01.08.15 Shawnee

Re: 01.08.15 Shawnee

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:That photo is Jerry with the staff working at the venue (it's re-appeared on FB). So he's not doing the celeb 'meet & greet' thing. I'm a little glad. People who've waited at stage doors over the years are the ones that earn the right for a quick 'howdy' with the Killer, not people with the fattest wallet.
I don't much care for the way live pop music's going, with these high ticket prices and 'meet & greet' packages. It's all very corporate and very un-rock & roll.

They need to make money somehow since not much money is coming in from record sales anymore.
wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:12 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:They need to make money somehow since not much money is coming in from record sales anymore.

They must be earning more than enough via concert fees judging by the huge price increases in recent years, but if they want to make more I suggest they include a decent merchandise stand with CDs, DVDs, posters, books, etc. If the artistes offer to sign these (for free!) they'll sell lots. No need to charge for meet & greets.
PeterC

Postby Richard Harvey » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:59 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:They need to make money somehow since not much money is coming in from record sales anymore.

I can understand the reason behind it Wolfie, but it's never right that working people have to shell out so much money to see millionaires put on a music show, (I'm taking about the McCartneys etc). I've gone against my principles with Jerry at the Palladium, because I'm sentimental about the KIller, but the ticket price is obscene for a theatre rock & roll show. I've just got back from Cambridge Folk Festival, and there were hundreds of acts over four stages over four days - all for less than it costs for a stalls seat to see Jerry Lee.
I actually admire free enterprise, but I don't like to see people unable to see their musical heroes because they simply can't afford it. Pop music should be just that - popular, for the masses. It's accessibility is an important part of it.

And let's be honest, pop stars have lived like Roman emperors for enough years.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby lucio » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:28 pm

PeterC wrote:

They must be earning more than enough via concert fees judging by the huge price increases in recent years, but if they want to make more I suggest they include a decent merchandise stand with CDs, DVDs, posters, books, etc. If the artistes offer to sign these (for free!) they'll sell lots. No need to charge for meet & greets.

Excellent idea Peter. It's a wonder that more artists don't sell merchandise. Peter Noone always has a table out with t-shirts/cds, etc and signs for free as does Chubby Checker. No way Jerry would meet all the fans to sign cds but autographing the cds/books in advance prior to the show would be a great way to guarantee sales and make more money per item than the using third parties like record stores.
lucio

Postby lucio » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:

I can understand the reason behind it Wolfie, but it's never right that working people have to shell out so much money to see millionaires put on a music show, (I'm taking about the McCartneys etc). I've gone against my principles with Jerry at the Palladium, because I'm sentimental about the KIller, but the ticket price is obscene for a theatre rock & roll show. I've just got back from Cambridge Folk Festival, and there were hundreds of acts over four stages over four days - all for less than it costs for a stalls seat to see Jerry Lee.
I actually admire free enterprise, but I don't like to see people unable to see their musical heroes because they simply can't afford it. Pop music should be just that - popular, for the masses. It's accessibility is an important part of it.

And let's be honest, pop stars have lived like Roman emperors for enough years.

Agree with you 100% Richard. Unknown artists play 3 hour shows for peanuts while the heroes charge huge fees for a 10-14 song set. Hate to say it but I'm one of the dummies that pays the money to see the legends because I never know when the next show will be the last one. My biggest pet peeve is the high Ticketmaster and venue handling fees on top of the cost of admission.
lucio

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:02 pm

lucio wrote:Agree with you 100% Richard. Unknown artists play 3 hour shows for peanuts while the heroes charge huge fees for a 10-14 song set. Hate to say it but I'm one of the dummies that pays the money to see the legends because I never know when the next show will be the last one. My biggest pet peeve is the high Ticketmaster and venue handling fees on top of the cost of admission.

I see live music every week, (I play in two bands myself), and I get a lot more satisfaction out of attending smaller shows than I do out of bigger 'celebrity' shows. I'd urge anyone passionate about music to support their local live music scene rather than give top dollar to the already-rich. Just because someone is 'unknown', doesn't mean their music is any less enjoyable. Even Jerry Lee was unknown and playing small clubs once.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby lucio » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:55 pm

Very true Richard but my taste runs the 50s-70s and as much as I've tried I just cannot appreciate today's music. The rare times we have 50s-60s tribute bands or a particular less famous artist that plays rock and roll sounding music, I'm there supporting them. In fact I do a lot of filming and creation of videos for some of these artists to help promote them for free.
What types of music do you hear locally? Are there a lot of rock and roll/rockabilly type bands in your area?
lucio

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:55 pm

lucio wrote:
What types of music do you hear locally? Are there a lot of rock and roll/rockabilly type bands in your area?

There are Rock & Roll clubs in every city in the UK, all feature live rock & roll bands, and there are many three-day r&r festivals too.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby PeterC » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:39 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:There are Rock & Roll clubs in every city in the UK.

Except Margate. In fact the whole of East Kent has a lousy, almost non-existent, rock & roll / 50s scene.
PeterC

Postby Henry » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:55 pm

PeterC wrote:
Richard Harvey wrote:There are Rock & Roll clubs in every city in the UK.

Except Margate. In fact the whole of East Kent has a lousy, almost non-existent, rock & roll / 50s scene.

What have the last 5-6 posts has to do with Shawnee,Please stay on the thopic.
Henry

Postby martin bates » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:00 pm

lucio wrote:
PeterC wrote:

Excellent idea Peter. It's a wonder that more artists don't sell merchandise. Peter Noone always has a table out with t-shirts/cds, etc and signs for free as does Chubby Checker. No way Jerry would meet all the fans to sign cds but autographing the cds/books in advance prior to the show would be a great way to guarantee sales and make more money per item than the using third parties like record stores.

Henry is right ,we are off topic - apologies. But to finish off, one artist who always meets the fans in such a way, selling CDs etc is Linda Gail Lewis. She'll stay behind meeting fans even when she has a gruelling schedule / planes to catch etc.
martin bates

Postby fede4avar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:51 am

fede4avar

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:54 pm

niek81 wrote:Tex shared some short clips on Facebook, so at least the following songs were played.

Down The Line
You Win Again
She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye
Sweet Little Sixteen
Memphis Tennessee (!!)
Mexicali Rose
Before The Night Is Over
Don't Put No Headstone On My Grave
Great Balls Of Fire
Whole Lotta Shakin Going On

He entered the stage without a walking cane and it seems he kicked back the piano stool.

This set list is incorrect. Here is the correct one (36 minutes):

Down The Line
You Win Again
Before The Night Is Over
No Headstone On My Grave
Memphis
Sweet Little Sixteen
Mexicali Rose
Great Balls Of Fire
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On
wolfgangguhl

Postby tchr » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:
niek81 wrote:Tex shared some short clips on Facebook, so at least the following songs were played.

Down The Line
You Win Again
Sweet Little Sixteen
Memphis Tennessee (!!)
Mexicali Rose
Before The Night Is Over
Don't Put No Headstone On My Grave
Great Balls Of Fire
Whole Lotta Shakin Going On

He entered the stage without a walking cane and it seems he kicked back the piano stool.

This set list is incorrect. Here is the correct one (36 minutes):

Down The Line
You Win Again
Before The Night Is Over
No Headstone On My Grave
Memphis
Sweet Little Sixteen
Mexicali Rose
Great Balls Of Fire
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On

Memphis?