Football!



Postby martin bates » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:40 am

bailbath wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Football and cricket :roll:


Remember,one of the advantages of this forum is that you don't have to open a message that doesn't interest you, like ,say, a thread titled 'Football'. :wink:
Seriously,I've said before I don't need a section on a JLL forum to discuss football,but if this were a thread discussing Sun rarities,last night's show or nudists on the beach,would it be desirable for everyone who's not interested to write in & say so ?

Martin.
martin bates

 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby unchained » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:42 am

I don't really support one club for the simple fact that I'm a football fan.
This means I follow the best +/- 20 players in world whatever club they play for.
I´ve seen famous dutch players play long before they ever became stars.
This is what I like in football.

I don't feel like supporting my own hometown club for the simple reason that I consider
myself and most streetfootballers around me to be much better players...so why follow amateurs?
unchained

User avatar
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: The Hague, Holland

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:46 am

martin bates wrote:
bailbath wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Football and cricket :roll:


Remember,one of the advantages of this forum is that you don't have to open a message that doesn't interest you, like ,say, a thread titled 'Football'. :wink:


Ian has to read it as he's the moderator. :D
peterchecksfield

 

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:49 am

bailbath wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Football and cricket :roll:


I have no interest in either of them, but there's something reassuringly refined & English about cricket. I cycled past a match the other day & there was no fans of each team seperated, no police presence, no obviously drunkeness.
peterchecksfield

 

Postby martin bates » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:01 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
martin bates wrote:
bailbath wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Football and cricket :roll:


Remember,one of the advantages of this forum is that you don't have to open a message that doesn't interest you, like ,say, a thread titled 'Football'. :wink:


Ian has to read it as he's the moderator. :D


of course..........but there's no need for him to comment.
(you should try it :wink: )
Martin.
martin bates

 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby Perk » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:25 am

of course..........but there's no need for him to comment.
(you should try it )
Martin.


It´s good though! It´s perfect to turn into the sports channel when you can´t sleep! Then it´s like coma in a second! Only thing you need to think of is to prepare where you are! Othervise you might do like me, falling into a sharp window edge and cause a heavy bleeding in the head. All because of the sports channels.

The crap should be banned of course!!!! Smoking NOT!!!!

:wink:

Perk ; )
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Postby howard » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:15 pm

Some of the most important things in my life are, in order BEER,MAN UNITED AND ROCKIN JERRY LEE. The being in order meaning what I do most of , well I drink beer,the real ale variety, every day watch Man United twice a week and try and watch Jerry lee everytime he comes to England and somtimes in Europe. Sex use to be high on the list as I use to be a bit of a rabbit but the last few years Ive become very monk like !. Not that Iam worried about it as the other three things keep me more than happy, "A PINT OF BEST BITTER PLEASE , COME ON YOU REDS JERRY JERRY JERRY "
howard

 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:06 pm

Postby bailbath » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:41 pm

martin bates wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
martin bates wrote:
bailbath wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Football and cricket :roll:


Remember,one of the advantages of this forum is that you don't have to open a message that doesn't interest you, like ,say, a thread titled 'Football'. :wink:


Ian has to read it as he's the moderator. :D


of course..........but there's no need for him to comment.
(you should try it :wink: )
Martin.

Unless I'm trying to wind people up a bit which is always fun!
:wink:
IAN
bailbath

User avatar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2648
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Bath, uk

Postby martin bates » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:16 pm

howard wrote: Sex use to be high on the list


Well Howard, we could have our chat next time we meet for a pint (probably in the next 72 hours or so) .....but in the spirit of the humour prolonging this thread (& in an attempt to end it the way it started) I believe a lot of MU. fans could emulate Wes Brown & use their hand.
:lol:
Martin.
martin bates

 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby flip54 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:40 pm

To paraphrase Ian Dury,
Howie would sing

Kegs N Reds N Rock N Roll

I shall always think of the Reds as Monkchester United from now on

Dave Mackay's leg, Roy Carroll, Wes Brown
poor ole Spurs robbed again :roll:

Phil
:lol:



howard wrote:Some of the most important things in my life are, in order BEER,MAN UNITED AND ROCKIN JERRY LEE. The being in order meaning what I do most of , well I drink beer,the real ale variety, every day watch Man United twice a week and try and watch Jerry lee everytime he comes to England and somtimes in Europe. Sex use to be high on the list as I use to be a bit of a rabbit but the last few years Ive become very monk like !. Not that Iam worried about it as the other three things keep me more than happy, "A PINT OF BEST BITTER PLEASE , COME ON YOU REDS JERRY JERRY JERRY "
flip54

 
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:34 am

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:10 am

Dave Mackay's leg,


Jeez, talk about ancient history and long memories!

