my remixed version of the song "the killer"

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:54 pm

jcharris1976 wrote:Here's my remix of breathless. I cleaned it up and cut and recut. I love my new ending on it. It will catch you off guard.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ao8z47zc7bhcifu

OK, I've now heard it - don't like it, don't see the point as I said. I couldn't hear any difference till that weird bit stuck on the end, which I didn't like at all.

As if we don't have enough alternative versions and re-recordings of songs without messing about with the original versions.

Sorry not for me.

But then I'm the odd one out it seems. I don't collect alternative versions, not really interested in them. But I love the recut of 'What Made Milwaukee Famous' because I think Rod Stewart really adds something to it.
Last edited by Tony Papard on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Tony Papard wrote:
jcharris1976 wrote:Here's my remix of breathless. I cleaned it up and cut and recut. I love my new ending on it. It will catch you off guard.

Is there any point to any of this? I'm lost. Can't play most of them anyway. I tried downloading 'Breathless' then it just disappeared.

What is the point of it all though? Is this what people do nowadays with recordings, mess about with them, changing them? I think I prefer them as recorded.

I'm not particularly interested in these either apart from 'The Killer' which I thought was an interesting experiment that worked well (the original sounded like two different songs stuck together!). But I don't see any harm in it either.

If ever you feel like doing some video editing / dubbing then please get in touch JC! :D
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:00 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:

Is there any point to any of this? I'm lost. Can't play most of them anyway. I tried downloading 'Breathless' then it just disappeared.

What is the point of it all though? Is this what people do nowadays with recordings, mess about with them, changing them? I think I prefer them as recorded.

I'm not particularly interested in these either apart from 'The Killer' which I thought was an interesting experiment that worked well (the original sounded like two different songs stuck together!). But I don't see any harm in it either.

If ever you feel like doing some video editing / dubbing then please get in touch JC! :D

Quote from Jerry Lee (from memory): I don't like overdubbing at all. Record it then and there, that's where it's at man. You can't get the feeling, even from the musicians. It's like making love to a woman - you can't go back and do it again you can't overdub it! (Laughs)

Of course everything is overdubbed nowadays, which is why we have to wait so long for albums, especially so-called duets which are overdubbed.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Jerry has overdubbed the vast majority of his recordings since 1970!!!

As for editing, 20 years ago the released version of 'It Was The Whisky Talkin' (Not Me)' was cut & pasted from several different takes, & no doubt many recordings by JLL have since.
peterchecksfield

Postby Andrew McRae » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:26 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Jerry has overdubbed the vast majority of his recordings since 1970!!!

As for editing, 20 years ago the released version of 'It Was The Whisky Talkin' (Not Me)' was cut & pasted from several different takes, & no doubt many recordings by JLL have since.

As for editing, 52 years ago the released version of "High School Confidential" was cut and pasted from...

As for editing, 49 years ago, the released version of "I've Been Twistin'" was...
:wink:
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:Jerry has overdubbed the vast majority of his recordings since 1970!!!

As for editing, 52 years ago the released version of "High School Confidential" was cut and pasted from...

As for editing, 49 years ago, the released version of "I've Been Twistin'" was...

Good point...& 53 years ago 'You Win Again' was overdubbed! 8)
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:03 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Andrew McRae wrote:

Good point...& 53 years ago 'You Win Again' was overdubbed! 8)

OK, so they've always overdubbed, even tho' Jerry said he didn't like it - oh the quote about making love to a woman ended - you can't overdub it, you can't phone it in...

But messing with original releases always reminds me of those dreadful Jive Bunny hits which were just a medley of various old rock'n'roll originals spliced together.

I suppose this could be done with Jerry Lee's early rock'n'roll numbers:

C'mon over baby, you shake my nerves and you rattle my brain, whole lotta boppin' at the high school hop -you leave me breathless. Gonna move on down the line, she'll be cool and twice as gone, I'm a wild one, you can't get your kicks from an old milkshake, lovin' up a storm, it's good for you baby, Jumpin' Jehosepha, help Mr Fireman please, I'm burning from my head to my - Great Balls of Fire - I'm on fire!

