All You Need Is Love on DVD

All You Need Is Love on DVD

Postby tchr » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:31 am

tchr

Re: All You Need Is Love on DVD

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:48 am

Tore Christensen wrote:http://www.antimusic.com/news/08/march/03All_You_Need_Is_Love_Boxset.shtml

Tore

Interesting, I wonder which edit of the episode featuring Jerry they'll use? There were two different versions broadcast in the UK (the later broadcast featuring footage of Elvis' funeral at the end), & a third version (German TV?) featured an extra music clip, of Jerry performing 'You Can Have Her'.

The JLL footage in this (filmed in 1975) is possibly the wildest ever captured on film!
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:55 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tore Christensen wrote:http://www.antimusic.com/news/08/march/03All_You_Need_Is_Love_Boxset.shtml

Tore

Interesting, I wonder which edit of the episode featuring Jerry they'll use? There were two different versions broadcast in the UK (the later broadcast featuring footage of Elvis' funeral at the end), & a third version (German TV?) featured an extra music clip, of Jerry performing 'You Can Have Her'.

The JLL footage in this (filmed in 1975) is possibly the wildest ever captured on film!

Great news! This is as Peter says some of the wildest footage ever. It was the TV show that made me a Jerry Lee fan back in the late 70´s. I belivie Jerry was in episode 12. But episode 11 are also of interest for rock fans.

Perk
Perk

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Tore

Great news! This is as Peter says some of the wildest footage ever. It was the TV show that made me a Jerry Lee fan back in the late 70´s. I belivie Jerry was in episode 12. But episode 11 are also of interest for rock fans.

Perk

What I liked best about the episode featuring Jerry Lee, was the direct comparison between him and Elvis, narrated by Jack Good. Especially the line which summed up who was the real King of Rock'n'Roll:

'In his battle with The Establishment, it's perfectly obvious that Elvis lost!'
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Perk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:14 pm

I just watched the entire episode that i have of where Jerry is involved. But did not spot any Elvis funeral footage. The others i have is basically different versions with Jerry´s parts, swedish, german etc. But the question i have to Peter is, have you seen this version with the Elvis funeral footage, what was shown about it? Short clips or?

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Perk wrote:I just watched the entire episode that i have of where Jerry is involved. But did not spot any Elvis funeral footage. The others i have is basically different versions with Jerry´s parts, swedish, german etc. But the question i have to Peter is, have you seen this version with the Elvis funeral footage, what was shown about it? Short clips or?

Perk

The difference is that they showed footage of Elvis' funeral at the end (I think it was during the closing credits). It's actually the only version I've seen all the way through, on a very poor quality VHS tape that I threw away years ago.
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:20 pm

peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:25 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:I just watched the entire episode that i have of where Jerry is involved. But did not spot any Elvis funeral footage. The others i have is basically different versions with Jerry´s parts, swedish, german etc. But the question i have to Peter is, have you seen this version with the Elvis funeral footage, what was shown about it? Short clips or?

Perk

The difference is that they showed footage of Elvis' funeral at the end (I think it was during the closing credits). It's actually the only version I've seen all the way through, on a very poor quality VHS tape that I threw away years ago.

Hm? Those clips are not on mine, and i have the entire episode. Interesting to know there´s another one.

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:27 pm

Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Perk

Hm? Those clips are not on mine, and i have the entire episode. Interesting to know there´s another one.

Perk

Does your complete episode include the clip of 'You Can Have Her'? This wasn't on mine, & if it's not on yours then this confirms that there were at least 3 different versions.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:28 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQheAilyx3o

Cool! They already got a trailer out! Thanks for this Peter! Only interviews it seems, but there´s some great live footage included in this series, not only Jerry Lee at his wildest, but also some great stuff on other rockers.

Perk
Perk

Postby Perk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Does your complete episode include the clip of 'You Can Have Her'? This wasn't on mine, & if it's not on yours then this confirms that there were at least 3 different versions.

No it doesn´t. I got that german one from you a few years ago 8)

Perk
Perk

Postby Perk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:52 pm

I think all the versions has to do with the fact that what Tony Palmer told me a few years ago. The material was all sent out to the distributors. How they then used it is apparently different for different countries.

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:11 pm

Perk wrote:I think all the versions has to do with the fact that what Tony Palmer told me a few years ago. The material was all sent out to the distributors. How they then used it is apparently different for different countries.

Perk

That's nothing unusual. For instance, 'Austin City Limits' & 'Last Man Standing Live' were sent out to various TV companies, & then they edited them or broadcast them complete as they wanted. What is unusual is that extra footage was available (a bit like the distributors being sent the unreleased songs from 'Austin City Limits' or 'Last Man Standing Live', something which never happened of course). The Elvis funeral footage was available to everyone as it was a news item (& probably filmed by many people), but it's a mystery why that extra clip of 'You Can Have Her' was available.
peterchecksfield

Postby Roland Boy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:19 pm

I have an audio tape of the original UK broadcast (this was before the days of video recorders being in most homes) and 'You Can Have Her' is included.
Roland Boy

Postby Perk » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:47 pm

Roland Boy wrote:I have an audio tape of the original UK broadcast (this was before the days of video recorders being in most homes) and 'You Can Have Her' is included.

Are you sure this is the UK broadcast? I got this, but on a German broadcast. Which was a big surprise to me a few years ago.

Lots more were shot, i know i talked to the producer. But it´s perhaps all lost.

An awfully good performance though, Jerry at the wildest!

Perk
Perk

Next

Return to Archive