10. September 2015 - Glasgow Clyde Auditorium

Re: 10. September 2015 - Glasgow Clyde Auditorium

Postby PeterC » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:55 am

guilherme mello wrote:What a great version of she even woke me up!! For me its clear that Jerry stops playing to focus on the singing at some points. It´s not that he is unable to play and sing at the same time (he is clearly capable of doing so with his eyes closed), it´s just that playing require a physical effort (even if it´s just raising your arms and move your hands) that, nowdays, hurts his capacity of reach the higher notes. You can see also thay he dont attemp to sustain the notes to long, because when he does it, sometimes he loses the pitch and go out of tune. So he is adapting his phrasing to this new moment of his carrer (and of his body), singing in a lower key, playing less during the song and just making shorter phrases. It´s just spetacular to see how well he can do it, how easy he can adapt without loosing any of his trademarks and still delivering a great version like this. His piano playing is still great and he is capable of singing beautfully, if he just make this little changes in the show. I´m pretty sure that he can still deliver great shows (and great albums) like the last two for some years, if it is that what he wants!

He's been performing the song in this lower key ("C") since at least 1977, though the studio version and earlier live versions are in "D" (Jerry lowered the keys of several songs during the mid 70s, and they've stayed there ever since - No Headstone On My Grave is another one).

I agree it's a superb version though, good enough to listen to on a live album.
Last edited by PeterC on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

Postby Ulli » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:56 am

Apart from the music... he kicked the piano stool back!
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby PeterC » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:01 am

niek81 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VYdtINmY44

Medley!
Friend of mine said it was even a bit better than London, better vocals though less piano playing.

Brilliant! I don't mind less piano playing when the vocals are this good, and surprisingly he remembers the verses to both Mean Woman Blues and What'd I Say (and kicks the stool back!!). :shock: :D 8)
PeterC

Postby fede4avar » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:10 am

it's a shame That I did not go to Glasgow too much money.
fede4avar

Postby niek81 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSjQtJd30U8

You Win Again.

I haven't been listen to the London version but I assume this one sounds better. Jerry doesn't smile as much as during the London show. Maybe he was more focused here. From the clips I've seen so far the piano playing was better in London though. During You Win Again he makes some angry faces against Robert, I guess for the tempo. As much as I love Robert as a person, I can imagine his drumming on for example this one doesn't really push or inspires Jerry.
niek81

Postby MarkusR » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:04 pm

This version of you win again was one of the better versions I have heard in the last years! Much much better than london, which was mighty forgetable.
It shows, Jerry still could be right on key if all the circumstances were right.
On the other hand, Whole lotta shakin-Medley seems to me almost out of key...
For shure, he should use some in-ear-monitors for better hearing himself.

Wish, somebody would have done a watchable video - all I saw was crap - and this in the computerized age of smarty-smartphones...

To say something of the drumming from R.Hall is nearly is useless.
He is the most boring, lame, uninspired side men Jerry has ever used! Listen to the recording of "Sentrum Scene Cafe Oslo" 1993 and you will understand what Iam talking about. Jerry himslef praised the drummer a dozen times during the show. Ron Norwood was to me the greatest of them all! Buddy Harman was brilliant; Jimmy Isbell was great and of course, Morris Tarrant was even bigger!!

This is not against the human R.Hall, I am only critisizing the professional work he is doing on stage.
MarkusR

Postby bailbath » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:40 pm

Actually Marcus Robert did pretty well responding to Jerry's request to pick up change the beat. How are you on drums? Every post you seem to put on is negative. Robert Hall is a great drummer for Jerry.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby PeterC » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:52 pm

bailbath wrote:Robert Hall is a great drummer for Jerry.

He's probably ideal these days, as all Jerry wants is someone to keep in time (and quickly pick up on things when he makes mistakes), but I agree totally that all these drummers that Marcus has mentioned were a thousand times better than him. Let's not forget Jerry's original drummer Russell Smith too, who returned to the band in the late 60s (he's fabulous on Toronto '69, Many Sounds of Jerry Lee, etc), and even Pete Fletcher (1990-1991) was a great rock & roll drummer.

