but they closed down.

Othervise i read basically only horror, same thing with movies! A few weeks ago i finished Graham Masterton´s "The Devils Of D- day!

So i guess i wont earn a place on the "intelligent choices" list ; )))

Perk
Perk

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Perk wrote:So i guess i wont earn a place on the "intelligent choices" list ; )))
Perk

I'll take Ian Fleming over F Scott Fitzgerald any day! (and I can say that because I've read both!)
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Perk » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:25 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:
Perk wrote:So i guess i wont earn a place on the "intelligent choices" list ; )))
Perk

I'll take Ian Fleming over F Scott Fitzgerald any day! (and I can say that because I've read both!)

Ian Fleming, of course James Bond! Who can miss that? But the other guy i had to look up on the internet. I get your point!

Try some HP Lovecraft someday. He didn´t write well. He was no master at writing. But there is just something about the stories that makes him good. I can´t explain it exactly! Perhaps you need to be a horror fan to like it?

Perk ; )
Perk

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:57 pm

Perk wrote:Try some HP Lovecraft someday. He didn´t write well. He was no master at writing. But there is just something about the stories that makes him good. I can´t explain it exactly! Perhaps you need to be a horror fan to like it?
Perk ; )

I've read some of his although horror isn't my bag, to be honest. But I read The Mountains Of Madness by Lovecraft, and thought it rather good. And I think I read Dreams In The Witch House too.

Europe does great horror. I've read quite a bit of Poe too. Are you into that gothic stuff Perk?
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:31 am

'The Thoughtful Guide To God' by Howard Jones. It is very heavy going as it tries to cover everything to do with all religions, science and the paranormal.

I also started Chuck Berry's 'The Autobiography' and will be going back to it after finishing this Howard Jones book.

I haven't read any fiction for decades. In fact, I've only started reading books again recently.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Richard Harvey » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:46 am

Tony Papard wrote:I also started Chuck Berry's 'The Autobiography' and will be going back to it after finishing this Howard Jones book.

There was a synth-wieldiing mullet-sporting pop star of the eighties called Howard Jones. . . surely not?

The Chuck book is ferkin' ace. Enjoy!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:13 am

Richard Harvey wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:I also started Chuck Berry's 'The Autobiography' and will be going back to it after finishing this Howard Jones book.

There was a synth-wieldiing mullet-sporting pop star of the eighties called Howard Jones. . . surely not?

The Chuck book is ferkin' ace. Enjoy!

No this Howard Jones has degrees in mathematics and physical sciences, and spent many years carrying out research in medicine. He's also a professional teacher. Don't think it can be the same person.

The Chuckers book has got to be better than the Bo Diddley one,which I had to give up on.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Perk » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:05 am

Richard Harvey wrote:
Perk wrote:Try some HP Lovecraft someday. He didn´t write well. He was no master at writing. But there is just something about the stories that makes him good. I can´t explain it exactly! Perhaps you need to be a horror fan to like it?
Perk ; )

I've read some of his although horror isn't my bag, to be honest. But I read The Mountains Of Madness by Lovecraft, and thought it rather good. And I think I read Dreams In The Witch House too.

Europe does great horror. I've read quite a bit of Poe too. Are you into that gothic stuff Perk?

I have to say that i wasn´t sure exactly what gothic means? But after a quick look on "wiki", i learned it´s for one a british literary style, then later refered to everything dark or gloomy. But i can´t say it´s something i like specifically.

Those Lovecraft´s you mention is two that i have not read. I seen a movie done of the last one. It was in the recent TV series called "Masters Of Horror".

Perk
Perk

Postby Andrew McRae » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:40 am

Books read this month include

The Home of the Blizzard - Douglas Mawson

Khartoum - Michael Asher

Eminent Victorians - Lytton Strachey (again)

Manchester to Crewe Part One London Road (Piccadilly) and Longsight to Wilmslow via the Styal Line - E M Johnson
(well, you did ask...)

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Next

Return to Off topic