Which Jerry Lee Sound Do You Like Best?



Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:33 am

JerryLeeLewisFan wrote:
Live: With the Memphis Horns (Chicago '73 and Newport '74)


Those weren't the Memphis Horns.
peterchecksfield

 

Postby Roland Boy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:57 am

Stuff I like (and play) the most:
The earliest Sun material (up into '59)
The Star Club album
The first Elektra album
The GBOF soundtrack (ballsy and punchy)
Anything with just JLL alone at the piano

Stuff I dislike (and play the least):
Early '60s Sun recordings (can't stand the organ and dragging arrangements of things like 'Be-Bop-A-Lula')
Some of the wishy-washy Smash stuff ('Turn On Your Lovelight' etc.)
'The Killer Rocks On' LP (all those awful strings - they ruin 'Don't Be Cruel')
'Southern Roots' - JLL and horns? No thanks.
Roland Boy

 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Postby Amadeu » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:06 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
JerryLeeLewisFan wrote:
Live: With the Memphis Horns (Chicago '73 and Newport '74)


Those weren't the Memphis Horns.


Maybe the WAYNE COCHRAN & THE SEE SEE RIDERS’?
By the way, I like very much these shows with Jerry and this orchestra behind him
Amadeu

 
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: Barcelona,Catalonia

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 am

JerryLeeJnr wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
JerryLeeLewisFan wrote:
Live: With the Memphis Horns (Chicago '73 and Newport '74)


Those weren't the Memphis Horns.


Maybe the WAYNE COCHRAN & THE SEE SEE RIDERS’?
By the way, I like very much these shows with Jerry and this orchestra behind him


No, they were just The Memphis Beats.
peterchecksfield

 

Re: Which Jerry Lee Sound Do You Like Best?

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:52 am

Tim in St. Louis wrote:
I also really enjoy just Jerry with his piano. Too bad the trends in music
toward acoustic etc. wasn't in vogue in those days. It would have been great to see him do a complete solo, one-man show type of tour once in his life.


I'd find this a little boring myself (except perhaps for 1 or 2 songs), preferring to hear him with a band. However I'd like to see him do shows with no guitars (just bass & drums) like he did in the 50s.
peterchecksfield

 

Re: Which Jerry Lee Sound Do You Like Best?

Postby Tommy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Key_Okuna wrote:There's a video with Jerry alone on the piano playing GBOF and WLSGO:

http://jerryleelewis-spain.com/spain.html

Click in the video from 1990.


Wow! Great! Where´s this clip from and why didn´t he have backing musicians? haven´t seen him performed like that before!
Tommy

 
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Which Jerry Lee Sound Do You Like Best?

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:38 pm

Tommy wrote:
Key_Okuna wrote:There's a video with Jerry alone on the piano playing GBOF and WLSGO:

http://jerryleelewis-spain.com/spain.html

Click in the video from 1990.


Wow! Great! Where´s this clip from and why didn´t he have backing musicians? haven´t seen him performed like that before!


Spanish TV 1990, & he did similar TV shows without a band prior to this (2 shows in the UK in 1980, a TV show in Italy in 1987).
peterchecksfield

 

Postby Roland Boy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:07 pm

Loved his 'solo' stint on 'Blue Peter' in 1980. Shame it was in the pre-John Leslie days... (Hope that doesn't offend anyone.)
Roland Boy

 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Postby bailbath » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:59 pm

Sarcasm does not suit you Roland!
Ian
bailbath

User avatar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Bath, uk

Re: Which Jerry Lee Sound Do You Like Best?

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:38 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tim in St. Louis wrote:
I also really enjoy just Jerry with his piano. Too bad the trends in music
toward acoustic etc. wasn't in vogue in those days. It would have been great to see him do a complete solo, one-man show type of tour once in his life.


I'd find this a little boring myself (except perhaps for 1 or 2 songs), preferring to hear him with a band. However I'd like to see him do shows with no guitars (just bass & drums) like he did in the 50s.



I was thinking along the lines of Elton John's solo piano shows which I enjoyed as a twist to his usual band.

Question: In his prime what would you have expected had Jerry done a one man show, just him and his piano? I think it would have forced him into more interaction with the audience and would have revealed his personality much more, on-stage.

Since this will obviously never happen, I'm more interested in what people think such a show would have been like.
Tim in St. Louis

 
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:05 am

Postby Roland Boy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:51 pm

bailbath wrote:Sarcasm does not suit you Roland!
Ian


I've got no idea what you're talking about, but if Elton John continues to be mentioned on this JLL message board I shall be forced to post threads about Bobby Crush.
Roland Boy

 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:08 am

Roland Boy wrote:
bailbath wrote:Sarcasm does not suit you Roland!
Ian


I've got no idea what you're talking about, but if Elton John continues to be mentioned on this JLL message board I shall be forced to post threads about Bobby Crush.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ibcUjP1YOI
Tim in St. Louis

 
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:05 am

Postby ChrisdeB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:24 am

Roland Boy wrote:Loved his 'solo' stint on 'Blue Peter' in 1980. Shame it was in the pre-John Leslie days... (Hope that doesn't offend anyone.)


Boring!!! I suggest you move on like the rest of us!!!!
ChrisdeB

 
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:17 am

Postby bailbath » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:56 am

Tim in St. Louis wrote:
Roland Boy wrote:
bailbath wrote:Sarcasm does not suit you Roland!
Ian


I've got no idea what you're talking about, but if Elton John continues to be mentioned on this JLL message board I shall be forced to post threads about Bobby Crush.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ibcUjP1YOI


This is not the place for Elton John youtube the matter with Roland Boy has been dealt with there is no need to try to wind him up. I suggest me concentrate on the thread title.
Ian
PS sorry to sound like a headmaster but come on guys we are adults!
bailbath

User avatar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Bath, uk

Previous

Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron