Football!

Postby flip54 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Shoulda come to Llandudno on holidays then, Cob Records (first UK used mail order and shop) was only forty mins by train and the town itself was chock full of high street stores selling vinyl (ah those were the days),Smiths would carry Mercury albums and Rediffusion had a rock n roll/blues and country section, had a standing order for the Phonogram Sun reissues.

An old music shop had loads of sheet music for 5p each. Lots of market stalls had great rnr bargains ( Jack Scott lp London, ist Ronnie Hawkins, Shakin London lp for 50p, First El boot) manily cos my school plas who were well into northern soul would flog their dads 50s collections on the sly to get money for a trip to Wigan clubs etc. For the more exotic there was the great Breathless Dan's manic lists and Rockpile fanzine's small ads

The only Ted in the village

Phil

ps I assume you mean Beanos in Croydon

Andrew McRae wrote:
PS Fancy waiting until post 69 to get GLSOE!

You forget, I was 'blind and uninitiated' until the Spring of '72 and "The Killer Rocks On" (my first JLL LP).... once 'awakened', I wasted as little time as possible in 'catching up'... within a year I had the basics of 'the collection' - more than 50 JLL LPs (*).... the only significant ones outstanding by the autumn of '73 were "Breathless" (London) and "Memphis Beat"... unbelievably, it took until the summer of 1975 to find either one of them...and then I bagged both on the same day... "Breathless" at Reddingtons and "Memphis Beat" at that place in Croydon... (you couldn't rely on Manchester shops alone)...quite an excursion to achieve something that could now be done in no time at all, sat here on my a**e, at the press of a button!

Andrew

(*) - bought a few more since then!
flip54

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:12 pm

Shoulda come to Llandudno on holidays

Funnily enough I did buy "Original Golden Hits Vol 1" in Llandudno, on a day visit with my big sister in the summer of '72. I used to get about in those days... Philips "Golden Hits" was bought in Inverness, "Live at the International Las Vegas" in Aberdeen, "There Must be More to Love Than This" in Liverpool, "(1st album)" from the Vintage Record Centre on the Caledonian Road.. always remember that one.. I dropped it on the way out of the shop! (it survived undamaged, I'm happy to say) ....and, being unable to find the "Breathless" LP, Breathless Dan's mail-order indeed provided the opportunity for first hearings of 'rarities' like "When I Get Paid"...

Re Croydon, I don't think it was 'Beanos', actually... I'm sure it was called something rather more mundane...
Andrew McRae

Postby howard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:13 pm

martin bates wrote:
howard wrote: Sex use to be high on the list

Well Howard, we could have our chat next time we meet for a pint (probably in the next 72 hours or so) .....but in the spirit of the humour prolonging this thread (& in an attempt to end it the way it started) I believe a lot of MU. fans could emulate Wes Brown & use their hand.
:lol:
Mar
tin.

The good thing about the hand is there none of the petting afterwards !!
howard

Postby howard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:15 pm

flip54 wrote:To paraphrase Ian Dury,
Howie would sing

Kegs N Reds N Rock N Roll

I shall always think of the Reds as Monkchester United from now on

Dave Mackay's leg, Roy Carroll, Wes Brown
poor ole Spurs robbed again :roll:

Phil
:lol:

It doesnt work "come on you monks" well they dont do they !!

howard wrote:Some of the most important things in my life are, in order BEER,MAN UNITED AND ROCKIN JERRY LEE. The being in order meaning what I do most of , well I drink beer,the real ale variety, every day watch Man United twice a week and try and watch Jerry lee everytime he comes to England and somtimes in Europe. Sex use to be high on the list as I use to be a bit of a rabbit but the last few years Ive become very monk like !. Not that Iam worried about it as the other three things keep me more than happy, "A PINT OF BEST BITTER PLEASE , COME ON YOU REDS JERRY JERRY JERRY "
howard

Postby martin bates » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:George Davenport?) he was country music mad..
But Robinsons (technically just over the bridge in Salford?)
Andrew :)

yes -you're right on both counts. It was great browsing those places.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby flip54 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:18 pm

Just Another Hand Shaking Goodbye :oops:

Mrs Palm and her five daughters

Flippin` Around

[quote="howard
The good thing about the hand is there none of the petting afterwards !![/quote]
flip54

Postby flip54 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:24 pm

Perhaps I served you as I worked in the best record shop in town 72-75 as a student,people were more likely to hear Carl Mann, Eddie Fontaine, Warren Smith and Ballad of $40 especially on my dinnertime shift whilst the boss was out, otherwise it was top 40 (so Chantilly Lace had a fair blasting) & sold a few Sessions 2lps to heavy fans by playing the Alvin Lee tracks.
Talking of Alvin he'd have been good on the LMS sessions,he's cut a lot of rnr in his days and a goodish recent album with Scotty Moore guesting, imagine I'm Going Home (Woodstock styled) with the Killah!

