:D nice one Henry
bailbath

Site Admin

Re: Twisted South Magazin

Postby thrund » Sun May 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Sad news from Twisted South FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/Twistedsouth/p ... 2754484360

Dear Friends,

It is with a sad heart that I tell you that I am shutting down the magazine. Over 1200 print magazines have failed in less than 2 years predominantly due to the internet. I could go, “Pop,” and fill my magazine with Bieber’s and Underwood’s but that has never been a part of my musical palette. I love authenticity, “the music money can’t buy.” I have done my best to support indie musicians, models, photographers, artists and writers that wanted to see their work off the computer screen and in the hands of the reader/listener/viewer in a tactile format. Though my path was not towards the money it was certainly towards a bigger vision which is the reminder that art comes from the soul and art without soul is just taking up space.

We have faced great obstacles and had to fight with people who should have by the laws of nature been supportive but we held on and went on to be named one of Library Journal’s “Best New Magazines of 2010." Now we are in a battle that will require me to focus not on my projects but on helping the woman I love find justice and retain the dignity she has more than earned.

I have met some incredible people. Many are at the top of their game if talent is the measure, yet no one seemed to see them. Others are some of the most famous people on earth and some left me simply disillusioned and disgusted. There is no measure of success beyond happiness and even though the world knows your name if you do not find that elusive bit of joy in life you are simply a well-known failure. I will not allow Twisted to fade into the sunset without reaching its goal of being a launching pad for talented people that do not fit the new, “game show winner,” mold. Twisted will still feature these deserving artists in various genres but it will not be distributed by people who take half my money out of the chute and do little to support my work other than to try and change it into everything I have fought for this magazine not to be.

With thousands of people to thank I am simply choosing a few since these people helped me from the get go and never made me regret having them in my life. Phoebe Lewis-Loftin my wife, my life, my passion and eternal supporter, Maureen “Mars” Blomgren, loyal friend/confidante/co-conspirator it has been a thrill to watch you bloom. Dave Abramowitz, Yoda of the publishing world and industry big-shot who saw the value in this small magazine, Michael “Buffalo” Smith who knew what it was like to start a small magazine and helped me in so many ways, Steve Eckert who always remained professional under fire and helped put a shine on our coal, Ruby James, Danny B. Harvey, Will Scott and Jan Bell, who always came when I called and though you are among the most talented of musicians, I never saw any of you get lost in your egos, Billy Bob Thornton for taking a chance on my first cover and Sandrine Lee who not only photographed Billy Bob and Jerry Lee Lewis for our covers but gave me the magic book that always leads to marriage and last but not least Margo Baker (a.k.a. Mrs. Unknown Hinson,) for late night pep talks and having a husband who displays everything Twisted about the South in the best of ways.

Regardless of what is said and done in the future the aforementioned along with the hundreds of people who shared their time and talent helped me put a tiny magazine literally born in a swamp onto the shelves of every major bookseller in America beside Rolling Stone overnight. Of what more could I dream other than to be happy? I wish all of you happiness as well. Readers who did not get all of their issues rest assured you will get either a refund or you may opt for back issues and/or T-Shirts since they are now, (Due to this very letter,) even more collectible. Issue 1 has sold as high as $99.00. Go figure.

Thank you one and all. It was one hell of a ride,

Zeke Loftin – Writer/Gardener/Husband
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby guilherme mello » Tue May 08, 2012 2:42 pm

What he means by "Now we are in a battle that will require me to focus not on my projects but on helping the woman I love find justice and retain the dignity she has more than earned."? This is clearly about the fight btw Phoebe and her dad... maybe JLL will take Phoebe out of his will or something! Things clearly went down the hill, and you can see this when he talks about having to fight with people that "by the very laws of nature" should be on their side! Sad indeed!
guilherme mello

Postby guilherme mello » Tue May 08, 2012 2:43 pm

What he means by "Now we are in a battle that will require me to focus not on my projects but on helping the woman I love find justice and retain the dignity she has more than earned."? This is clearly about the fight btw Phoebe and her dad... maybe JLL will take Phoebe out of his will or something! Things clearly went down the hill, and you can see this when he talks about having to fight with people that "by the very laws of nature" should be on their side! Sad indeed!
guilherme mello

Postby bailbath » Tue May 08, 2012 2:55 pm

guilherme mello wrote:What he means by "Now we are in a battle that will require me to focus not on my projects but on helping the woman I love find justice and retain the dignity she has more than earned."? This is clearly about the fight btw Phoebe and her dad... maybe JLL will take Phoebe out of his will or something! Things clearly went down the hill, and you can see this when he talks about having to fight with people that "by the very laws of nature" should be on their side! Sad indeed!

I think we should be careful not to read our own pre conceptions into something. We don't know for sure what he's talking about we would only be guessing.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby guilherme mello » Tue May 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Ok Ian, i agree i can be wrong. I´m just guessing here, but that line called my attention. I hope i´m wrong!
guilherme mello

Previous

Return to Manager, fan's and assorted topics