Talking about that Old Time Religion

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:23 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
Richard Harvey wrote:And, it fucks kids up.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. Surely most Christians are no more "fucked up" than those people who believe in nothing at all?

I know some Catholics who'll take you up on that argument.

It not only fucks kids up, it fucks up society. So many of our hang-ups are rooted in christianity. As Tony pointed out, it's a pretty controlling book and it should be in a museum, not used as a plan for life!
Women are still treated second class in 'educated countries' even today, (they earn less for the same jobs etc), this stems from the bible, (which actually teaches us women are evil with the very first lesson, what was her name again? oh yes. . )
--
Richard Harvey

Never could accept all of it

Postby catmom68 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:59 am

I have been verbally attacked when I point out that the bible was written by men. As a female, I am not taking the stand that no women's chapters and books were added into the last historical revamp, blah blah blah. I simply use commen knowledge that women in general have alot to say- all the time- and I am sure if any of these men were married- a wife or two HAD to peep over a shoulder and say, "No dearie- say it this way..lolol You should see the fireworks. Let alone human nature is to compete, exagurate, or lie. I adore the discovery and science stations that actually test the bible stories to see if they could scientifically occured or been true.
I am against anyone's religion persecuting anyone else. And raised my children in that manner. That is why there are so many angry people in the world, period. An outline for morality is one thing, persecution and manipulating is quite another. I could never accept hail and brimstone, nor ignore the hurt caused by these actions.
catmom68

Re: Never could accept all of it

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:31 am

catmom68 wrote:I am against anyone's religion persecuting anyone else. And raised my children in that manner. That is why there are so many angry people in the world, period. An outline for morality is one thing, persecution and manipulating is quite another. I could never accept hail and brimstone, nor ignore the hurt caused by these actions.

Your kids are lucky they have you for a Mum (and I don't do internet platitudes, so think yourself lucky!).

What a great thread this has turned out to be. No-one arguing, some fantastic points raised. . hooray!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:31 am

catmom68 wrote:I am against anyone's religion persecuting anyone else. And raised my children in that manner. That is why there are so many angry people in the world, period. An outline for morality is one thing, persecution and manipulating is quite another. I could never accept hail and brimstone, nor ignore the hurt caused by these actions.

Your kids are lucky they have you for a Mum (and I don't do internet platitudes, so think yourself lucky!).

What a great thread this has turned out to be. No-one arguing, some fantastic points raised. . hooray!
--
Richard Harvey

Thanks

Postby catmom68 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:16 am

Thank you, but you know what? I am no saint, by a long shot. You know we all learn when we volunteer or help others even in small ways, that at any given moment we could be on the other side. We all have seen those folks who have had unfortunate occurances, look to the sky and wonder why me? People held in these high religous standings use those unfortunate moments, occurances or inner conflicts to prey...It's like kicking someone while their down. It's manipulative and these idiots feed more injustice and/or karma if you will, to the wounded. How dare they judge another? Remember the old come back when we were growing up? "Who died and left you boss, anyway? They think the bible story of Christ is the answer to that question and then gives them the right inflict on that basis. Bull.
catmom68

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:50 am

Richard Harvey wrote:

That's because no die-hard Christians have joined in the debate yet (unfortunately).
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:32 pm

I missed most of this thread as I was at church praying for your souls.Repent now and you should be ok (apart from Richard Harvey).
Ian :lol: :lol:
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby bailbath » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:47 pm

Being serious now when I was 8 my parents joined the Jehovahs Witness religion to which we as a family went too for some years. The JW's have a strict code but not as strict as Assembly of God religion. My Dad and Mum divorced when I was 13 and a few years later my Dad joined the Assembly of God in the uk.
My experience of religion has changed me but also I think made me a stronger person now I have survived it. I see religion as man made and nothing to do with God. It is easy to be able to use religion to control people who perhaps are ill informed, in a poor position in life or are looking for something in their life's. Religion is not the only thing man uses to control and sometimes we are controlled and we don't realize it example - materialism.
I no longer am in a religion and not for some time.I will not fall into that trap again.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Piet » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:12 pm

bailbath wrote: I will not fall into that trap again.
Ian

Karen got you trapped :P :P
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby bailbath » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:28 pm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=THRSndOOZik
Couldn't resist putting this link up.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:44 pm

According to this clip Jerry Lee obviously appreciates Swaggart a lot (unlike Richard), even admits that "they think alike":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hmorKPR ... annel_page
wolfgangguhl

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:49 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:According to this clip Jerry Lee obviously appreciates Swaggart a lot (unlike Richard), even admits that "they think alike":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hmorKPR ... annel_page

Yes, that's a bit worrying, but not unsurprising given their religious background.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Cleveland

Postby catmom68 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:01 am

You know, when Jerry was inducted into the R & R Living Master's, Jimmy performed there and I was surprised that it went relatively calm. I am not sure exactly what I expected...The mere fact Jimmy came there brought tears to Jerry's eyes when he performed. I suppose it's time for everyone in the family to see that Jerry was not the "blackest sheep", nor damned to hell because of his music, or his lifestyle. Just like eveyone, he has his problems with being human and Jimmy needed to come back down a few treads on that "Stairway to Heaven", eh? I just cannot stand judgemental religous folks! Again, I ask- "Who died and left them in charge, anyway?"
Hugs,
Marla
catmom68

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:08 am

Richard Harvey wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:A bit like Santa Claus...
The one difference of course is that the adults know they are lying about Santa Claus, but they feel that they're right when teaching their religion (& just maybe they are right?!). So why shouldn't a parent teach a child what they think is right or wrong?

Because they are most likely wrong.

There's no more evidence for Santa than there is for a omniprescent sky god. But because the parents have been taught to believe, they think it's right to teach their kids. It's on-going. If it doesn't stop, it won't.

And, it fucks kids up.

Richard --

I would like to repsectfully disagree...

If I were to give you all the parts to a watch in a box and gave you the rest of your life to shake that box and open it every 60 seconds, at what point do you think you could open that box and find the watch put together and fully functional? The same with a car engine or a house.

So while we can't explain or likely ever know how "God" got here, there's way too much intelligent design evidence on earth and in the comos to think it all happened by accident.

Regards,
Tim
Tim in St. Louis

Die hard Christians

Postby nicolaas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:31 am

peterchecksfield
That's because no die-hard Christians have joined in the debate yet (unfortunately).

Hey you asked for a die hard Christian? Here's one.
I think its a shame people are judging other people's religion while not being religious for themselves.
The discussion about kids i think is ridiculous as for religion, believing in God is something you really beleive. There fore you educate your children in that way. When you do not believe in God, you also educate your children telling them there is no God. So you decide for them too, its the same to me.
But kids have to be fed, the same goes for religion, they have to be thought.
And not only kids, but i will try to not start preaching the gospel over here as that is not my point.
When i was younger and we went to church, it wasnt always the thing i wanted to do, but that goes for a lot of things. Then when you get older you experience the closeness of God, the helping out when im in trouble.
I maybe was pretty late in experiencing that, but i have a daughter of 10 who believes in God and i think i can learn of her, her faith is so strong i dont know the words to tell this but its exceptional. I also do have stepson (15yrs), which says he doesnt believe in God. Off course thats possible, and nobody is forcing him to believe anything.

Saying Christians are fucked up, does bring us back to Hitler who said Jews where fucked up?
You don't have to tell me, i know some people are fucked up, also Christians, don't let nobody fool you.

But in the end there's just One you should have your expectations on...

... and its not jerry.

But for y'all to say it in jerry's words, My God Is Real - Gimme that oldtime religion, its good enough for me
nicolaas

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic