Jerry in the recording studio/ New album 2010

Jerry in the recording studio/ New album 2010

Postby Dirk B. » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:03 pm

On Wolfgang's site (Tour section) I just read that Jerry's been in a recording studio in Hollywood during October 6,7&8. Perhaps he can tell us more: Wolfgang, is Jerry working on a new album?
Dirk B.

Re: Jerry in the recording studio

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:40 pm

Dirk B. wrote:On Wolfgang's site (Tour section) I just read that Jerry's been in a recording studio in Hollywood during October 6,7&8. Perhaps he can tell us more: Wolfgang, is Jerry working on a new album?

I was told this news about a week ago but told to keep it quite for now. Apparantly Jerry was doing vocal overdubs on tracks he'd recorded previously + possibly more new songs. The musicians are the same as on the last album except Jimmy Rip who isn't involved this time.
peterchecksfield

Postby jayhawks » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:47 pm

GREAT news!!! :lol:
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:51 pm

jayhawks wrote:GREAT news!!! :lol:

Maybe, maybe not.

Jerry's done lots of recording sessions over the past 25 years that have never been released. So unless he has (or gets) a recording contract......
peterchecksfield

Postby jonny williams » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:26 pm

I wonder why Jimmy Rip isnt involved this time ?
jonny williams

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:33 pm

jonny williams wrote:I wonder why Jimmy Rip isnt involved this time ?

Probably just busy with other projects. He is (or was) actually better known as a musician than a producer, being the guitarist in Mick Jagger's solo band for several years.
peterchecksfield

Postby jonny williams » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:43 pm

ahh right, didnt think of that, any idea's who the new producer may be ?
jonny williams

Postby Tommy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:45 pm

Rick Rubin :wink:
Tommy

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:50 pm

Tommy wrote:Rick Rubin :wink:

I hope not.
peterchecksfield

Postby jonny williams » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:16 pm

that would be great ! if he did for Jerry what he did for Cash....why do you hope not Peter ?
jonny williams

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:28 pm

jonny williams wrote:that would be great ! if he did for Jerry what he did for Cash....why do you hope not Peter ?

I don't think his style would be suitable for Jerry. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd hate a whole album of stripped down Jerry + piano, & I wasn't keen on the production of the full band recordings Rubin did of Cash either (vocals too "dry", drums way too loud).

Personally I'd be more than happy with the same sound as LMS but with far fewer guests.
peterchecksfield

Postby jonny williams » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:38 pm

minority or not mate...thats what forums are for ! i must admit i liked the dry vocals, certainly on the album were he did the man comes around, i prefer that to over done reverb, and a strip down jerry and piano, with maybe some acoustic guitar and bass would be different....and i think great....that said, whether (as you pointed out) this would work with Jerry or not would have to remain to be seen.
jonny williams

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:43 pm

My favourite (studio) sound for JLL are some of those 'The Return Of Rock' recordings ('Roll Over Beethoven', 'Sexy Ways', 'Herman The Hermit' etc). The vocals (only) are swamped in reverb, & the piano has a loud partly-distorted sound! They'd never record that way now (& probably couldn't if they tried with modern digital equipment) but this is what I like. "Dry" vocals at Jerry's ago just shows how old & frail he is, as they did with Cash.
peterchecksfield

Postby jonny williams » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:10 pm

i still love that sound on the cash album, and didnt think (in my opinion) he sounded frail or weak, but just aged, it kind of added to it that he was old and they didnt want to cover anything up, and it still sounded good to me.
jonny williams

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:15 pm

jonny williams wrote:i still love that sound on the cash album, and didnt think (in my opinion) he sounded frail or weak, but just aged, it kind of added to it that he was old and they didnt want to cover anything up, and it still sounded good to me.

It probably suited that kind of music better, but with rock & roll it needs a YOUNG voice (I don't want someone to SOUND as if they're in their 70s when singing about "Sweet Little 16 going back to school" or whatever!). But it needs to be done right: with the 'Youngblood' album they made a very modern & multi-layered digital recording, & then to try to make it sound "authentic" they simply mixed it in mono & swamped the who thing in digital reverb! That's why it sounds so bad.
peterchecksfield

Next

Return to Archive