Postby bailbath » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:21 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... eed_Story/

missed this but iplayer got it.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Re: Alan Freed

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:50 pm

bailbath wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pqb52/The_Inventor_of_Rock_and_Roll_The_Alan_Freed_Story/

Ian

Is it worth listening to, though? I got as far in as 3mins 30secs and then wondered why on earth they were playing "That's Life" by Frank Sinatra to categorise the 'sedate' "pre- Rock n Roll" music that American radio audiences were 'having to listen to' before Alan Freed came along. Very odd considering that this recording wasn't even released (in 1966) until after Freed's death and, in truth, it's a pretty spirited, post Rock n Roll, R&B type song that was even covered by the likes of James Brown and Aretha Franklin! I'd have thought that the track was just the sort of thing that Freed himself would have heartily approved of! If the rest of the programme is as sloppy I don't think I want to waste an hour on it!

Andrew

PS Is the subject in the wrong section of the Forum?
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
bailbath wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pqb52/The_Inventor_of_Rock_and_Roll_The_Alan_Freed_Story/

Ian

Is it worth listening to, though? I got as far in as 3mins 30secs and then wondered why on earth they were playing "That's Life" by Frank Sinatra to categorise the 'sedate' "pre- Rock n Roll" music that American radio audiences were 'having to listen to' before Alan Freed came along. Very odd considering that this recording wasn't even released (in 1966) until after Freed's death and, in truth, it's a pretty spirited, post Rock n Roll, R&B type song that was even covered by the likes of James Brown and Aretha Franklin! I'd have thought that the track was just the sort of thing that Freed himself would have heartily approved of! If the rest of the programme is as sloppy I don't think I want to waste an hour on it!

Andrew

PS Is the subject in the wrong section of the Forum?

I think I'll stick to 'American Hot Wax' instead! :oops:

Actually does anyone have a good DVD of that?
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:27 am

out of respect for Alan Freed musical taste i putit here shame the pruducers had the least respect for Alan an rock n roll[/list]
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Dirk B. » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:54 am

I also wonder why they used Chuck Berry's Mercury Re-Recording of "ROB" in this radio special instead of the Chess original.
Dirk B.

Postby Andrew McRae » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Dirk B. wrote:I also wonder why they used Chuck Berry's Mercury Re-Recording of "ROB" in this radio special instead of the Chess original.

Why? Because some ignorant production assistant and/or the editor doesn't know his stuff.

I thought I'd give this another go after all, but hit the pause button again at the 16min mark, where Lance Freed, Alan's son, is describing the riots at the show at "Moondog Coronation Ball" in Cleveland in March 1953 (maybe should be 1952?) - the accompanying music? ....JLL singing "Great Balls of Fire"!

..oh, and what's this.. at 45mins we are told, in the context of a 'conspiracy' to 'erase' Rock n Roll, that it was 'no accident' that Chuck Berry was arrested for transporting a minor across State lines, 'no accident' that Elvis was drafted into the army, and 'no accident' that Jerry Lee Lewis went to jail... er, pardon?

Perhaps the Killer was sentenced for having, at the age of 16, incited riots in Cleveland by performing "Great Balls of Fire" five years before he'd even recorded it...this is the impression that a novice would have gained from this programme...a product of the BBC myth-making department at its worst!

Andrew :lol:
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:53 pm

I watched 'American Hot Wax' a couple of days ago for the first time in about 25 years, & it's actually pretty good! Far better than I remembered it. 8)
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:22 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I watched 'American Hot Wax' a couple of days ago for the first time in about 25 years, & it's actually pretty good! Far better than I remembered it. 8)

I love that film really cool ending with guy outside keeping the music going.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby mildred » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:

Ian

Andrew

Oh dear, that's pretty bad ......

Maybe the sports writer put that program together.
mildred

Postby jonny williams » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:07 pm

wondered if anybody had seen this movie ?? im guessing along the lines of American Hot wax "Mr Rock N Roll: The Alan Freed Story"
wondered if its any good
oh and Peter.....eBay item:AMERICAN HOT WAX DVD FILM ROCK N ROLL DOO WOP TEDDY BOY (#150493718392) it is however a copy....lol
jonny williams

Return to Manager, fan's and assorted topics