17.11.18 Cerritos

17.11.18 Cerritos

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:20 pm

JERRY LEE LEWIS, JACOB TOLLIVER
17.11.18 - Cerritos, CA - Cerritos Center
Last edited by wolfgangguhl on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfgangguhl

Re: 17.11.18 Cerritos

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:34 pm

I will be at this show!
wolfgangguhl

Postby matt gilliam » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:09 pm

I hope it is a rockin' great show and one you'll never forget. Enjoy your trip!
matt gilliam

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks, Matt! I hope for the same.

Maybe there will be some surprises at this show...
wolfgangguhl

Postby RickyNC » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:15 pm

the show is sold out
RickyNC

Postby RickyNC » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:20 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:I will be at this show!

Are you going to record ? please give reports
RickyNC

Postby Rocky » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:50 pm

November 17, Cerritos song list; dozen songs. Down the Line/Sweet Little 16/Drinkin' Wine/No Headstone on my Grave/C. C. Rider/Mexicali Rose/Before the Night is Over/GBOF/WLSGO Rockin`My Life Away Blue Suede Shoes. Kenny Arnoff-drums, Ken Lovelace-guitar, Ray Gann-bass. Ken`s wife JoAnn in audience. Sellout audience.
Rocky

Postby thrund » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Rocky wrote:November 17, Cerritos song list; dozen songs. Down the Line/Sweet Little 16/Drinkin' Wine/No Headstone on my Grave/C. C. Rider/Mexicali Rose/Before the Night is Over/GBOF/WLSGO Rockin`My Life Away Blue Suede Shoes. Kenny Arnoff-drums, Ken Lovelace-guitar, Ray Gann-bass. Ken`s wife JoAnn in audience. Sellout audience.

Thanks for info Paul!

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby martin bates » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Yes thanks Paul -
Looking forward to Wolfgangs report !
Pictures on fb show Jerry looking great.
martin bates

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:12 pm

Set List posted on here is not correct. Extented review to follow tomorrow evening. I had a GREAT time!
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Jacob Tolliver (27 minutes)
Songs included "Don't The Girls All Get Prettier At Closing Time", "Jenny Jenny" and "Mean Woman Blues" among others

The Killer Band (12 minutes)
Columbus Stockade Blues (Kenneth Lovelace)
Swinging Doors (Ray Gann)
You Are My Sunshine (Kenneth Lovelace)
Blue Suede Shoes (Ray Gann)

JERRY LEE LEWIS (45 minutes)
Down The Line
Drinkin' Wine Spo Dee O Dee
Before The Night Is Over
No Headstone On My Grave
Rockin' My Life Away
Blue Suede Shoes
C.C. Rider
She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye
Sweet Little Sixteen
Mexicali Rose
Great Balls Of Fire
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:35 pm

California Dreamin‘

On November 15th 2018 it was time to overcome my fear of flying once again and this time it was a real long haul flight from Munich, Germany via Dublin, Ireland to Los Angeles, California. Jerry Lee Lewis was scheduled to play Cerritos Center close to LA. While the plane was descending I looked out of the window seeing a never ending sea of sparkling city lights. The Cerritos Center For The Performing Arts is an award-winning theatre-style seated concert venue, which is known for its excellent sound. Upon arrival at the venue I saw the concert crowd slowly shuffling in. And I mean literally shuffling in. I have seen Jerry Lee Lewis many times. Sometimes to audiences of an average age of maybe 30, sometimes to mixed-age audiences. But I have never seen an audience that old. Most people arriving were into their 70’s, 80’s if not 90’s. Now experience has told me that older audiences make up the energy the youngster might have with vast knowledge of the artist they are seeing. I spotted maybe 10 people below the age of 50 in the entire building.

One of them was opening act Jacob Tolliver, known to be a huge admirer of Jerry Lee Lewis and an artist in his own right. He kicked off the show with The Killer Band featuring Kenneth Lovelace, Ray Gann and Kenny Aronoff three minutes past eight. The energy level was high from the start. Jacob mentioned the sound was perfect on stage and so it was in the audience. Jacob had injured two fingers on his right hand that were bandaged, but that sure did not stop him banging those keys. He performed a selection of classic songs, among them "Don't The Girls All Get Prettier At Closing Time", "Jenny Jenny" and "Mean Woman Blues". At one point he mentioned how unbelievable we would get to see a living legend, one of the architects of Rock’n’Roll that night. Jacob has good way of reminding us that we should never take such things for granted. And excited we were.

