Dr. George Nichopoulos

Dr. George Nichopoulos

Postby Tumppi » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:49 pm

I just read from finnish Elvis facebook group that Dr. Nick died yesterday.
Tumppi

Re: Dr. George Nichopoulos

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:51 pm

PeterC

Dr. Nick R.I.P.

Postby Dirk B. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:53 pm

As Dr. Nick was not only Elvis' doctor, but also Jerry Lee's doctor I post that in this section:

Elvis Presley's physician George Nichopoulos - known as 'Dr Nick' - who was accused of helping cause The King's death by over-prescribing him drugs dies aged 88
George Nichopoulos, known as Dr Nick, died in Memphis on Wednesday
A graduate of Vanderbilt University, he began treating The King in 1967
He took on the job full-time in 1970, and until The King's death in 1977 he was almost solely responsible for treating the singer
Following Elvis's death, and the discovery of 14 separate drugs in his system, Dr Nick was put on trial for over-prescription but acquitted
His licence was eventually stripped from him in 1995 after another over-prescribing scandal, during which he admitted 'caring too much'

By Chris Pleasance For Dailymail.com

He passed away on Wednesday in his home town of Memphis, Tennessee, according to officials at the Memorial Park Funeral Home and Cemetery, who gave no cause of death.

For decades the grey-haired Dr Nick was a well-respected but largely anonymous member of a Memphis group practice. Even when he began treating The King in 1967, his name was unknown.

It was not until shortly after the singer's death in 1977, when a cocktail of 14 different drugs were found in his system that Dr Nick's name became headline news - for all the wrong reasons.

Born in Ridgeway, Pennsylvania, in October 1927 to Greek immigrant parents, Nichopoulos grew up in Anniston, Alabama, after his father moved there to open up a cafe.

He served in the medical corps of the U.S. Army from 1946 until 1948, before going on to study at the University of the South. He earned his medical licence from Vanderbilt University in 1959.

An esteemed Memphis physician, he once said in an interview with The Observer that the parents of an AIDS sufferer bought the house next door to his, so he could treat their child until he died.

At the time he was introduced to Elvis, he was just one doctor in a practice of six others, specializing in internal medicine.

Elvis came to Dr Nick in 1967 looking for treatment for insomnia which was caused, at least in part, by his reliance on amphetamines which were prescribed as an appetite suppressant at the time.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z41HmKsW00
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Dirk B.

Re: Dr. Nick R.I.P.

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Pointless having it in two sections.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3328
PeterC

Postby Dirk B. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:59 pm

I looked at the JLL section and at the "other artists"-section as well - but not in the "chat, off topic"-section. This is, of course, not "off topic", but has to do with the killer.
Dirk B.

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Dirk B. wrote:I looked at the JLL section and at the "other artists"-section as well - but not in the "chat, off topic"-section. This is, of course, not "off topic", but has to do with the killer.

Well it's up to Ian where he wants it. Meanwhile I'll comment in the first post.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:04 pm

I've heard very mixed opinions of Dr Nick. Linda Gail blames him for all of Jerry's ills (when she's not blaming Myra, Jaren and Kerrie that is), but Kerrie insists that Jerry wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for Dr Nick.
PeterC

Postby Tumppi » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:27 pm

PeterC wrote:I've heard very mixed opinions of Dr Nick. Linda Gail blames him for all of Jerry's ills (when she's not blaming Myra, Jaren and Kerrie that is), but Kerrie insists that Jerry wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for Dr Nick.

Quite much the same opinions I've read from people close to Elvis too. Some blame him for Elvis's death, some say that if it wasn't for him Elvis would have died much earlier. Resting on the books I've read about Elvis's last years, Dr Nick tried to get Elvis out of drugs. The problem was that when Elvis didn't get the drugs from him, he got them from other sources.
Tumppi

Postby PeterC » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:17 am

Facebook post from Kerrie:

My dearest Dr Nick we are so sorry and apologize to you for the ignorance of the media that does not know how to recognize a man of such honor valor and courage such as yourself . forgive us all.. Stupidity and Lies sell, honesty and truth does not as I very well know. One day you will be honored for the man that we all knew and loved so much.. I saw I know and I witnessed you save a lot of human lives and I know right now God is giving you the utmost love for the love that you gave every human being that came into your life.. Rest in peace you beautiful man and know that despite the ignorance of this world you are very much loved.
PeterC

Postby Piet » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Here we see Dr. Nick on the right side next to Jerry and Kerrie
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby PeterC » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Piet wrote:Image

Here we see Dr. Nick on the right side next to Jerry and Kerrie

Jerry was always smiling when Dr Nick was around! :wink:
PeterC