Football!

Football!

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:08 pm

Why is it that so many football fans in the UK do not support their local teams? If I was going to support any team then it would be Margate F.C. (or perhaps Millwall, my local team when I was growing up in south London). You could just argue "I support the best team!", but in that case try cheering for Germany or Brazil in a pub during the world cup... :shock:
peterchecksfield

Re: Football!

Postby Piet » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:34 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Why is it that so many football fans in the UK do not support their local teams? If I was going to support any team then it would be Margate F.C. (or perhaps Millwall, my local team when I was growing up in south London). You could just argue "I support the best team!", but in that case try cheering for Germany or Brazil in a pub during the world cup... :shock:

Oh no Peter, after the smoking you've managed to get things start rolling again "FOOTBALL" well you know how to get more posts on here then in the Yahoo forum, in this case I'm a fan of PSV Eindhoven all my life because it's also based in the south were we live.
Piet

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:38 pm

Piet wrote:well you know how to get more posts on here then in the Yahoo forum, in this case I'm a fan of PSV Eindhoven all my life because it's also based in the south were we live.

And that's the way it should be! We have people around here (in the south) who support Liverpool & people up north who support Arsenal (in London) or whatever. Yet when someone on a train shouted "ENGALANNDDD!" to me a couple of years back & I shouted back "GERMAAANNYYYYY!" he got very upset... :roll:
peterchecksfield

Postby Piet » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:42 pm

Yeh, I would get mad too, you should have shoud "HOLLAND" :!:
Piet

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:47 pm

Piet wrote:Yeh, I would get mad too, you should have shoud "HOLLAND" :!:

No, I should've shouted "I hate football so f*ck off!!!" :twisted:
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:48 pm

Football is like watching paint dry.
Millionaires kicking around a bag of air and kissing each other if they get it in!!
:wink:
IAN
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:02 pm

And that's the way it should be! We have people around here (in the south) who support Liverpool & people up north who support Arsenal (in London) or whatever.

Pete, why do you listen to Jerry Lee Lewis and the music of the American south, rather than listen to maypole dances and sea shanties, i.e. the indigenous music of Kent? :wink:

Actually, I used to be in sympathy with your argument until football got to the point of all top-level teams having absolutely no players on their books who were born within 50 miles of the host town. Now you're lucky if they've got any players who were born on the same continent. The whole thing is a load of bollocks. As for 'national' teams being 'managed' by foreign born 'coaches, well, they get the results they deserve....!

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:10 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
Pete, why do you listen to Jerry Lee Lewis and the music of the American south, rather than listen to maypole dances and sea shanties, i.e. the indigenous music of Kent? :wink:

That would be a valid point if football fans supported teams from the other side of the country AND foreign teams, but it doesn't happen that way.

And I think there should be some sort of rule that at least (say) 75% of team members should be 'local'.

(God I must be bored!!!)
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:21 pm

Football? Is that the thing where they run around with tennis helmets, chasing that small black square thing?

:wink:

Perk
Perk

Postby Piet » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:47 pm

No Perk, 20 players run after the ball and when they finally got it, they kick it away again. :lol:

Piet
Piet

Postby Perk » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:05 pm

No Perk, 20 players run after the ball and when they finally got it, they kick it away again.

Piet

Damn, and i who have read the "Encyclopedia Of sports" to understand these things ...grrr!

:D

Perk
Perk

Postby martin bates » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:36 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Why is it that so many football fans in the UK do not support their local teams? If I was going to support any team then it would be Margate F.C. (or perhaps Millwall, my local team when I was growing up in south London). You could just argue "I support the best team!", but in that case try cheering for Germany or Brazil in a pub during the world cup... :shock:

I think this has run it's course really; but I can't help thinking the subject was inspired by a comment of mine in another thread..... I support Spurs because they were the team that captured my imagination as a young lad;I've stuck with them through thick & thin since then (well,mostly thin) as loyally as anyone supporting their local, or any other team.It's certainly not a case of following the 'best team' -although I think there is an element of that in some of the bigger clubs like Madrid or Man U. Players & Managers in any sport have always come from far and wide;the transfer system in football active from the early days of the professional game.I do agree that where national teams are concerned it's crazy having a foreign coach.Now I believe Howard is about to post a set list from tonights show......
martin bates

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:49 pm

Players & Managers in any sport have always come from far and wide

Try telling that to a cricket-mad Yorkshireman a generation ago...!

Andrew :lol:
Andrew McRae

Postby martin bates » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:05 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
Players & Managers in any sport have always come from far and wide

Try telling that to a cricket-mad Yorkshireman a generation ago...!

Andrew :lol:

correct Andrew ! I had it in my mind to include that notable exception,but Howards call took my mind to more serious matters; as they say the exception that proves the rule.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby bailbath » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:22 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Football and cricket :roll:
bailbath

Site Admin

Next

Return to Off topic