After a 20-minute break the band stepped out on stage again with Kenny – the guitarist that is – opening up the show with “Columbus Stockade Blues”. “Swinging Doors” (Ray Gann), “You Are My Sunshine” (Kenneth Lovelace) and “Blue Suede Shoes” (Ray Gann) followed. “You Are My Sunshine” also featured a drum solo by Kenny Aronoff which went down a storm.

Then all of a sudden the Master himself entered the stage taking fast steps towards the piano, walking unaided (without walking stick). In no time he was seated looking into the audience with his trademark Killer gaze, looking youthful and younger than his years. He wore a black sparkling jacket by Versace, picked by Judith and approved by the Killer. It sure was sparkling, like the city lights of Los Angeles, what a fitting outfit. He kicked off the show with “Down The Line”, his left hand rolling like a thunder storm. Looking at him at this moment I realized why I travelled all the way to Los Angeles. Why travelled on this long and tiresome journey, why I spent all the money. He plays in another league compared to today’s artists. He is pure talent like this world has never seen before and will never see again. Put on top of that his charisma. A dear friend and fellow fan of Jerry Lee Lewis once told me he can feel the electricity in the air once Jerry walks into a room. And the electricity was there tonight for sure. He played the piano effortlessly, his voice was in fine shape. Now the new drummer certainly brings a change to the sound. Kenny Aronoff has been ranked as one of the Top 100 Drummers Of All Time by Rolling Stone magazine and he surely is one of the best drummers I have ever seen. To see him live in action is a joy to see and he sure enjoys playing with Jerry Lee. But he has only been with Jerry for a short time and is obviously lacking the 20 years of experience that Robert Hall had playing with Jerry Lee. Sometimes it shows when he sounds a little off here and there and appears to play at a different speed than Jerry. Jerry made a short critical remark regarding his playing after the first song. Jerry sometimes comes across a little rough when he talks like that as some of you may have witnessed over the years. However he usually adds a little humour to whatever he says and those who know Jerry well all told me that the so-called Killer is in reality one of the kindest soul to ever walk on this planet and could not kill a fly. But he wants things right! On with the show, “Drinkin’ Wine Spo Dee O Dee”, few songs get played that often, but I never grow tired of hearing it. I have seen a couple of shows where JLL opened with that song and it sure is a great opener as well. “Before The Night Is Over” started with Jerry messing around with the piano a little bit, then taking up speed. Actually it became a real fast unusual version of the song, but nevertheless I thought it sounded great. However after the song, Jerry apologized for the opening, as he remarked he “must have been in another world”. Yes, I often think he must be from another world when I hear him play, but I mean that in a positive way. He was back on track with “No Headstone On My Grave”, a great song loved by some, hated by others. I love it, it keeps the audience on their feet with its slow and fast passages. “Rockin’ My Life Away” followed, usually one of the strongest numbers in the set. This time Jerry decided to cut it short and added “Blue Suede Shoes” to what was in fact a medley. When I went to New York last year to see Jerry the man at border security asked me what style Jerry Lee Lewis was playing in when I mentioned I went to the US to see him in concert. That sure was a tricky question to reply to as Jerry Lee Lewis actually is able to play in all styles, as he proved that night in Cerritos when he went into a bluesy “C.C. Rider”, only to follow it with the Country hit “She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye”. The latter one was probably the weakest song of the night, as Jerry struggled a bit with his cracking vocals. However the audience seemed to appreciate Jerry to play one of his biggest Country numbers and so did I of course. Next was “Sweet Little Sixteen” by the Hank Williams of Rock’n’Roll, the legendary Chuck Berry. It went down a storm. So close to Mexico it was of course appropriate to do “Mexicali Rose” before launching into and extended version of “Great Balls Of Fire” which featured some very strong and inventive piano playing. To a standing ovation he closed the show with “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Going On”, kicking back the piano and once again walking unaided and swift to the side of the stage where his wife Judith was waiting.

They both stopped and waved to a cheering crowd that was waving back. Many of the elderly people, who looked so tired as they walked into the building, now had become very alive. Jerry had touched their hearts and souls and reminded them who they once were, “Yesterday When They All Were Young”. But he also touched the heart and soul of a young man, who had travelled all the way from Germany just to see him for the 51st time (how appropriate as Kenneth Lovelace is celebrating his 51st year with the Killer). As I looked at him and Judith smiling and waving I knew it was worth it all. The feeling of love overwhelmed me as I felt a tear slowly running down my cheek. After all he has been through in his life and career, here he was, the Last Man Standing, the greatest musician of all time: JERRY LEE LEWIS!
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:13 am

wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:09 am

Great review! Good to know you had such a special experience Wolfie. :D
PeterC

Postby Ulli » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Thank you so much, Wolfgang, great review. I hope you're having a good time.
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Next

Return to @Live