Whole Lotta Twistin' Going On

Whole Lotta Twistin' Going On

Postby Key_Okuna » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:07 pm

Why did Jerry change the lyrics of Whole Lotta Shakin'? =S
Key_Okuna

Re: Whole Lotta Twistin' Going On

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:43 am

Key_Okuna wrote:Why did Jerry change the lyrics of Whole Lotta Shakin'? =S

Because The Twist was the craze of 1961-1962. Shame it wasn't released until the early 70s though.

Here's the original version (& original lyrics) of 'I've Been Twistin'':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_mhz08RQQ

(I'd forgotten just how good this is!) 8)
peterchecksfield

Postby PirateHook » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:45 am

The difference betwen the lyrics are?
PirateHook

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:52 am

PirateHook wrote:The difference betwen the lyrics are?

Junior Parker doesn't sing "I've Been Twistin'", he sings "We're Gonna Boogie" instead.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:35 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Key_Okuna wrote:Why did Jerry change the lyrics of Whole Lotta Shakin'? =S

Because The Twist was the craze of 1961-1962. Shame it wasn't released until the early 70s though.

Here's the original version (& original lyrics) of 'I've Been Twistin'':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_mhz08RQQ

(I'd forgotten just how good this is!) 8)

Rock'n'Roll went thru a mini-revival in The Twist era with new versions of many songs - Twist Around The Clock, Whole Lotta Twistin' (Mickey Gilley had a version of this too), and Gene Vincent had 'Be-bop-a-lula 62' with the lines 'Be-bop-a-lula, she's a little Twister'

Then the rock'n'roll dance craze just went mad with The Hully Gully, Mashed Potato, Watusi, Popeye and all sorts. There was even a dance called The Hitler. It was all basically rock'n'roll, which continued in a somewhat watered down version till The Beatles came along, and even they started out with recorded versions of things like Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Honey Don't, etc. which many Mods of the time thought were original versions of these songs.

This is what first caused the split between Rockers and Mods - the fact that Mods took these cover versions by British groups to be the originals.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Tumppi » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:40 pm

Tony Papard wrote: It was all basically rock'n'roll, which continued in a somewhat watered down version till The Beatles came along, and even they started out with recorded versions of things like Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Honey Don't, etc. which many Mods of the time thought were original versions of these songs.

This is what first caused the split between Rockers and Mods - the fact that Mods took these cover versions by British groups to be the originals.

I remember not long time ago i saw Jerry Lee's interview on finnish TV and he said something like "In early sixties it was Bobby there and Bobby here. Then i called those Beatles boys and told them to take it on" :D
Tumppi

Postby Key_Okuna » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:38 pm

Tumppi wrote:
Tony Papard wrote: It was all basically rock'n'roll, which continued in a somewhat watered down version till The Beatles came along, and even they started out with recorded versions of things like Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Honey Don't, etc. which many Mods of the time thought were original versions of these songs.

I remember not long time ago i saw Jerry Lee's interview on finnish TV and he said something like "In early sixties it was Bobby there and Bobby here. Then i called those Beatles boys and told them to take it on" :D

Yeah, it's from the I Am What I Am documentary, I saw it on saturday! =D

Well, in fact I like twist, I like very much Chubby Checker and The Beatles, but I didn't know why Jerry changed the lyrics of the song. =)
Key_Okuna

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:01 pm

Basically, Jerry (& his producers) were doing anything & (nearly) everything to try to get a hit. Which is why we have such a variation of styles for the years 1960-1967 (& why this remains my favourite era!).
peterchecksfield

twistin with Bill Haley - & everyone else.

Postby martin bates » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Key_Okuna wrote:

Well, in fact I like twist, I like very much Chubby Checker and The Beatles, but I didn't know why Jerry changed the lyrics of the song. =)

everyone seemed to get in on the twist craze; as Tony has pointed out Gene changed Be Bop A Lula, Elvis' Rock A Hula Baby was labeled a 'Twist Special' on the record -even Frank Sinatra did a twist record.
Bill Haley jumped in big style & had some successs in Mexico where his Florida Twist was a big hit;he also covered CC's Let's Twist Again -sung in Spanish - and did a good job on a song called 'Spanish Twist',but things weren't happening for him. His 'Live' Album recorded at the Roundtable (around 1962 ?) tagged the word Twist on just about every track.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby Amadeu » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:10 pm

Key_Okuna wrote:
Tumppi wrote:

By the way, what's the year of that interview?. I could never relate any year with the look(phisically) of Jerry there.
Amadeu

Postby Key_Okuna » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:50 pm

JerryLeeJnr wrote:
Key_Okuna wrote:
Tumppi wrote:

By the way, what's the year of that interview?. I could never relate any year with the look(phisically) of Jerry there.

He looks like in some concerts he did in 1987, but I don't know exactly the year.
Key_Okuna

Postby Amadeu » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:16 pm

Key_Okuna wrote:
JerryLeeJnr wrote:
Key_Okuna wrote:
Tumppi wrote:

He looks like in some concerts he did in 1987, but I don't know exactly the year.

Add: What year and where did this take place? (Jerry's Ranch)
Amadeu

Return to Archive