Jerry Lee Bootlegs

Postby Amadeu » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:There´s one more song from Stuttgart "When The Saints Go Marching In" with Johnny & Carl. It exists but never been released. It´s been a Long time ago since i played it, but the quality isn´t as good as on the Surivors album, but it sure ain´t bad either.

Perk

Unfortunately it was a very messy (though fun!) performance, probably a bit too ragged to release officially.

You´re right about that! I just had to play it to hear how it sounded. It´s understandable why they didn´t include it, a bit messy as you say.

I always thought Jerry sounded very bad on that concert
Amadeu

Postby Perk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:20 pm

JerryLeeJnr wrote:
Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:There´s one more song from Stuttgart "When The Saints Go Marching In" with Johnny & Carl. It exists but never been released. It´s been a Long time ago since i played it, but the quality isn´t as good as on the Surivors album, but it sure ain´t bad either.

Perk

Unfortunately it was a very messy (though fun!) performance, probably a bit too ragged to release officially.

You´re right about that! I just had to play it to hear how it sounded. It´s understandable why they didn´t include it, a bit messy as you say.

I can´t say it´s one of my favourites either. But i do like the entire 1981 tour. One of my favouites, especially the incredible Paris 1981 show. But if you seen the video from Stuttgart, it looks and sounds more loose on there. The sound on the Survivors album was a bit stiff on some tracks.

Perk
Perk

Postby Bobby McGee » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Perk wrote:
JerryLeeJnr wrote:
Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Perk

I can´t say it´s one of my favourites either. But i do like the entire 1981 tour. One of my favouites, especially the incredible Paris 1981 show. But if you seen the video from Stuttgart, it looks and sounds more loose on there. The sound on the Survivors album was a bit stiff on some tracks.

Perk

I wonder why this (--> Stuttgart) was filmed and recorded?!?

Is it true that it was a Johnny Cash concert/ that it was planned as a Johnny Cash solo performance, but JLL and Carl Perkins decided spontaneously to join Cash as a surpise or something?

If so, why did they have cameras there?
And why did they have a record company there to record the show for an album release?
Bobby McGee

Postby Perk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Bobby McGee wrote:
Perk wrote:
JerryLeeJnr wrote:
Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Perk

Perk

Is it true that it was a Johnny Cash concert/ that it was planned as a Johnny Cash solo performance, but JLL and Carl Perkins decided spontaneously to join Cash as a surpise or something?

And why did they have a record company there to record the show for an album release?

I think that the surprise performance was previosuly when Jerry Lee & Carl Perkins joined Johnny Cash in Rotterdam. Then it was decided to do it again in Stuttgart and record it. I mean it´s kind of special to have these three together on stage. First time since the Million Dollar Quartet.

I think the video is just from a news crew. Not anything proffessional.

Perk
Perk

Postby jarireinikka » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:49 pm

I think the lp is one of worst sounding JLL live ever,dont like it at all...together with Italy live...
jarireinikka

Postby Perk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:06 pm

jarireinikka wrote:I think the lp is one of worst sounding JLL live ever,dont like it at all...together with Italy live...

Ha Ha! And remember that most young fans probably don´t even have heard the LP. Most have probably heard the cd (where everything below 20khz is cut out, then the rest is compressed down until only 25% is left of the sound). All to fit on a small sized cd.

Imagine the ones who listens to mp3´s made from this cd? With an even 65% more reducement in sound.

Perk : )
Perk

Postby thrund » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:19 pm

jarireinikka wrote:I think the lp is one of worst sounding JLL live ever,dont like it at all...together with Italy live...

Yes, that's right Jari.
Both was good shows but worst sound quality. Sad.
The sound quality on the 'The Real Thing....' bootleg is the same as on the Survival CD. It's ok for listen and collecting and .....for forget.
thrund

Postby jarireinikka » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:52 pm

Ha Ha! And remember that most young fans probably don´t even have heard the LP. Most have probably heard the cd (where everything below 20khz is cut out, then the rest is compressed down until only 25% is left of the sound). All to fit on a small sized cd.

Imagine the ones who listens to mp3´s made from this cd? With an even 65% more reducement in sound.

