16.02.19. - Greenville SC. The Peace Centre

Re: 16.02.19. - Greenville SC. The Peace Centre

Postby Logan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:38 pm

Here's my review of the show, I copied and pasted it from Scott's group. It was a great show !

Last night was absolutely surreal. I started off going in directly to the merch table and Lee (Jerry’s son) was running it. He couldn’t have been nicer, we chat for a minutes and I got a brand new Killer shirt (not pictured) and a 8 by 10 photo signed by The Killer himself! With that we waited for seating to open up. After an anxious hour, it was time get to our seats. Jacob Tolliver opened up the show right bat 8PM. His set was a blur to me because I was on pens and needles with excitement waiting for The Killer. A few things stuck out to me, number 1, he did a great bluesy version of Mean Woman Blues. Secondly, he has wonderful showmanship. After Jacob was through there was a brief intermission. The Memphis Beats did a set where the highlight was an incredible dream solo by Kenny Arnoff. Finally, it was show time! Jerry Lee was in top form. He was in a great mood joking with audience and laughing. He opened with a storming version of Down The Line, extended solos and with that we were off. He got a kick out of the lyrics especially “when she starts to strutting you know we got go” he said the lyric with a chuckle that had that classic Killer vibe after he was done. Next was Drinking Wine, a real boogie woogie version, with Jerry clearly showing he can still hang it in. Next was a great version of You Win Again. He moved quickly into Before The Night Is Over. You can tell Jerry really enjoys this number. Next was a personal favorite of mine, CC Rider. This was an extended version with Jerry doing several solos and repeating verses. After the Chuck Berry classic Sweet Little Sixteen, he did a fantastic version of She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye, Jerry was in great shape vocally and sang it with ease. Next was the highlight for me, he launched into Lewis Boogie! I said here in the group that I hoped he’d do it, while I probably had nothing to do with it I will always feel like he did it for me! You’ll never know the feeling that came over me as he sang “My name is Jerry Lee Lewis and I’m from Louisiana”

Next were the two big ones the extended version of Great Balls Of Fire with extended unique solos and finally Whole Lotta Shakin, a very unique version he did the “easy now” part 3 different times. He played powerful, spine tingling solos and rocked like only he can. He stood up and tried to kick the stool over but on the first attempt the stool only slid. He decided that wasn’t good enough and tried to kick it over again this time successfully! With that Jerry said thank you and God bless and drank in the well deserved adoration from the crowd. Even taking a bow !

Jerry Lee puts on a show like nobody else, there truly is nothing like it. Last night was truly one of the greatest experiences of my life and I feel privileged to have seen it. There are moments where you wish time could stand still and live it forever. Jerry Lee provides those moments.
Logan

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:00 am

Thanks for this great review, Logan!

One thing I noticed in the US that is different to Europe is that people are let into the lobby of the venue and then have to wait until the doors of the actual theater open and they can finally take their seat. Very strange and in Sarasota the lobby was crowded as hell, you could hardly move. What's the point? In Europe you can go straight to your seat.
wolfgangguhl

Postby tchr » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 am

Great review Logan, thanks for this :)
tchr

Postby Piet » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:43 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:Thanks for this great review, Logan!

One thing I noticed in the US that is different to Europe is that people are let into the lobby of the venue and then have to wait until the doors of the actual theater open and they can finally take their seat. Very strange and in Sarasota the lobby was crowded as hell, you could hardly move. What's the point? In Europe you can go straight to your seat.

Because they are Americans :?: :lol:
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby martin bates » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:18 pm

Piet wrote:

Brilliant show review - thanks ! Jerry continues to please his fans. Reference the lobby etc , really? Bit of an irrelevance I would say & not unusual especially where merchandise is on sale .
Martin.
martin bates

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:49 pm

Piet wrote:

That's probably the reason! :lol:

I have never seen this in Europe. In Cerritos it did not really matter since the lobby was huge, but in Sarasota it was just a small room crowded with people. Very strange!
wolfgangguhl

Postby scottdoran1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:47 pm

Are you sure you was at the same place as me in Sarasota?

The lobby was huge, the lobby was the hub connecting the massive restaurant, outdoor area, various theater doors (i counted at least 24 entrance doors to the theater) people mingled in all areas the restaurant was very busy
scottdoran1

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 pm

Hmm, there might have been two lobbies then. :lol:
wolfgangguhl

Postby martin bates » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:21 am

Logan wrote:Here's my review of the show, I copied and pasted it from Scott's group. It was a great show !

