Jayne Mansfield
36%
Mamie Van Doren
36%

Total votes : 11

Marilyn, Mansfield or Mamie?

Postby PeterC » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:28 pm

Vote for your favourite! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Last edited by PeterC on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

Re: Marilyn, Mansfield or Mamie?

Postby PeterC » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:26 pm

Oops, I've been told that one of the photos above is in fact an impersonator (not that anyone here is likely to notice, as so far I'm the only one who's voted for my favourite of these 3 legends)... :roll:

EDIT: Now corrected!
Last edited by PeterC on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

Postby chris morris » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:30 am

Can I take all 3? Well, at my age you need something to dream about....If push comes to shove (!) I'd probably go for Jayne Mansfield because of her great performance in "The Girl Can't Help It."

Chris
chris morris

Postby PeterC » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:00 pm

I recently put together DVDs of each of them (compiled from their movie & TV appearances), so I've been thinking about this...

MARILYN MONROE: A true icon of course, but I did think her a tad overrated until I watched some of her movies again. Now I've changed my mind, she was a great actress, had a good voice, and real star appeal. Like Elvis Presley, everyone knows what Marilyn Monroe looked like! She never made a rock & roll movie though (I'm guessing she thought herself a bit above all that!).

JAYNE MANSFIELD: Is there a more defining rock & roll movie moment than Little Richard singing 'She's Got It' while Ms Mansfield wiggles past in a tight dress? Oddly though there were no other rock & roll movie appearances. She was a bit too bimbo-ish for my tastes, and her singing voice was no more than mediocre (in some movies her singing voice was dubbed; for example in 'The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw' the voice you're hearing is actually Connie Francis!).

MAMIE VAN DOREN: Nearly always relegated to runner-up status when compared to Marilyn or Jayne, she had far more to do with rock & roll than both of them. A run of movies that featured such co-stars as Eddie Cochran ('Untamed Youth'), Jerry Lee Lewis ('High School Confidential') and Conway Twitty (both 'College Confidential' and 'Sex Kittens Go To College'), she also (in a fashion) sang rock & roll songs, probably the first actress to do so. Additionally she's a survivor, still outrageous in her 80s. So if Marilyn Monroe is comparable to Elvis, then Mamie is the female actress equivalent of Jerry Lee Lewis! This is why she gets MY vote. :D

PeterC

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:06 am

Just 3 votes? C'mon folks, you can do better than that. There's at least 5 people who use this forum these days... :oops:
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:24 pm

No prizes for guessing which song this is based on!

PeterC

Postby chris morris » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:51 pm

I agree that Marilyn is by far the best actress of the three but I had in mind the very scene from "The Girl Can't help It" that Peter mentioned when I voted for Jayne Mansfield. It's probably the most iconic bit of film in r'n'r...even beating Jerry Lee standing on the piano in the Granada special. In fact, I think JM's bimbo persona was a bit of an act. Mind you, I remember reading about her appearances in England when her career was on the skids just before she died. Her dogs had been impounded and so she had acquired two Chihuahuas to keep her company on tour. She was booked (and this is true) to open the Hackney Budgerigar and Cage Bird Annual Show. Apparently, she wiggled on stage and asked the mostly male audience if they'd like to see her Chihuahuas! I gather there was an enthusiastic response...

Chris
chris morris

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 pm

chris morris wrote:Apparently, she wiggled on stage and asked the mostly male audience if they'd like to see her Chihuahuas! I gather there was an enthusiastic response...

Haha! There could've been a promising career ahead in the "Carry On" films!

Here's covers I put together for the recent DVDs I compiled:

PeterC

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:52 pm

I've already posted videos of Mamie and Jayne, so here's a video of Marilyn (from the 1953 movie 'Niagara'). She never looked better imo.

PeterC

Postby martin bates » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:31 am

In the interests of democracy, I've cast my vote . ( for Marilyn. )

Martin.
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:54 am

Currently Jayne and Mamie are equally leading with 4 votes each, and Marilyn is trailing behind with 2 votes.
PeterC

Return to Off topic