...what´s left there to listen after that...even the lp´s are very bad sounding,very "unlively"...don´t want those silvery cupholders...
jarireinikka

Postby Perk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:28 pm

jarireinikka wrote:

...what´s left there to listen after that...even the lp´s are very bad sounding,very "unlively"...don´t want those silvery cupholders...

Basically it´s just technical details from a Philips studio technician of how cd´s are made today. It´s probably worse.

Perk
Perk

Postby Bobby McGee » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Perk wrote:
Bobby McGee wrote:
Perk wrote:
JerryLeeJnr wrote:
Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Perk

Perk

I think that the surprise performance was previosuly when Jerry Lee & Carl Perkins joined Johnny Cash in Rotterdam. Then it was decided to do it again in Stuttgart and record it. I mean it´s kind of special to have these three together on stage. First time since the Million Dollar Quartet.

I think the video is just from a news crew. Not anything proffessional.

Perk

Oh, interesting. :o
I didn´t know that they joined Johnny Cash before in Rotterdam.
On which date was this?
I think JLL performed at the AHOY Rotterdam on April 19 oder 20, right?
I have this performance on cd.
So on which day was the Johnny Cash show they took part in?
Bobby McGee

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:45 pm

Jerry jammed with Johnny & Carl for about 10 minutes on the 19th (this was actually a rest day for Jerry as he didn't have his own show to play), & then he jammed with Carl Perkins at the end of his Rotterdam show on the 20th (also London on the 17th & Paris on the 21st).

Most of the shows on that tour were recorded for radio broadcast &/or filmed for TV, so it wasn't anything unusual for recording equipment & cameras to be in Stuttgart.
peterchecksfield

Postby Bobby McGee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:05 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Jerry jammed with Johnny & Carl for about 10 minutes on the 19th (this was actually a rest day for Jerry as he didn't have his own show to play), & then he jammed with Carl Perkins at the end of his Rotterdam show on the 20th (also London on the 17th & Paris on the 21st).

Most of the shows on that tour were recorded for radio broadcast &/or filmed for TV, so it wasn't anything unusual for recording equipment & cameras to be in Stuttgart.

Right, I knew that Carl Perkins joined Jerry Lee in London and Paris.
But I didn´t know about Rottedam.

I´m sorry for asking so many questions, but I have a few ... :roll:

1) This tour wasn´t a solo tour for Jerry, was it?
It was more something like a "legends in concert" tour, right?

2) Was Johnny Cash also a constant part of that tour or did he just happen to be in Europe for his own tour at the same time as Lewis and Perkins?

3) Jerry Lee also toured Europe in 1980, 1982, 1983, 198xxxxx
So what was the reason to record especially so many shows of the 1981 tour for broadcast/ film them for TV?

We have London, Rotterdam, Paris, Stuttgart, a little bit of Zürich, right?
Any more shows?

4) Is there an internet page where I can find the exact dates of that tour?
I´d like to find out which cities Jerry played in during that tour.
Bobby McGee

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:12 pm

The European Tours in 1981 & 1982 (also some shows in 1985 & 1987) was a Country Festivals tour. Cash usually played on different nights from Jerry.

Reason to record / film shows? No reason, just to make good radio & TV programmes (back in them days Jerry's management didn't demand big extra fees for all this!).

I think there's full tour dates on Wolfie's site: www.chuckberry.de
peterchecksfield

Postby Bobby McGee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:55 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:The European Tours in 1981 & 1982 (also some shows in 1985 & 1987) was a Country Festivals tour. Cash usually played on different nights from Jerry.

Reason to record / film shows? No reason, just to make good radio & TV programmes (back in them days Jerry's management didn't demand big extra fees for all this!).

I think there's full tour dates on Wolfie's site: www.chuckberry.de

Great!
Thanks a lot Peter!
Bobby McGee

Postby hussein_maloof » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:36 am

The Rotterdam bootleg is available everywhere in the internet... Jerry Lee only appears in 2 songs:

1) A Rockabilly Medley: (Matchbox - Whole Lotta Shakin - Blue Sedue Shoes)

2) A Gospel Medley: (I'll Fly Away - I Saw The Light - Daddy Sang Bass - Will The Circle Be Unbroken)

It's funny that in these gigs Jerry stole the complete show when he appears...

- HUssein.
hussein_maloof

PreviousNext

Return to Archive