Last night was absolutely surreal. I started off going in directly to the merch table and Lee (Jerry’s son) was running it. He couldn’t have been nicer, we chat for a minutes and I got a brand new Killer shirt (not pictured) and a 8 by 10 photo signed by The Killer himself! With that we waited for seating to open up. After an anxious hour, it was time get to our seats. Jacob Tolliver opened up the show right bat 8PM. His set was a blur to me because I was on pens and needles with excitement waiting for The Killer. A few things stuck out to me, number 1, he did a great bluesy version of Mean Woman Blues. Secondly, he has wonderful showmanship. After Jacob was through there was a brief intermission. The Memphis Beats did a set where the highlight was an incredible dream solo by Kenny Arnoff. Finally, it was show time! Jerry Lee was in top form. He was in a great mood joking with audience and laughing. He opened with a storming version of Down The Line, extended solos and with that we were off. He got a kick out of the lyrics especially “when she starts to strutting you know we got go” he said the lyric with a chuckle that had that classic Killer vibe after he was done. Next was Drinking Wine, a real boogie woogie version, with Jerry clearly showing he can still hang it in. Next was a great version of You Win Again. He moved quickly into Before The Night Is Over. You can tell Jerry really enjoys this number. Next was a personal favorite of mine, CC Rider. This was an extended version with Jerry doing several solos and repeating verses. After the Chuck Berry classic Sweet Little Sixteen, he did a fantastic version of She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye, Jerry was in great shape vocally and sang it with ease. Next was the highlight for me, he launched into Lewis Boogie! I said here in the group that I hoped he’d do it, while I probably had nothing to do with it I will always feel like he did it for me! You’ll never know the feeling that came over me as he sang “My name is Jerry Lee Lewis and I’m from Louisiana”

Next were the two big ones the extended version of Great Balls Of Fire with extended unique solos and finally Whole Lotta Shakin, a very unique version he did the “easy now” part 3 different times. He played powerful, spine tingling solos and rocked like only he can. He stood up and tried to kick the stool over but on the first attempt the stool only slid. He decided that wasn’t good enough and tried to kick it over again this time successfully! With that Jerry said thank you and God bless and drank in the well deserved adoration from the crowd. Even taking a bow !

Jerry Lee puts on a show like nobody else, there truly is nothing like it. Last night was truly one of the greatest experiences of my life and I feel privileged to have seen it. There are moments where you wish time could stand still and live it forever. Jerry Lee provides those moments.

Wonderful review and what a performance !
martin bates

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:14 pm

Martin, you had already commented on the review before...
wolfgangguhl

Postby Logan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:05 pm

Wolfgang, it was the first time I've experienced a venue do this, it made zero sense to me. I've seen Jerry Lee 3 times now, as well as at least a dozen other concerts and usually when doors open you can go to your seats. Under different circumstances I would have probably been upset, but I was too excited to really care.
Logan

Postby martin bates » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:05 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Martin, you had already commented on the review before...

Yes,thank you- glad you were paying attention I had looked forward to Logans' review since he announced with some enthusiasm that he and his partner would attend the show.
(at the time the ever cheerful Rocky speculated if Jerry would still be alive by Showtime- if you say it often enough one day you will be right ......).
Unfortunately since his well written and detailed review was posted, most of the discussion has been about the lobby size of various American theatres, and the activities therein, compared to those of other countries. In the light of Jerry's recent illness and comments suggesting he should retire - I thought it worth boosting the original post again from this splendid performance just a few weeks ago.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby scottdoran1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:54 pm

Excellent post, Martin stand up to "blue rinse brigade"
scottdoran1

Postby PeterC » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:38 pm

scottdoran1 wrote:Excellent post, Martin stand up to "blue rinse brigade"

Do you still have your blue hair Scott? :oops:
PeterC

Postby scottdoran1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Never had blue hair before,
i've had red well actually it went bubblegum pink but that's another story!! , I've had highlights, i've had many different hairstyles over the years but now back to my natural way the way God intended. Raising my kids are making it fall out, but i would not have it any other way.
How about you is it permanently blue or just a period in your life that's lasted 15 years so far and counting :)
scottdoran1

Previous

Return to @Live