Sweet Little Sixteen
No Headstone On My Grave
Rockin' My Life Away
Lewis Boogie
Great Balls Of Fire
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On
What’d I Say

52 minutes

Impressive! Was 'What'd I Say' part of a medley with WLSGO or a completely separate song?
PeterC

Re: 06. February 2016 - Tunica, MS - Sam's Town

Postby chris morris » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 am

Great to see Lewis Boogie on the setlist. I can't remember without checking how long it is since I saw jerry do that one at a concert I went to but it's a long time ago. Interesting that the set list (if accurate) is quite different from the set list "prompt" visible on the YouTube video. Jerry looks good and focussed.

Chris
chris morris

Postby PeterC » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:23 am

Peter Hayman told me that WLSGO-What'd I Say was a medley, but longer and faster than in Glasgow.
PeterC

Postby Richard Harvey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks for the updates everyone. Amazing he's putting in such spirited shows this far down the pike. I still wonder what extra song he'd have played in London if they hadn't bought that bloody cake on!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby PeterC » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:50 am

Richard Harvey wrote:I still wonder what extra song he'd have played in London if they hadn't bought that bloody cake on!

What'd I Say is my guess, as he's finished 2 out of 3 shows with it since.
PeterC

Postby Piet » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:19 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dm4RkFfgvd0

How can it be that the whole show is here in 40 minutes :roll:
52 minutes including the Memphis Beats"
Wolfgang, you should put the song "What I say" on here and not when he's leaving the stage after that song.
Just a friendly advise in case you get mad (again) :oops:
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Jos » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Piet wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dm4RkFfgvd0

Wolfgang, you should put the song "What I say" on here and not when he's leaving the stage after that song.

The recording is incomplete Piet, Before the night is over and Lewis Boogie are missing!
Jos

Postby Piet » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Jos wrote:

The recording is incomplete Piet, Before the night is over and Lewis Boogie are missing!

:evil:
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby PeterC » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:06 pm

Wolfie's never wrong! :twisted:
PeterC

Postby Logan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:13 pm

I could be wrong but to me it sounds to me like his timing and tempo is more off than ever. But as usual great to hear him so lively these days. I laughed out loud when he was clearly liking a woman in the audience. Meat Man! 8)
Logan

Postby PeterC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:31 am

I haven't listened to all of it, but I noticed he's trying a new arrangement for 'Down The Line' with a couple of extra bars during the solos, which is confusing the band. Also the usual complaints about not hearing himself properly. He really needs to get someone younger to sort things out properly at soundchecks. Kenny's hearing is probably as bad as Jerry's!
PeterC

Postby Chris Davies » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:45 am

I've only listened to Over The Rainbow and that is superb with some smooth and classy piano. I remember Gary Skala said to me and Peter Hayman back in 1994 that JLL was completely deaf in one ear and the the other one wasn't doing too good either. I know myself that if you can't hear your own instrument clearly or hear the band clearly how easy it is to play out of time. Thank goodness my piano playing isn't analysed over and over!

I think about my Nan when she was 80, slowly climbing her stairs, smoking, watching TV - the thought of someone that age still being able to play a rock'n'roll piano show is kind of mind boggling.
Chris Davies

Postby PeterC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:22 pm

Chris Davies wrote:I think about my Nan when she was 80, slowly climbing her stairs, smoking, watching TV - the thought of someone that age still being able to play a rock'n'roll piano show is kind of mind boggling.

To be fair I doubt if Jerry moves up stairs quickly these days and he watches lots of TV (don't know about the smoking!) :wink:

I know what you mean though. So many times when I saw him in his 40s and 50s I expected it to be the last time, yet here he is, playing with surprising energy.

Part of they way we turn out is down to life style of course, but much of it is down to genetics or pure luck. There was a review of a Marianne Faithfull concert in The Daily Mail a week or two back, and it pointed out that this 69 year old needs a cane to lean on when standing up, quickly gets breathless, and barely has the energy to get through a short & sedate show... yet meanwhile, her ex boyfriend Mick Jagger is still running around stadiums doing 2-hour concerts at 72!

Myself, I'm 53 years old now, and while in VG shape I'm certainly not quite the same as when I was younger. For example, I live on the 3rd floor (in an attic flat), and when I moved here 17 years ago I usually sprinted up the stairs! Now I still run up them, but it's no more than a light jog. I do belong to a couple of walking groups though, and some members are well in their 80s yet have no trouble doing brisk hilly 10-mile+ walks. That's how I hope to be at their age! :D
PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:37 pm

To be fair I think the band's is off-time quite often and not improvising too well. I think the band nowadays consists of musicians that play worse than Jerry, either because of their old age (Kenny) or because they have never been great musicians themselves (Robert).

Jerry's only playing few shows these days, so he might be a bit out of practice. But the drive is still there and he seems to enjoy himself. Certainly he is not making an embarrassment of himself yet as did Little Richard and Chuck Berry playing what were probably their final shows.
wolfgangguhl

PreviousNext

Return to @Live