Flip

Dandys then , is that more mundane than Beanos?? ;-)

Andrew McRae wrote:
Shoulda come to Llandudno on holidays

Funnily enough I did buy "Original Golden Hits Vol 1" in Llandudno, on a day visit with my big sister in the summer of '72.
Re Croydon, I don't think it was 'Beanos', actually... I'm sure it was called something rather more mundane...
flip54

Postby Piet » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:18 pm

Where would Brittish football be without the superbe Dutch football players, not to mention the coaches.

Piet
Piet

Postby flip54 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:48 pm

From a Spurs point of view, Martin Jol the 5th was nearly sacked last week and Edgar Davids, admittedly towards the end of an illustrious career did little bar apart from fight with Robbie Keane in training ;-)) If only he had worn cool Big O shades

Apparently Mr Berkamp (your finest export to UK even better than Muhren and the latter days of Gullit) was a boyhood Spurs fan yet signed for the Arse. Both he and Van Basten would join Cruyff in my world XI

Best Dutch youth footballer is that guy who runs a long established fanzine ;-))

It's easy for you flat guys, we were called Mountain Rangers and we played on a mountainside with snow at one end and a flood at the other side of the pitch, with sheep droppings and gorse bushes everywhere and a manic sheep dog chasing the ball (player of the season and Harry Redknapp signed him on a free)

Long time since the Ajax European cup days, they are even now signing the useless Luque from Newcastle, where's the much vaunted youth system ;-))

Jumpers for goalposts literally

Footy Flip

Piet wrote:Where would Brittish football be without the superbe Dutch football players, not to mention the coaches.

Piet
flip54

Postby Piet » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:30 pm

You forget here the great brother of Van Morisson "Van the Man" who happens to be born and raised in a little village only 10 minutes from my hometown.
I found a picture of a famous Welch footbalplayer who used to play fro "The Sunny Boys" a team from naturists, non smoking, vegetarian and gay boys who sadly enough never made it to the Cup finals, they couldn't play but they sure know how to party. :P

Piet
Piet

Postby flip54 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:40 am

Jeez what I`d give to be that slim again!

Everytime I meet a moustachioed macho clog wearing edam cheese carrying Dutchman I end up drunk in a club/honky tonk :wink:

Bet no one else here has a relation who scored the winner in a European final though ;-))

Clue is in the surname

Flip

Piet wrote:You forget here the great brother of Van Morisson "Van the Man" who happens to be born and raised in a little village only 10 minutes from my hometown.
I found a picture of a famous Welch footbalplayer who used to play fro "The Sunny Boys" a team from naturists, non smoking, vegetarian and gay boys who sadly enough never made it to the Cup finals, they couldn't play but they sure know how to party. :P

Piet
flip54

Postby ChrisdeB » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:20 am

Did anyone in the UK see the superb film about brian Clough Damened Utd last night?

It brought back many memories regarding 1970's football

Chris de B
ChrisdeB

Postby martin bates » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:20 pm

ChrisdeB wrote:Did anyone in the UK see the superb film about brian Clough Damened Utd last night?

Chris de B

I didn't see it but I liked Cloughie & have a great book written by the local Nottingham reporter who knew him for 20+ years.
Isn't that film a lot of bollocks ,though ? I thought I'd heard that Johnny Giles successfully got 'himself' taken off it or edited, & he said they only got away with a lot of stuff because everyone else - Clough,Revie,Bremner etc. - was dead.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby martin bates » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:37 pm

I found a number of pieces like this online........

I read the book when it came out and found it to be quite a dishonest work of fiction masquerading as a work of truth. Fundamentally, its the fact that it uses peoples reputations and names and fictionalises the 44 day period that Brian Clough spent as manager of Leeds United in 1974. It’s allowed itself to be pushed as a work of fact when the author had no connection with any of the major characters portrayed in the book and they were all dead at the time of the books release with one major exception, Irish midfielder Johnny Giles, who successfully sued the publishers for libel. Norman Hunter hardly says anything, but he’s still alive so escapes Peace’s hatchet job. If you don’t know anything about football, I suppose you may enjoy it but then again, if you do, what’s the point?

http://www.epltalk.com/dont-be-fooled-b ... nited/5059

Must have been the book I was thinking of - was the film any better ?
Martin.
martin bates

Postby Henry » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:25 am

ChrisdeB wrote:Did anyone in the UK see the superb film about brian Clough Damened Utd last night?

Chris de B

I've saw it in the swedish television several month ago and i really was supriced that Brian was acting the way he was in the film.Of course i belived in what i saw in the film and now it,s wery good to find out that it wasen't true.
Here's a nice interwiew done by the swedish tv many years ago.
Only for you footballfans ofcourse :wink:
http://svtplay.se/v/1789102/fotboll/tip ... ian_clough
Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic