Grammy Awards 2008

Postby flip54 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:20 pm

Hear hear! Well said Ian

Part of the joy of being an older JLL fan is that, having aged over 40 years since I became a fan, I appreciate greatly how much the years have taken out of JLL. There's usually more criticism of him on this list (some is usually constructive)rather than praise.Both are like water off the killer's back

As one who spent a nerve wracking couple of weeks when he was literally hanging it in whilst at death's door in the 80s (and info was only gotten thru US fans on the phone)I`m blydi thrilled that he's just breathing, even if he never records again or appears on tv I don't care, he's my hero and brought me more pleasure in a musical lifetime than any other artist.

In contrast of all my early heroes still living Little Richard has done the least since his first retirement in 57, I've bought most of his records along the way and like his gigs they usually leave me usually disappointed, however I'll play his Specialty sides and a few 60s sides until the curtain comes down. A mate summed up the latter day LR as being like a cartoon of what he was but it comes over visually- but perhaps not convincingly for us fans who recall him in his prime. Neither of their Grammy songs matched up to the Granada fervour that inspired me as a kid, but they are both here and you'd have got long odds on that in the 70s

I think it's wonderful that belatedly (perhaps guilt for ignoring real rock n roll since they started in the late 50s ) the Grammy people realise it's time to include as many of the great early names as possible and I reckon that 50s fan John Fogerty has a lot to do with it

Phil

bailbath wrote:Jerry has been written off before and he always comes back!I have faith that there is still more to come God willing.Little richards performance was fine as well but he did a little bit then Fogarty took over.
I'm not saying that you guys are writing him off.
Critizise as much as you like but I will always defend Jerry Lee and in context of the performance of the Grammy medley in the whole of great balls of fire Jerry needed no help!!
IAN
flip54

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:30 pm

bailbath wrote:Sometimes I wonder if some you guys are fans or not I played the clip back and I was expecting to see a out of tune out out of timing performance but I think Great balls of fire was GREAT.I am glad that Jerry is still here sometimes I wonder if some of you wish he was dead! When watched it last night I felt the same in comparison to some of the other artists that performed it was more than great.And some of them won awards!!!!
IAN

I agree, Ian. I didn't see anything wrong with Jerry's performance at all. He was hitting all the difficult high notes on Great Balls of Fire - I notice John Fogerty didn't even attempt to sing it along with him.

By contrast, Little Richard looked weak and skinny, especially his hands on the keyboard, and was wearing a ridiculous wig and about a ton of make-up. He too did a good performance, but John Fogerty helped him out on Good Golly Miss Molly - Jerry did his number all by himself.

Richard has ALWAYS come across better to audiences, and of course he takes care of his appearance, unlike Jerry. So people who haven't seen Jerry for years are shocked to see an overweight old man. By the time they've gotten over the shock, his song is over, and they haven't really listened to his performance.

Neither Jerry nor Richard are as wild as they were 50 years ago of course, but I felt they both peformed well on the Grammy's with nothing to choose between them quite honestly, except Richard looked more like a Rock star with his weird appearance. Jerry was just himself as always, very smart in his suit.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jayhawks » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:41 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
duffield dan wrote:How come they only talked about Jerrys movements and not Little Richard's, I thought he was in worse nick than Jerry.

Because Richard has the charisma & (to a lesser extent) the voice to carry it off better. And stiff or not, no-one quite looks like Little Richard (though several have tried), whereas Jerry looks more like an a pensioner on vacation than a rock star these days.

duffield dan wrote:Has anybody ever seen Little Richard without his wig, that would be interesting :lol:

(the 4 guys with him are wearing wigs though!) :lol:

good ol`days...

read about a "non-wig" Little Richard "performing" some adult entertainment to the surprised Star Club Manager :shock: Horst Fascher in the Little Richard Chapter of "Let The Good Times Roll"... 8)

also great & explicit stories about the young John Lennon rumbling the Hamburg Reeperbahn & lot of "girl-stories"... :lol:
http://www.star-club-entertainment.de/
jayhawks

Postby hamd01 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:19 am

jayhawks wrote:jerry never does any rehearsal/ soundcheck-

he is THE KILLER! :P

Did you see the show? It was very...very tight. No way would they have let Jerry near that stage without a decent rehersal....he had to break into GBOF at exactly the right second, he had to play it a certain way etc etc.

In fact, a quick youtube search shows evidence of Jerry in rehersal;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGB2s6yhRmo

If only he could reherse for the shows which the public pay to go and see....maybe then he wouldnt have to waste so much time during the usually short performance, complaining about the setup of the audio.
hamd01

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:43 am

hamd01 wrote:
jayhawks wrote:jerry never does any rehearsal/ soundcheck-

he is THE KILLER! :P

Did you see the show? It was very...very tight. No way would they have let Jerry near that stage without a decent rehersal....he had to break into GBOF at exactly the right second, he had to play it a certain way etc etc.

In fact, a quick youtube search shows evidence of Jerry in rehersal;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGB2s6yhRmo

If only he could reherse for the shows which the public pay to go and see....maybe then he wouldnt have to waste so much time during the usually short performance, complaining about the setup of the audio.

At the very least, TV shows would insist that Jerry is there for a soundcheck (& perhaps camera rehearsals). If only promotors / venues would insist the same...
peterchecksfield

Postby Alvin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:01 am

I feel exactly the same way as Phil. But then we are 'familly'.

Bro
Alvin

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Alvin wrote:I feel exactly the same way as Phil. But then we are 'familly'.

Bro

I would make another comment at the risk of being shot down in flames - 'Good Golly Miss Molly' is a more rocking song than 'Great Balls of Fire', or at least the version Jerry sung on the Grammy's. I've often stated that Jerry's Sun version of 'Good Golly Miss Molly' is my favorite Sun track by him.

The movie version of GBoF rocks more as it has that extra piano solo building up to a great climax.

Songs like 'Great Balls of Fire', 'Breathless' and 'Big Blon' Baby' have those high falsetto notes which only a few male singers can reach. Probably why neither Richard nor Fogerty would even attempt to sing along with Jerry.

I agree it's a shame Jerry wasn't more active in Good Golly Miss Molly, but perhaps he didn't want to muscle in on Richard's number.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:03 pm

Tony Papard wrote:Songs like 'Great Balls of Fire', 'Breathless' and 'Big Blon' Baby' have those high falsetto notes which only a few male singers can reach. Probably why neither Richard nor Fogerty would even attempt to sing along with Jerry.

C'mon Tony, Little Richard can (still) reach those notes in his sleep...

'Great Balls of Fire' is in too low a key for Fogerty & Richard, & 'Good Golly Miss Molly' is far too high for Jerry (even Jerry's sun cut was recorded 5 steps lower than Richard's!). That's probably why they didn't attempt to sing along.
peterchecksfield

Postby Alvin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Jerrys Sun Good Golly Miss Molly has a far more inspired piano break than Richards sped up Rocket 88 playing!
Alvin

Postby Alvin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:15 pm

[quote="Alvin"]Jerrys Sun Good Golly Miss Molly has a far more inspired piano break than Richards sped up Rocket 88 playing![/quote]

Stick that in your Sax and blow it, Leo Green!
Alvin

Postby tchr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:19 pm

Tony Papard wrote:The movie version of GBoF rocks more as it has that extra piano solo building up to a great climax.

That's true, and in some of the last concerts I have seen with JLL, he keeps on going round after round at the end of GBoF. Thinkin' about Oslo in March last year in particular. Wish he had done that at the Grammys, or in the Last Man Standing DVD. That would have brought the audience to their feet..

Tore
tchr

Postby Alvin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:39 pm

I think that the 1957 hit version of GBOF is unique. It seems to have drive and power that has never been replicated. Other versions rock but there is something very special about that moment, that night in '57 where one of the greatest tracks in recorded music was created!

Bro

PS the version of GBOF used in the movie had extra piano over-dubbed onto the issued soundtrack. If you listen carefully you can hear the original piano solo in the background (last part of second piano solo).
Alvin

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:38 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:Songs like 'Great Balls of Fire', 'Breathless' and 'Big Blon' Baby' have those high falsetto notes which only a few male singers can reach. Probably why neither Richard nor Fogerty would even attempt to sing along with Jerry.

C'mon Tony, Little Richard can (still) reach those notes in his sleep...

'Great Balls of Fire' is in too low a key for Fogerty & Richard, & 'Good Golly Miss Molly' is far too high for Jerry (even Jerry's sun cut was recorded 5 steps lower than Richard's!). That's probably why they didn't attempt to sing along.

Yes Peter, Richard can reach very high notes, but usually when screaming his 'Oohs!' like he did during GGMM.

What I meant was Great Balls of Fire is a more difficult song to sing. The version on Star-Club really rocks, but Good Golly Miss Molly following it rocks even harder, and the whole album builds up to a great climax with Hound Dog, Long Tall Sally and Whole Lotta Shakin'

Pity really they didn't do more than one song each, but am grateful they even got that.

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

SUE THEM BASTARDS

Postby bailbath » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:50 am

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/people,67 ... mony,17414
It seems congratulations are in order to the producers of the Grammys who somehow managed to persuade the ageing rockers Little Richard (pictured left) and Jerry Lee Lewis (right) to share the same stage on Sunday without attempting to kill each other.

Jerry Lee, 72, and Richard, 75, have loathed each other for more than
half a century. It is a hatred based on jealousy, rivalry and racism. Yet they have frequently shared concert tours around the world and each time, the same fraught question has to be dealt with: who will be acknowledged as the true 'star' and therefore be granted the honour of closing the show?

On one famous occasion Little Richard lost that particular battle. He
had to go on before Jerry Lee. His retaliation was sweet. First he
reduced the audience to a sweaty senile frenzy. Then he re-entered the auditorium while Jerry was trying to get his act going, blandly signed autographs, then left taking half the audience with him.

This was an act of courage considering that Jerry Lee didn't get his nickname 'The Killer' for nothing. On one tour of England he blew a gasket on the first night, loudly exclaiming that he was damned if he'd accept a dressing room next to one occupied by "a mothering jigaboo".

No such fireworks at the Grammys, where the question of who came on last was neatly avoided. The two old boys shared the moment. Sitting back to back at their pianos, they treated the audience to their iconic anthems, Jerry Lee with Great Balls Of Fire and Little Richard with Good Golly Miss Molly.

It would be nice to think that once they were wheeled off stage, they had a hug for old time's sake and shared a bed-time Ovaltine. But it's doubtful.

Time for JLL to break a habit of a lifetime and sue.Where are brasstacks now?
IAN
bailbath

Site Admin

Re: SUE THEM BASTARDS

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:07 am

bailbath wrote:Time for JLL to break a habit of a lifetime and sue.Where are brasstacks now?
IAN

I agree.

They fail to mention that Little Richard is on Jerry's latest album (and they recorded the vocals for this in the studio together). They've also performed together on stage several times before (Grammy's '83, Salute to JLL '83, Rome '88, Wembley '92). I doubt if they were particularly friendly to each other back in the 60s or 70s, but they've been fine for years now, & I think there's always been respect between them (Jerry praises Richard on The Greatest Live Show On Earth of course).
peterchecksfield

PreviousNext

Return to Archive