Which Jerry Lee Sound Do You Like Best?

Which Jerry Lee Sound Do You Like Best?

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:33 pm

For me it's the pure Nashville styled hard country when he first committed all out to country (1968-1969?) and the horn driven style of "Southern Roots". I love the early rockabilly stuff and other variations in backing instrumentation, but not as much as the other two.

I also really enjoy just Jerry with his piano. Too bad the trends in music
toward acoustic etc. wasn't in vogue in those days. It would have been great to see him do a complete solo, one-man show type of tour once in his life. I'm sure his showmanship would have come to the fore and been a sensation.

What was it like in his post concert hotel jam sessions?
Tim in St. Louis

Postby Perk » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:38 pm

I always find these things hard to say. It´s always so difficult to decide. It´s much easier to say what sound i don´t like at all. That´s the Great Balls Of Fire movie soundtrack, Youngblood & At Hank Cochrans.

The rest goes down fine with me 8)

Perk
Perk

Re: Which Jerry Lee Sound Do You Like Best?

Postby bailbath » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Tim in St. Louis wrote:. I love the early rockabilly stuff and other variations in backing instrumentation, but not as much as the other two.

Thats Rock n Roll not Rockabilly Son.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby W_Skinner » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi folks, I'm back in civilisation ;)

Here's what I like best:

Studio:
The early / middle Smash recordings (esp. The return of rock & Soul my way")
Southern Roots & Outtakes
All Elektra Recordings (esp. JLL and Caribou)

Speaking of live recordings, there is still soooo much to discover, so I just pick Starclub '64 and Hammersmith '83
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Postby Forrest Mayer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:09 pm

Studio: Southern Roots

Live: With the Memphis Horns (Chicago '73 and Newport '74)
-AND-
'82-'83 With Bill Strom on organ (Happy New Year America '82)-- probably my most favorite
Best Regards, Mayer
Forrest Mayer

Postby Perk » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:25 pm

It seems many likes the Southern Roots. I for one thinks the sound was bad. It´s so strange that Meat Man & Just A Little Bit sounded much better on the original promotion album with that interview.

Bear family released for instance "Haunted House" in an extended version in the 80´s which sounded marvelous! I wish the original album had sounded like this!

And it should! Who´s to blame? Mercury?

Perk
Perk

Postby Tommy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:07 pm

bailbath wrote:Thats Rock n Roll not Rockabilly Son.
Ian

:lol: Was that a quote from the Killer himself?

I agree with Tim on Jerry with just his piano. I´ve always wanted to see him touring alone with only his piano. I think it would suit him fine to do it that simple, clean way like Johnny Cashs later albums.
Tommy

Postby Key_Okuna » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Tommy wrote:
bailbath wrote:Thats Rock n Roll not Rockabilly Son.
Ian

:lol: Was that a quote from the Killer himself?

I agree with Tim on Jerry with just his piano. I´ve always wanted to see him touring alone with only his piano. I think it would suit him fine to do it that simple, clean way like Johnny Cashs later albums.

There's a video with Jerry alone on the piano playing GBOF and WLSGO:

http://jerryleelewis-spain.com/spain.html

Click in the video from 1990.
Key_Okuna

Postby ChrisdeB » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:57 pm

I like the early SUN sound with the three muciams backing Jerry Lee. Thats the best 4 me,
ChrisdeB

Postby Svein » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:11 pm

ChrisdeB wrote:I like the early SUN sound with the three muciams backing Jerry Lee. Thats the best 4 me,

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The early SUN had an EXPLOSIVE energy in almoust all tracks!! BUT!!! His voice and piano playing was better in the late 60's and early 70's.. But the early SUN recordings beats it all!!! Most of all, I like the tracks with ONLY JLL... only his voice and piano... that's DYNAMITE!!
Svein

Postby ChrisdeB » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Svein wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:I like the early SUN sound with the three muciams backing Jerry Lee. Thats the best 4 me,

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The early SUN had an EXPLOSIVE energy in almoust all tracks!! BUT!!! His voice and piano playing was better in the late 60's and early 70's.. But the early SUN recordings beats it all!!! Most of all, I like the tracks with ONLY JLL... only his voice and piano... that's DYNAMITE!!

I love that solo session that he id at SUN prior to his UK tour some great performances from it. Of course "That lucky Old Sun" is an awesome solo track.
ChrisdeB

Postby Svein » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:49 pm

ChrisdeB wrote:
Svein wrote:

I love that solo session that he id at SUN prior to his UK tour some great performances from it. Of course "That lucky Old Sun" is an awesome solo track.

Yes it is! I've always liked that song..

BUT!!! My ABSOLUTE favorite JLL-track does not come from SUN... My favorite track is "I'm On Fire"!! That's the song that made me a JLL fan in the first place, and STILL.. after ALL these years, it's my absolute favorite!!! But... if it comes to a period, I am a "SUN-man"..:-) I also like the "newer" JLL stuff, of course :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way.. I REALLY love(!!) the star club LP/CD.. AND!!! The Greatest Live Show On Earth... Those are worth a LOT to me.. SO MUCH great music can not be found elsewhere!!!! JLL is the greatest of them all... NO doubt about that!!!
Svein

Postby ChrisdeB » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Svein wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:
Svein wrote:

Yes it is! I've always liked that song..

BUT!!! My ABSOLUTE favorite JLL-track doe not come from SUN... My favorite trackis "I'm On Fire"!! That's the song tha made me a JLL fan in the first place, and STILL.. after ALLthese years, it's my absolute favorite!!! But... as a period, I am a "SUN-man"..:-) I also like the "newer" JLL stuff, of course :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way.. I REALLY love(!!) the star club LP/CD.. AND!!! The Greatest Live Show On Earth... Those are worth a LOT to me.. SO MUCH great music can not be found elsewhere!!!! JLL is the greatest of them all... NO doubt about that!!!

Yes I agree!!! They are amazing Cds/lps. when I first got ibto Jerry Lee in the early 70's I spent ages tracking thoese albums down.It was well worth the effort.
rThe complete show on the Bear family Locust years box set is pretty amazing as well. The complete version of "What I say" is fab!!

I like "I'm on Fire" a lot, and it was a real shame it was not a hit.

The SUN material is still my fav though!!!
ChrisdeB

Postby Svein » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:08 pm

Apart from ´"I'm On Fire", the Sun stuff is my favorites as well as yours :lol: :lol: I always think of "I'm On Fire" as a Sun track... even if it's not :lol: It has the same energy, and could very well fit in amoungst his Sun recordings...

You know.. at the same time Elvis was fooling around with movies like "Blue Hawaii", JLL showed the world who the REAL King was (and still is!) by recording "I'm on Fire"!!! That means a lot!! It is a GREAT song.. it's a KILLER!!!!!!!!! and....THEN some...:-)
Svein

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:31 am

I've always particularly liked the 1961-1963 SUN recordings. They had lots of instruments (organ, sax, etc + backing singers) yet they were very well mixed with JLL to the fore. The 1963-1967 Smash recordings were great too, but sometimes badly mixed (the drums on 'I'm On Fire' especially sound bad!).
peterchecksfield

Next

Return to Archive