Jerry Lee Lewis and Substance Use

Postby fede4avar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:53 pm

you know tell me where can I get this live jerry lee lewis WESTBURY MUSIC FAIR
New York, July 9, 1999 http://jerry-lee-lewis.40s-50s.info/cds/west.htm
fede4avar

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:57 pm

fede4avar wrote:you know tell me where can I get this live jerry lee lewis WESTBURY MUSIC FAIR
New York, July 9, 1999 http://jerry-lee-lewis.40s-50s.info/cds/west.htm

From the above link... :?:
peterchecksfield

Postby fede4avar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 pm

but you feel you are just pieces of songs I would find it all but someone must have :shock:
fede4avar

Postby fede4avar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:45 pm

I ask you that concert is beautiful jerry lee is in full form someone can not post a link where I can find and download or even buy :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
fede4avar

Postby Bobby McGee » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:22 pm

Perk wrote:
Oh yes, now I AM jealous!
I like the whole Europe Tour 81.
Great!

I really like this tour myself. I was too young at the time. But i was aware of it, and eagerly read the newspaper after Jerry had been in Stockholm. I saved the article of course.

It says.. Jerry, routined, tired to death, uninspired, but still one of the GREATEST!

I whished I was young back then and able to see the concerts.
But in April 1981 I was just 3 months old ;-)

I can´t understand why they called him tired, uninspired, or even senile?!?!
To me he seems to be very strong, rocking hard, happy about what he´s doing, inspired especially on THIS tour.
Why do so many fans like these April concerts (especially Paris)?
Because he was that good at the time...
Last edited by Bobby McGee on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby McGee

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:47 pm

I actually think the 1980 European Tour had the edge over this one (forget the Slough '80 DVDs, these were probably the weakest shows of the tour!). Fans like Pierre remember the 1980 tour as the most "straight" he's ever been since the 60s, with very little drink / drugs, & this showed in the great concerts he did. It was obvious to some people that he was suffering from health problems by april 1981 (apparantly he kept clutching his stomach backstage in Wembley), & it wasn't too much of a shock that he nearly died a couple of months later.
Last edited by peterchecksfield on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Bobby McGee wrote:
Perk wrote:
Oh yes, now I AM jealous!
I like the whole Europe Tour 81.
Great!

I really like this tour myself. I was too young at the time. But i was aware of it, and eagerly read the newspaper after Jerry had been in Stockholm. I saved the article of course.

It says.. Jerry, routined, tired to death, uninspired, but still one of the GREATEST!

I whished I was young back then and able to see the concerts.
But in April 1981 I was just 3 months old ;-)

I can´t understand why they called him tired, uninspired, or even senile?!?!
To me he seems to be very strong, rocking hard, happy about what he´s doing, inspired especially on THIS tour.
Why do so many fans like these April concerts (especially Paris)?
Because he was that good at the time...

Basically because people read the swedish article wrong. It actually describes how great he was. But sort of backwards. There is one piece missing that was the head part. It said "One of the Greatests after all". The review he got, is to me better than anyone could ever get.

He was on great form on all shows on this tour. All thanks to that whiskey glass that was seen as a fully naturally enhancement of his hand. He rocked and was great on every show on this tour. It´s only one show i havent heard yet.

Perk
Perk

Postby Perk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:11 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I actually think the 1980 European Tour had the edge over this one (forget the Slough '80 DVDs, these were probably the weakest shows of the tour!). Fans like Pierre remember the 1980 tour as the most "straight" he's ever been since the 60s, with very little drink / drugs, & this showed in the great concerts he did. It was obvious to some people that he was suffering from health problems by april 1981 (apparantly he kept clutching his stomach backstage in Wembley), & it wasn't too much of a shock that he nearly died a couple of months later.

ALSO...do we REALLY need to see that huge press cutting twice?! EDIT YOUR QUOTES!!! :evil:

I seen a bunch of this! It certainly seems like a fantastic tour too!!!!!

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Perk wrote: All thanks to that whiskey glass that was seen as a fully naturally enhancement of his hand.

And the speed he was injecting straight into his stomach...

I don't think whiskey has ever enhanced a JLL performance, but pills certainly have (it's hard to imagine the Star Club LP without drugs!).
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:16 pm

Perk wrote:I seen a bunch of this! It certainly seems like a fantastic tour too!!!!!

Perk

I saw one of these 1980 shows (London) in person! Along with Cambridge '87 this remains my favourite JLL show (& I've see some good 'uns: Wembley '81 / Wembley '82 / London '83 / Dartford '85 / Northapton '87 / London '89...).
peterchecksfield

Postby Bobby McGee » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:22 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote: All thanks to that whiskey glass that was seen as a fully naturally enhancement of his hand.

Really??
Not really?!? :shock:

Hard to imagine JLL really did those things back then ... :o
Bobby McGee

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:30 pm

Bobby McGee wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Really??
Not really?!? :shock:

Hard to imagine JLL really did those things back then ... :o

He was certainly injecting some sort of drugs into his stomach during that era. But I think the worst mess he got into with drugs was in 1987. Linda Gail was telling everyone that Jerry would be dead by the end of the year, & he probably would've if he hadn't changed his ways a little.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:30 am

He was certainly injecting some sort of drugs into his stomach during that era. But I think the worst mess he got into with drugs was in 1987. Linda Gail was telling everyone that Jerry would be dead by the end of the year, & he probably would've if he hadn't changed his ways a little.

I recall reading the drug he injected was called, ...erm it started with an "m" something? And was used to shoot straight into the stomach, arms and other parts of the body to reduce the pain from the overuse of the previous drugs.

But so glad to see the Killer doing well today, especially on the last Capitol Fourth show!!!
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:17 am

Perk wrote:

I recall reading the drug he injected was called, ...erm it started with an "m" something? And was used to shoot straight into the stomach, arms and other parts of the body to reduce the pain from the overuse of the previous drugs.

But so glad to see the Killer doing well today, especially on the last Capitol Fourth show!!!

Methadone. Bizarrely, it's a drug they give to heroin users as a slightly safer substitute (there's no evidence that Jerry ever touched heroin so why he started on this I've no idea!).

I used to have on cassettes the uncut interviews that Jerry did with Charles White for his book in 1993, & at one point Charles asked Jerry about his "excess" days. Like you, Charles was more interested in his alcohol addictions & was very uncomfortable with take of drugs, but Jerry went into a looong ramble about what great times he had taking all those pills & how sorry he was that he couldn't find the kinda drugs that he & Elvis took in the 60s & 70s anymore! Charles tried to change the subject, but Jerry wasn't interested in talking about drinking, it was the DRUGS that were looked back on most fondly by him. It's a pity this wasn't in the book. 8)
peterchecksfield

Postby Stefan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:43 am

Peter: What kind of drug was Jerry into in 1987 that was even worse ?
I´ve just read the swedish translation of "Hellfire". This book finish at the end of 1980. Nick Tosches could easily write "Hellfire part II" now.
Stefan
Stefan

PreviousNext

Return to Archive