Breathless 1989

Breathless 1989

Postby Ulli » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:52 am

Please, could someone help me? Hearing the GBF Soundtreak, it seems like Jerry's singing with two voices on Breathless? Is that just a gimmick, or is it for other reasons? Don't get me wrong, I don't meen one voice overdubbed over the other, I ment changing voices (Surely both the Killer) during the song. Thanks for helping
Ulli
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Re: Breathless 1989

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:33 am

Ulli wrote:Please, could someone help me? Hearing the GBF Soundtreak, it seems like Jerry's singing with two voices on Breathless? Is that just a gimmick, or is it for other reasons? Don't get me wrong, I don't meen one voice overdubbed over the other, I ment changing voices (Surely both the Killer) during the song. Thanks for helping
Ulli

I don't quite understand what you mean, but as far as I know the GBOF Movie Soundtrack had NO overdubs (except for Dennis Quaid on 'Crazy Arms').
peterchecksfield

Postby Ulli » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:16 am

If I listen close, it sounds like the voice every few lines change, as if they were from different takes. One is hoarse, the other has more echo. But perhaps I just have to see a doctor to get my ears checked... :wink:
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:36 pm

Ulli wrote:If I listen close, it sounds like the voice every few lines change, as if they were from different takes. One is hoarse, the other has more echo. But perhaps I just have to see a doctor to get my ears checked... :wink:

I don't think they used bits of different vocal takes on these sessions (though I may be wrong), but Andy Paley certainly did on 'Whisky Talkin'' (the released version has a vocal compiled from several different takes), & probably on the 'Youngblood' album too. I also wouldn't be too surprised if some of the LMS songs were made this way...
peterchecksfield

Postby Ulli » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:45 pm

Anyway, thanks for your effort!
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby richjohnson26 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:10 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I also wouldn't be too surprised if some of the LMS songs were made this way...

If I remember rightly watching the video for 'Honky Tonk Woman' some of the comments/spoken ad-libs in the song seemed to come from different takes.
richjohnson26

Postby Stefan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:02 am

If you listen to Pink Cadillac from the CD and then watch the promo video of the same song it is a little bit different. Not Jerrys voice but the arrangement and some guitarlicks.
Stefan
Stefan

Postby Maarten K. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:54 am

Stefan wrote:If you listen to Pink Cadillac from the CD and then watch the promo video of the same song it is a little bit different. Not Jerrys voice but the arrangement and some guitarlicks.
Stefan

It is a different mix. In a radio-broadcast, when promoting LMS, Jimmy Rip had brought a different mix of Pink Cadillac then the one on the cd. Can't remember if it was the same mix of the video, but it was different then the one on cd. I guess I have it somewhere but it is stacked in a pile of other JLL cd's.
Maarten K.

Re: Breathless 1989

Postby Key_Okuna » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Ulli wrote:Please, could someone help me? Hearing the GBF Soundtreak, it seems like Jerry's singing with two voices on Breathless? Is that just a gimmick, or is it for other reasons? Don't get me wrong, I don't meen one voice overdubbed over the other, I ment changing voices (Surely both the Killer) during the song. Thanks for helping
Ulli

Yeah, I thought he did a duet with Dennis Quaid on Breathless, but then in the CD cover only put that there's a duet with Quaid on Crazy Arms.
Key_Okuna

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:37 pm

Yeah, I thought he did a duet with Dennis Quaid on Breathless

I can recall that was my impression on first hearing "Breathless"! It's been a long time since I listened to it. Are there any forensic vocal analysts out there who'd like to comment? I think I'd be more easily persuaded that it is a duet with Quaid than an amalgam of different takes of JLL singing.

Just because it says something else on an LP/CD cover it doesn't necessarily make it so! Some early copies of the LP (and certainly the Argentinian one) actually feature the solo JLL performance of 'Crazy Arms', without Quaid. A recording difficult to find until it erroneously appeared on a Mercury-era 2CD set (Many Sides of JLL) a year or two back...

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:34 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:Some early copies of the LP (and certainly the Argentinian one) actually feature the solo JLL performance of 'Crazy Arms', without Quaid. A recording difficult to find until it erroneously appeared on a Mercury-era 2CD set (Many Sides of JLL) a year or two back...

Andrew

Not that difficult to find if you bought "The Killer's Private Stash"...
peterchecksfield

Postby Ulli » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:19 am

So, if one is sure: There's no Quaid on Breathless, if you all have ears. Different vocals takes from Jerry on it.
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby hussein_maloof » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:23 pm

The first part of the song and the second part are possibly from different takes. Let me explain:
In the Outtake of Breathless (from the "Old Time Rock & Roll" Bootleg), it can be heared that the first part is very different, but from the piano solo to the end of the song, is identical to the official released version...

This "alternate take" of Breathless is listed as "Take #6"... So, takes #1 through #5 must have been existed, and the posibility to make a song from different takes in these sessions are real...

- Hussein.
hussein_maloof

Return to Archive