wolfgangguhl

Re: B.B. Cunningham shot dead in Memphis

Postby thrund » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Funeral info:

Forest Hill East
Viewing: Thursday 5-8 pm
Funeral: Friday 10 am

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:52 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:A very detailed report on the tragedy can be read here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html

Did he really add percussion to an Elvis Sun recording? :shock:
PeterC

Postby thrund » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm

PeterC wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:A very detailed report on the tragedy can be read here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html

from BB's official bio:
"One night in 1954, Sam Phillips asked him to add some percussion to a recording session for a new artist who was just getting started, named Elvis Presley. From that session came the recordings, "Blue Moon of Kentucky" and "Good Rockin' Tonight"."

BB & Elvis 1956

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Nice story... except that 'Blue Moon Of Kentucky' was recorded about the 5th July 1954 and 'Good Rockin' Tonight' was recorded on 10th September 1954, at least according to the book I have.
PeterC

Postby Tumppi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:38 pm

thrund wrote:
PeterC wrote:

from BB's official bio:
"One night in 1954, Sam Phillips asked him to add some percussion to a recording session for a new artist who was just getting started, named Elvis Presley. From that session came the recordings, "Blue Moon of Kentucky" and "Good Rockin' Tonight"."

Thomas

According to Ernst Jörgensen's new excellent "A Boy From Tupelo" book (released by BMG's 'Follow That Dream' record label) it was the recording session for 'Just Because', likely recorded between 12-16.9.1954.

It's very very sad that B.B. Cunningham had to die because this kind of shit, I've never been much into on the opening acts of JLL shows but B.B's performances were always very enjoyable, very talented musician and charismatic performer.
Last edited by Tumppi on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tumppi

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Tumppi wrote:According to Ernst Jörgensen's new excellent "A Boy From Tupelo" book (released by BMG's 'Follow That Dream' record label) it was the recording session for 'Just Because', likely recorded between 12-16.9.1954.

Ok, thanks. That makes more sense.
PeterC

Postby bluesinc. » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:18 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Seems like the 16-year-old boy was one of the aggressors, so I am not feeling sorry for this guy.

i´m feeling sorry for everyone who has to die this way.... you can never change your life again
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:06 pm

bluesinc. wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:Seems like the 16-year-old boy was one of the aggressors, so I am not feeling sorry for this guy.

i´m feeling sorry for everyone who has to die this way.... you can never change your life again

I agree. He was just a child almost.
PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:01 pm

He threatened others. And there is no excuse, just because he was only 16 years old.
wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:39 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:He threatened others. And there is no excuse, just because he was only 16 years old.

I'm not blaming B.B. or whoever shot him, I just think that any loss of a human life is a waste, and especially someone so young.

I hate the damn American gun culture so much! Of course, there's guns everywhere, but at least here in the UK it's usually street gangs, with armed break-ins almost unheard of (and even gang killings are rare enough for them to still be main news stories). Someone in Memphis on one of those links said that they didn't take much notice of hearing the gunshots as they hear them all the time... well I don't know about anyone else but in my half a century on this planet I've never heard any gunfire except by people out hunting with shotguns or when I've been near army training grounds.
PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 pm

I absolutely agree with that, Peter. It is a waste.
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:45 pm

As you pointed out there is a possibility but no evidence that it was B.B., who shot the boy. Maybe it was someone else as there was already a shooting before B.B. came on the scene. Maybe it was B.B. trying to defend himself only to get shot by second guy. Whatever way he tried to protect people and paid with his life.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:36 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:As you pointed out there is a possibility but no evidence that it was B.B., who shot the boy. Maybe it was someone else as there was already a shooting before B.B. came on the scene. Maybe it was B.B. trying to defend himself only to get shot by second guy. Whatever way he tried to protect people and paid with his life.

I've refrained from voicing these thoughts publicly, but there is a real possibility BB shot the 16 year old gunman. The fact is the 22 year old has been charged with BB's murder, but significantly nobody's been named as having shot the 16 year old. It surely must have been one of the two security guards.

I sympathize with Peter's statement, it is a tragic loss of life. But what is a policeman or security guard to do when faced with gunmen, and these were actually firing at the security guards? It was the shots which first alerted BB and made him run to the scene apparently.

In London last year a guy in Tottenham had a gun and police shot him dead, and then riots broke out all over the country. Arson, looting, rioting because a man with a gun was shot by the police. I don't know about America where everyone has guns, but in England if you carry a gun in a city (i.e. not in the country for hunting, etc.) you are liable to be shot by armed police whose job is protect the public and the police themselves. So if BB did shoot the younger gunman, I really can't blame him. The fact BB got shot dead apparently by the other gunman just proves how dangerous these criminals were, whatever their age.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby niek81 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Tumppi wrote:
thrund wrote:
PeterC wrote:

from BB's official bio:

Thomas

According to Ernst Jörgensen's new excellent "A Boy From Tupelo" book (released by BMG's 'Follow That Dream' record label) it was the recording session for 'Just Because', likely recorded between 12-16.9.1954.

It's very very sad that B.B. Cunningham had to die because this kind of shit, I've never been much into on the opening acts of JLL shows but B.B's performances were always very enjoyable, very talented musician and charismatic performer.

I'm not happy with the way USA deals with people having a gun. But I feel even more sorry that someone like BB had to do this kind of job (from what I heard his wife does the same job sometimes as well, and Gary also) to bring in money at 70 year old....
niek81

PreviousNext

Return to Manager, fan's and assorted topics