Cecil Harrelson RIP

Re: Cecil Harrelson RIP

Postby PeterC » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:29 pm

martin bates wrote:
PeterC wrote:Does anyone know what he died of?

Hi Peter;
I only heard myself today in a brief telephone call from Rob Swinnerton. (I've been in work).
My understanding is that he had been ill and that MJ recently flew to the states & was with him before the end, and that pleases me for both of them.
In answer to your other question - I had always assumed he was still with Stacey; I don't know for certain.

Martin.

Thank you Martin.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:24 pm

http://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=2134663&fh_id=11543

Obituaries

Cecil Jerome Harrelson
(January 13, 1935 - June 27, 2013)

Cecil Jerome Harrelson passed from this life on Thursday June 27, 2013 at the age of 78 years, after an extended illness at the St. Francis Medical Center, Downtown Campus, Monroe, LA. Cecil was born on January 13, 1935 at Columbia, LA to the union of his parents Clarence Jerome Harrelson and Edna Lois (McKee) Harrelson.

Cecil was a retired Business Manager and a Singer-Song Writer, having worked for music superstar Jerry Lee Lewis. He was preceded in death by his parents and was a friend to all.

Survivors include his son, Cecil Harrelson, Jr. of Columbia; two daughters: Edona Marie Roundtree and husband, Todd of Angleton, Texas and Mary Jean Harrelson of Columbia; two sisters: Edna H. Festervand of Columbia and Norma Hawkes and husband, Phillip of Raceland, LA; and three grandchildren: Douglas, Brenna, and Anna. Private graveside services will be held at 2 pm Friday, June 28, 2013 at the Welcome Home Cemetery at Grayson with Rev. Steve Briscoe officiating. Services are under direction of Riser Funeral Home of Columbia.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Although no-one else has commented, I find it very strange indeed that the funeral was the very next day (I don't think he was Jewish or a Moslem or any other religion that insists on this?). Whose decision was this? It didn't exactly give time for relatives to attend the funeral, particularly his daughter MaryJean who lives in Scotland... :?
PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:06 pm

I remember him and Jerry having a big argument about two years ago. Reportly Jerry got so angry he had to be rushed to the hospital. Did they have any contact after this disagreement?

I still think that Jerry will be sad nevertheless. I think the good experiences with Cecil far outweigh the bad.
wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:12 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:I remember him and Jerry having a big argument about two years ago. Reportly Jerry got so angry he had to be rushed to the hospital. Did they have any contact after this disagreement?

I still think that Jerry will be sad nevertheless. I think the good experiences with Cecil far outweigh the bad.

It seems that Cecil had been ill for some time, so hopefully word got to Jerry and they sorted their differences out.
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:29 pm

I also thought this strange. He dies late in the day of the 27th and is actually buried at 2 p.m. early afternoon on the 28th. Not even a wake??? Was this closed casket? Ill for some time. With what...cancer? Some unanswered important stuff here. Did Jerry attend his life-long friend's funeral?
Rocky

Postby bailbath » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:26 am

There is also a guestbook where you can leave messages of condolence.

http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/Batesvi ... =165570074
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby thrund » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:15 am

Interview with Cecil....posted by Graham Knight via FB:

"INTERVIEW WITH THER LATE CECIL HARRELSON
Cecil was at school with Jerry Lee Lewis and later worked for Jerry in all kinds of roles - road manager, valet, chauffeur, songwriter, business adviser, piano sound technician etc.
In this interview... talks about his life with Jerry Lee Lewis and Cecil was still working for Jerry well into Cecil's seventies.
Cecil was always great with us fans and people like Faye Coffey, Terry Adams and me have known him for over 50 years.
Everyone will miss Cecil and this is my little tribute to his memory. I will write a bit more about Cecil for Trevor Cajiao's Now Dig This Magazine.
This interview was done immediately after a Jerry Lee Lewis show at Rolf Bresser's Kinodrom in Germany. This video was originally meant to be private and I want to thank Rolf for allowing all the fans to see it - Thanks Rolf!"

Video: http://www.knightsaberdeen.com/cecil1.wmv

Thanks to Graham & Rolf!

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby PeterC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:40 am

The video won't play for me... :?
PeterC

Postby bailbath » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:04 pm

PeterC wrote:The video won't play for me... :?

Should play in your browser. Try Firefox or Google Chrome.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby PeterC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:10 pm

bailbath wrote:

I use Firefox, but it just tries (and fails) to play in Windows Media Player. Oh well, no big deal (I'm sure it will end up on YouTube).
PeterC

Postby thrund » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:24 pm

PeterC wrote:
bailbath wrote:

I use Firefox, but it just tries (and fails) to play in Windows Media Player. Oh well, no big deal (I'm sure it will end up on YouTube).

Loading need a lil bit of time....video is almost 20 minutes long.

Thomas
thrund

Postby PeterC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:45 pm

I just get an error message, but someone has kindly sent me the video... I've just viewed a bit of it to check that it plays, & it's fine (Rolfie should invest in a tripod though!). I'll watch it properly later. :D
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:25 pm

I've watched it now, very enjoyable! A couple of quick observations: How appalling that Cecil never received any publishing royalties for his songs (except from Bob McCarver!), (2) They should've got Linda Gail to join in the conversation when she entered the room, & (3) It's very sad that Jerry only plays piano nowadays when he performs a concert (or in the recording studio of course), though I think we all guessed that already.
PeterC

Postby thrund » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:11 am

PeterC wrote:...(2) They should've got Linda Gail to join in the conversation when she entered the room,...

They've filmed a separate interview with Linda Gail.

Thomas
thrund

PreviousNext

Return to Manager, fan's and assorted topics