But in the same vein, and just to cheer up Martin, I can reflect on the last time I saw Tottenham play at Old Trafford. On that occasion, his namesake Mr Peters scored a hat-trick.. in fact it might have been four... I think I started to lose interest in football from that point on....

I also have an idea that on my way home from that match I consoled myself by buying a copy of "By Request: More of the Greatest Live Show On Earth" from that little record shop there used to be at the top of the approach road to Piccadilly station....

Andrew :)
Andrew McRae

User avatar
 
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Postby martin bates » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:41 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
Dave Mackay's leg,


Jeez, talk about ancient history and long memories!

But in the same vein, and just to cheer up Martin, I can reflect on the last time I saw Tottenham play at Old Trafford. On that occasion, his namesake Mr Peters scored a hat-trick.. in fact it might have been four... I think I started to lose interest in football from that point on....

I also have an idea that on my way home from that match I consoled myself by buying a copy of "By Request: More of the Greatest Live Show On Earth" from that little record shop there used to be at the top of the approach road to Piccadilly station....

Andrew :)



Thanks Andrew you are extremely thoughtful. Peters scored all 4 in our win that year; the next year we won at Old trafford as well ,1-0, Peters scoring again. Of course if it hadn't been for the equaliser in the last seconds of normal time,he would also have scored the winning goal in the World Cup Final. ( had Greavsie played it'd all be over by then anyway)
Just so you know it's not all doom & gloom,we won there another year after being 2 down at half time. I attended a 21st in the function room there that night. Now don't mention the premiership years - this is my moment !
Dave Mackays recent autobiography is a great read, & shows he bears no malice toward United or 'Cant' as Dave calls him. :wink:

I remember the record shop,as well as Robinsons at the top of Deansgate that had racks of US imports with the cardboard sleeves & holes punched in them that I'd never seen the like of before ! (innocence!) When I bought 'By request',I came across it in a similar shop & didn't even know the record existed.....they were the good old days; these days we all had LMS before it was even released. (it's still good to get your hands on the 'record'.....but I'd never even heard a lot of discs I bought till I played them when I got home )
Martin.
martin bates

 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:16 pm

,as well as Robinsons at the top of Deansgate


Manchester was indeed a paradise for record shops in the early 70s... they were all over the place......John Dalton Street (at least two!), Oxford Road, Piccadily Plaza etc..etc.. I can remember finding "Soul My Way" in a basement bookshop/record shop on Lower Moseley Street...

And what was the name of that fellow who had a place a bit out of town on the Oldham Road (I think!)..(George Davenport?) he was country music mad.. his was the first place I saw things like the French issue of "The Return of Rock"... much later he moved to a first-storey shop somewhere out towards the University..

Even Stockport (my usual first port of call) had abundant stores.. there must have been six or seven places just in and around Merseyway where you could buy records, certainly if you count in Boots and Smiths. I recall "Boots" got my business for "The Session" back in March 73... it was also the best place to get your heavy-duty pvc covers... much the best ever made; all my really precious Lewis albums are still housed in the thick-edged Boots variety!

But Robinsons (technically just over the bridge in Salford?) was, as you suggest, perhaps the ultimate.... many a happy Saturday morning spent in there... I think most of my Sun International US issues came from Robinsons ... plus all my Faron Young Mercury albums, George Jones on Musicor etc.. all at £1.50 a throw.

Andrew :)
Andrew McRae

User avatar
 
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Postby flip54 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:19 pm

Assume you won't be reading Mr Cheerful Combover's brand "new" book then, personally I'm more inline with big Jackie`s assessment of his lil bro

Back in schooldays in North Wales everyone either supported Spurs or the Mancs (apart from a small bunch of Burnley diehards). hands off Berbatov! Shame about Ole Solskear retiring, neat player and a decent lad

Flip

PS Fancy waiting until post 69 to get GLSOE! ;-)



Andrew McRae wrote:
Dave Mackay's leg,


Jeez, talk about ancient history and long memories!


Andrew :)
flip54

 
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:34 am

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:40 pm

PS Fancy waiting until post 69 to get GLSOE!



You forget, I was 'blind and uninitiated' until the Spring of '72 and "The Killer Rocks On" (my first JLL LP).... once 'awakened', I wasted as little time as possible in 'catching up'... within a year I had the basics of 'the collection' - more than 50 JLL LPs (*).... the only significant ones outstanding by the autumn of '73 were "Breathless" (London) and "Memphis Beat"... unbelievably, it took until the summer of 1975 to find either one of them...and then I bagged both on the same day... "Breathless" at Reddingtons and "Memphis Beat" at that place in Croydon... (you couldn't rely on Manchester shops alone)...quite an excursion to achieve something that could now be done in no time at all, sat here on my a**e, at the press of a button!

Andrew

(*) - bought a few more since then!
Andrew McRae

User avatar
 
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests