Farm Aid 2008

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:55 pm

I on purpose didn't watch it, as I'd rather wait until I have a perfect DVD to play on my TV. But it's good to know that Jerry did well, & more songs than he usually does at Farm Aid (4 in 2004 & 5 in 2006).
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:55 am

http://www.projo.com/music/content/FARM ... 73b36.html

This article appears unfinished!!

MANSFIELD, Mass. — Farm Aid patriarch Willie Nelson closed the 23rd edition of the benefit concert, the first in New England, at the sold-out Comcast Center with a short set that included hits such as “Whiskey River” and “Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys” and Nelson’s familiar well-worn, comfortable takes on his own material, making even the vigilante justice of “Beer for My Horses” seem amiable. His inimitable lead guitar, on an acoustic guitar so worn it has a hole in it, was as usual part of the deal.

Nelson showed up several times in the course of the afternoon and evening, whether it be accepting theatrically oversized checks on behalf of the organization or sitting in on songs he wrote (“Last Thing I Needed First Thing In the Morning” and “10 With a 2” during Kenny Chesney’s acoustic set; “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” and a thunderous rhumba version of “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” with Nation Beat, the latter seemingly catching Nelson off-guard).

While the point of the 10-hour festival went beyond the music, the music was pretty formidable too.

Neil Young, the last act on before deadline, began with the ’70s electric classics — “Love and Only Love,” “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere” and “Powderfinger,” the latter particularly elegant, but all three featuring Young’s proudly weather-beaten voice and savage guitar plunking — even the gorgeous solos on “Powderfinger” were from the gut, with Young’s familiar tone. He switched to acoustic for “Unknown Legend” and “Old Man” as the show went on, and the harmony vocals mixed nicely with Young’s pleading vibrato.

John Mellencamp preceded Young and opened with a semi-acoustic “Pink Houses” with a prominent dobro and a full-on “Check It Out” with prominent fiddle. The thematic centerpiece of Mellencamp’ set, perhaps not surprisingly, was a pounding, simmering “Scarecrow,” a prescient ’80s song about the foreclosure of family farms. But his working-man’s ethic also permeated an acoustic mini-set including “Minutes to Memories” (“Suck it up, tough it out and be the best you can”), shouting the last verse far from the microphone and “Smalltown,” which included the lyric substitution “My wife was 15 years old when I wrote this song.”

He introduced his closer, “Authority Song,” by remembering the first Farm Aid and recalling that “We thought that the government would listen and change things [for the family farmer] … We were so naïve.”

Dave Matthews played an acoustic show with sidekick (and sometime Dave Matthews Band member) Tim Reynolds, whose guitar wizardry brought the crowd to their feet several times. His long staccato slide solo at the end of “So Damn Lucky” and his bird-like, echoed slides during “Bartender” were highlights, and the acoustics gave “Cornbread” a back-porch feel rather than its usual twisted R&B. Matthews was vocal in his support for farmers, saying from the stage that they were “the only people who really know how to look after the world.”

The early acts had short sets, not enough to do much more than make one’s presence known.

Kenny Chesney did an acoustic set that leaned heavily on his island-vacation persona, including a version of “Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven” that, on his forthcoming record, he recorded with The Wailers. The Pretenders sported a pedal steel guitarist and concentrated heavily on train-rhythm songs, starting off with “Boots of Chinese Plastic” and finishing off with “Thumbelina,” and in between throwing in lovely renditions of early songs such as “Talk of the Town” and “Back on the Chain Gang.” Lead singer Chrissie Hynde, as always, took the chance to advocate for burning all McDonald’s and slaughterhouses to the ground,” and she was in as fine voice as ever, effortlessly handling the key change on “Chain Gang” and cooing through “Thumbelina.”

Jerry Lee Lewis is just short of 73; he shuffled onto the stage, pudgy and gray-haired, and wasted momentum waiting out a TV commercial before starting. None of it mattered. Blowing through full-speed-ahead versions of classics such as “Roll Over Beethoven,” “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” and “Great Balls of Fire,” and adding in the country ballad “You Win Again,” you didn’t need to understand everything he was singing (which you couldn’t) to be
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Piet » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:44 am

Now does this seem to be an strange setlist :roll:

Jeffrey
09-20-2008 8:16:34 PM CST
Farm Aid 2008 Jerry Lee Lewis did an absolutely outstanding performance with numbers I didn't expect him to do. Set list included 1) Roll Over Beethoven 2) You Win Again 3) I Don't Want To Be Lonely Tonight 4) Before The Night Is Over 5) Whole Lotta Shaking Going On 6) Unbelievable version of Great Balls of Fire - what a wonderful show and Jerry looked good and as Pierre said on Farm Aid - Jerry Killed The Show - Can't Follow That - Great Job Jerry - Thanks Marla for letting me know about this. God Bless, Jeffrey
Piet

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:49 am

Although his setlist in 2006 WAS more unusual, featuring (probably) the only ever live version of 'Bright Lights Big City'.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Why wasn´t this mentioned on the "Gig link"?

Piet wrote:Now does this seem to be an strange setlist :roll:

Jeffrey
09-20-2008 8:16:34 PM CST
Farm Aid 2008 Jerry Lee Lewis did an absolutely outstanding performance with numbers I didn't expect him to do. Set list included 1) Roll Over Beethoven 2) You Win Again 3) I Don't Want To Be Lonely Tonight 4) Before The Night Is Over 5) Whole Lotta Shaking Going On 6) Unbelievable version of Great Balls of Fire - what a wonderful show and Jerry looked good and as Pierre said on Farm Aid - Jerry Killed The Show - Can't Follow That - Great Job Jerry - Thanks Marla for letting me know about this. God Bless, Jeffrey

You´re ironic right? :wink:
Tommy

Postby Tumppi » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:55 am

Tumppi

Postby Tumppi » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:59 am

Tumppi

Postby thrund » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:07 am

thanks Tumppi!
thrund

Postby jayhawks » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:14 am

THANK YOU very much!!
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby bailbath » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:04 am

Awesome ending to GBOF that was spot on Jerry Lee!!
Loved it.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby bailbath » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:23 am

I looked and saw and was satisfied with the reaction.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:25 am

bailbath wrote:I looked and saw and was satisfied with the reaction.

Yes, it was great. I look forward to getting the complete footage on DVD which will have better picture and sound, but for the moment it's great to have these two clips. Presumably from the screen at the event.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Tumppi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:04 am

Tumppi

Small request

Postby Maarten K. » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:51 am

Is there someone who recorded (or has) it on dvd who can sent me a copy of it? I would love to have it on good quality. In return I will send you a JLL dvd by choise from my list (there is plenty to choose from).

If so, please sent me a private message.

8)
Maarten K.

Re: Small request

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:08 am

Maarten K. wrote:Is there someone who recorded (or has) it on dvd who can sent me a copy of it? I would love to have it on good quality. In return I will send you a JLL dvd by choise from my list (there is plenty to choose from).

If so, please sent me a private message.

8)

A friend of mine recorded it (in perfect quality), & I'll have it within the next couple of weeks. 8)
peterchecksfield

PreviousNext

Return to Archive