Of course it was done ages ago with Return of Jerry Lee.

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby bluesinc. » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:14 am

when i listen to this must be the place i always think that the beginnen did´nt fit the rest of the song.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

my remixed version of the song "the killer"

Postby Dave McKee » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:28 am

Listen again to 'This Must Be The Place' and in the middle Jeryy sings "Well I ....". That's where "Gotta git it, git it" comes from.
Dave McKee

Re: my remixed version of the song "the killer"

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:39 am

Dave McKee wrote:Listen again to 'This Must Be The Place' and in the middle Jeryy sings "Well I ....". That's where "Gotta git it, git it" comes from.

Yes, it's been (badly) edited. Wish we had the unedited version...
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:41 am

bluesinc. wrote:when i listen to this must be the place i always think that the beginnen did´nt fit the rest of the song.

No it doesn't. As I said elsewhere, at the time the fan club mags were complaining about this. They took the end (or middle) of the song, cut it out and stuck it on the beginning.

Some overdubbing works well. I know a lot of people don't like 'I-40 Country', but it's still one of my favorite Country albums and 'Bluer Words' just wouldn't work at all without the overdubbing of Jerry's vocals so he's almost duetting with himself.

As he seems to have taken an aversion to Kenny's great fiddle playing, I think it should be overdubbed on all Jerry's slower numbers, along with a steel guitar on the slow Country ones.

But let's not forget horrors like the 'Duets' album with Elvis/Orion, one track of which even made the Top Thirty Country Charts 17 and a half years after it was recorded at Sun because Elvis had died the year before and people actually thought it was him duetting on the record. Quite obvious it wasn't, as it was exactly the same track released in the early 1960s without the overdubbing.

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby jcharris1976 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:51 pm

I love recording but I do remember my first time in the studio in Dallas. The first day I sat down at the piano and they wanted me to run through on piano the two songs that I penned "doin' just fine" and "The wrong way was the right way to do wrong" - . I did it and was told to come back to the studio in two days. When I got there, they had let a slew of musicians listen to it - lay down the tracks off of what they heard me do on the solo piano and vocal and had complete all the musical tracks - drums,fiddle,guitar and bass and then had me put in the piano solos and vocals over what was already recorded. The vocal "punching/overdubbs took forever because I would lay down vocals and they would say "hey try it this way. The songs turned out great but it did open my eyes on how times have changed in the studio. I did go into the studio several times after that and did 3 albums called "the Basics vol. 1 2 3" which was just myself and the piano and 1 to 2 takes per song with me playing and singing at the same time. I enjoyed that because it made you try harder to get it right and push yourself instead of the mindframe "ahhh we can fix that mistake later". The studio was pretty shocked that I could "get it right vocally and piano wise in a couple of takes without going back in and "tweaking" the songs . I definitely have to thank listening to Jerry Lee's material and knowing that the real styling comes from spare of the moment calculation and spontaneous feelings of the song and how the personal direction you want the song to go.
jcharris1976

Postby jcharris1976 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:02 pm

If I had to make a list of what style of Jerry Lee's music inspired me and which songs are my favorite of his - this would be the list.

Pledging My Love
Life's Little ups and downs
No traffic out of abilene
It's a Hang Up
She was my baby (He was my Friend)
Come on in
As long as we live - Mercury
I Don't want to be lonely tonight
Crawdad song - Mercury
You'd think by now (I'd be over you)
What's so good about goodbye
The goodbye of the year
Love game
Middle aged crazy
That Lucky Ol Sun 1988

That's a small list of my favorites that really stick out of my mind when it comes to Jerry Lee- Of course they are more - I'm a fan of his latter smash/Mercury and Elektra.
jcharris1976

Previous

Return to Manager, fan's and assorted topics