King's Hotel Newport R.I.P.

Re: King's Hotel Newport R.I.P.

Postby PeterC » Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm

yorkshire88 wrote:Came across this photo and had no idea where and when it was taken - but wait, is that PC in the background? So, must have been Newport in either '91 or '92?!!

Hahaha, long forgot about that!

The piano player is from Sonny West and The Rhythm Kings, so it's 1991 (Linda had a different band led by Dave Travis in 1992).
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Mon May 14, 2012 11:50 am

Linda Gail Lewis and Russ, King's Hotel, 9th November 1991.

PeterC

Postby yorkshire88 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:03 pm

"I'm just sitting here reminiscing..."

Thanks Peter!
yorkshire88

Postby PeterC » Tue May 15, 2012 5:21 pm

yorkshire88 wrote:"I'm just sitting here reminiscing..."

Thanks Peter!

You're welcome! What was the name of your friend who you often hung around with in those days (not Jay Halsey, a younger guy around your age)? I have a couple of photos of him somewhere too.

Here's Chris "Brother" Davies in Newport in March '93:

PeterC

Postby Chris Davies » Wed May 16, 2012 8:23 am

PeterC wrote:
yorkshire88 wrote:"I'm just sitting here reminiscing..."

Thanks Peter!

You're welcome! What was the name of your friend who you often hung around with in those days (not Jay Halsey, a younger guy around your age)? I have a couple of photos of him somewhere too.

Here's Chris "Brother" Davies in Newport in March '93:

I believe the "younger guy" was called Richard and he made a reappearance at one of the last conventions. He played some pretty good piano back in '93 but had stopped playing altogether when he returned to the Kings (with his wife/girl friend). I also remember that he did not recall much about JLL's performances at the Kings due to his vast alcohol consumption that weekend (I think he passed out in the bar on Sat evening).

Jay was such a nice guy, I thought he was very cool at the first convention that I went to, wearing the "John Wayne" Eagle shirt" like the Killer. The following year at the convention Jay was wearing some strange techno gear and a baseball cap!!!!!
Chris Davies

Postby yorkshire88 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:50 am

PeterC wrote:What was the name of your friend who you often hung around with in those days (not Jay Halsey, a younger guy around your age)? I have a couple of photos of him somewhere too.

That was Rich "Franny" Francis. I met Rich in about '87/'88 when my brother came home with him from school. He'd played piano since an early age, but mostly classical and ragtime, so I told him I'd show him some piano playing which would blow his mind, and put on Hammersmith '83. It did blow his mind, and we've been firm friends ever since. Chris is right though - the three of us spent most of our time at the hotel bar or the local pubs when in Newport! The last time Rich was in Newport will, I think, have been in '96 when Frankie Jean came over, although I was living in Hong Kong at the time so couldn't make it.

Jay seemed to turn his back on the R 'n' R music scene altogether as early as '93 when Jerry played at The Kings, although he did turn up at the BBQ at Jerry's ranch in April '96 (sporting a crew cut!). The last I heard about Jay was that he was living in Turkey with his new partner and was battling stomach cancer. Good guy though, did a lot for Lousiana's music in and around his hometown of Burgess Hill, and rightly inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame in October '92.

Rich and I in Frankie Jean's kitchen in March '92.

Rich, me and Jay with LGL in London, November '92.
yorkshire88

Postby PeterC » Wed May 16, 2012 11:29 am

I heard Jay was sick too, but he turned up at Mary Jean's London concert in 2006 looking the same as he always did (he wasn't tempted to go to Jerry's London show the next day though).
PeterC

Previous

Return to Off topic