Judging by the clips I've seen I think I prefer Glasgow to London (I don't care if he's playing less piano or smiling less when his singing is much better). I didn't think the closing medley was that out of tune, and anyway it was still inspired with Jerry remembering verses he hasn't sung in years.

I'm curious to hear Memphis Tennessee, as that was very rough when he attempted it a few months back. Perhaps Little Queenie would be a better Chuck Berry number for him to do, and of course this was actually on the last album (totally ignored for this mini tour).
Last edited by PeterC on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

Postby MarkusR » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:45 pm

MarkusR wrote:This version of you win again was one of the better versions I have heard in the last years! Much much better than london, which was mighty forgetable.
It shows, Jerry still could be right on key if all the circumstances were right.

Ian, I am not too sure, if you really read what I wrote.

Your Question, if I AM A DRUMMER is rather absurd, because it has nothing to do with my opinion about Hall's drumming.

Maybe Peter Checksfield is the only person to be allowed to criticize, or this here is a platform only to praise Jerry Lee Lewis as a holy person?

Then I will be glad to quit my membership and better leave you alone.
MarkusR

Postby MarkusR » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:49 pm

PeterC wrote:
and even Pete Fletcher (1990-1991) was a great rock & roll drummer.

Yeah, Pete's got a heavy fast beat on the drums.
Absolutely right, Peter.
MarkusR

Postby bailbath » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:07 am

MarkusR wrote:
MarkusR wrote:This version of you win again was one of the better versions I have heard in the last years! Much much better than london, which was mighty forgetable.

Ian, I am not too sure, if you really read what I wrote.

Your Question, if I AM A DRUMMER is rather absurd, because it has nothing to do with my opinion about Hall's drumming.

Maybe Peter Checksfield is the only person to be allowed to criticize, or this here is a platform only to praise Jerry Lee Lewis as a holy person?

Then I will be glad to quit my membership and better leave you alone.

Anyone can say pretty much anything on here thats one of the features of this site. I just got tired of your negative posts. I have never said Jerry is a saint in fact i know he is'nt. I can idetify with him because i'm not a saint also. In fact I was defending Robert. If you say something that could be a liitle contentious expect someone to say something back. If you can't stand the heat get out of the fire as you say but if you believe what you say and someone else disagrees dont spit your dummy agree to differ or try to find a middle ground.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Jeroen » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:03 am

What happened to the guest stars? Did James Burton actually share the stage with Jerry?
Jeroen

Postby martin bates » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:38 am

Jeroen wrote:What happened to the guest stars? Did James Burton actually share the stage with Jerry?

nobody played with Jerry. Each of the named guests did their own set. They were support acts rather than guests.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:51 am

martin bates wrote:
Jeroen wrote:What happened to the guest stars? Did James Burton actually share the stage with Jerry?

nobody played with Jerry. Each of the named guests did their own set. They were support acts rather than guests.
Martin.

That's a little surprising with James Burton and Albert Lee. Maybe this is why Steve Cropper suddenly found other things to do in his diary?
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:11 am

PeterC wrote:
martin bates wrote:

Martin.

That's a little surprising with James Burton and Albert Lee. Maybe this is why Steve Cropper suddenly found other things to do in his diary?

It was unexpected wasn't it ? We were all speculating how all the guitars would work etc. The word guest was misleading I auppose, it appears to have been meant as a 'guest' for the birthday party theme, rather than ,as I said, a support act. From what I gather, the plan all along was for James and Albert to perform together. Quite late in the day it was decided a rhythm section was needed and Elio Pace and his group were added. I'm not sure if that was instead of Steve Cropper or if he would have played in addition. It was Steve Cropper who decided not to come for whatever reason.

Martin
martin bates

PreviousNext

Return to @Live