A setlist for Jerry's concerts

Postby Dirk B. » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:39 pm

Yes.... :D But "Before the night is over" was not on my list!
Dirk B.

Postby bailbath » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Bump this up as we are talking about it again.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Dirk B. wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:What own songs? Jerry Lee Lewis IS a cover artist, even though the greatest in the world, who makes ALL songs his OWN. I never grow tired of hearing "Roll Over Beethoven", to me maybe the greatest song in Rock'n'Roll history and Jerry plays a unique version every time.

Whatever, he has recorded so many great songs that his set list could be the most exciting one in the world every time he plays. Sadly it is not.

The ideal "own song" to start with would be "Lewis Boogie". Another one would be "Breathless", though for whatever reason Jerry doesn't like the song. Or "GBOF" as opener - why not? Fats Domino also started many concerts with "I'm Walkin' . Or maybe start with "WLSGO" and finish with "GBOF". Okay, to be precise, "WLSGO" is not a JLL original, but nobody would say "listen, he does a Big Maybelle" number, while "ROB" is deeply associated with Chuck Berry. I'm tired of "Roll Over Beethoven"...
P.S.: "High School Confidential" would be a fine opener, too....

I think 'Rockin' Jerry Lee' would make a far better opening song than 'Lewis Boogie', but I do agree with Wolfie that 'Roll Over Beethoven' is one of his best opening songs (even though I'm bored with it too). I think it's good to open with a song that everyone knows. 'High School Confidential' & 'Breathless' would be too hard for him to sing (& the latter would be too hard for Robert Hall to play!).

Incidentally I think 'Roll Over Beethoven' is more strongly associated with The Beatles than anyone (certainly they sold more copies of the song than anyone else).
peterchecksfield

Postby fede4avar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:46 pm

1.I Don't Want To Be Lonely Tonight
2. Life's Railway To Heaven
3. Middle Age Crazy
4. Rockin My Life Away
5. Tennese Saturday Night
6. Boogie Woogie Country Man
7. You Belong To Me
8. Crazy Arms
9. Don't Put No Headstone on My Grave
10. Roll Over Bethoven
12. Great Balls Of Fire
13. Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Meat Man

these are the songs that I like but I feel very hard :shock:

I would like to hear in that reminds me of the 1983 was always as the beginning I Do not Want To Be Lonely Tonight :D
fede4avar

Postby martin bates » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:18 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Incidentally I think 'Roll Over Beethoven' is more strongly associated with The Beatles than anyone (certainly they sold more copies of the song than anyone else).

:?: .......it was on their 2nd album - but I've never heard anyone refer to it as a Beatles song. Was it a US single ? - certainly not over here.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:18 pm

martin bates wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

:?: .......it was on their 2nd album - but I've never heard anyone refer to it as a Beatles song. Was it a US single ? - certainly not over here.

Martin.

I've heard Chuck Berry refer to it as a Beatles song (got it on DVD in fact!). :shock:

Incidentally the only U.K. hit version was by The Electric Light Orchestra, which got to number 6 in the U.K. charts in 1972. This was the first version I can recall ever hearing.
Last edited by peterchecksfield on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:18 pm

This should suit on the setlist, shouldn´t it balibath? :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6UcI24Hu2Q
"Don't look at the clouds of tomorrow through the sunshine of today!"

Mick Jagger
Tommy

Postby martin bates » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:33 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
martin bates wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Martin.

I've heard Chuck Berry refer to it as a Beatles song (got it on DVD in fact!). :shock:

so that's you & Chuck Berry then ! :wink:
even so, it's questionable if the Beatles version "sold more copies". It seems it regularly appeared in their stage act, and the Beatles version was used in the film 'Beethoven' (the one about the dog)....but apart from the album it only appeared as a single for the fab four as a small hit in Canada; Chuck's original was No. 29 USA pop -No.2 R&B and was a certified million seller. It's true it wasn't a hit for CB in the UK -surprising with Mabellene/School Days/RnR Music/SW16 & Johhny B. all making the Top Ten.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:51 pm

I think you'll find that every Beatles album sold far more than a million, especially as this was on their current album ('Meet The Beatles') when Beatlemania erupted in the USA.
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:56 am

I thought it was a E.L.O song!
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:15 am

bailbath wrote:I thought it was a E.L.O song!

Exactly Ian!

I think it depends what generation the person is from. For instance I first heard 'Heartbeat' by Showaddywaddy (also 'Three Steps To Heaven' etc), yet people a little younger would associate the song with Nick Berry, 'The Locomotion' with Kylie Minogue, etc.

I agree that 'Roll Over Beethoven' isn't regarded as a "Beatles song" quite as much as some of their other covers though ('Twist & Shout', 'Money', 'Please Mr Postman', etc).
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:51 am

peterchecksfield wrote:

Exactly Ian!

I think it depends what generation the person is from. For instance I first heard 'Heartbeat' by Showaddywaddy (also 'Three Steps To Heaven' etc), yet people a little younger would associate the song with Nick Berry, 'The Locomotion' with Kylie Minogue, etc.

I agree that 'Roll Over Beethoven' isn't regarded as a "Beatles song" quite as much as some of their other covers though ('Twist & Shout', 'Money', 'Please Mr Postman', etc).

This was one of the main reason Rockers in the 1960s hated the British Mod groups like The Beatles. Mods of the day were discovering for the first time songs like 'Long Tall Sally', and I remember an argument in the musical press because they thought it was a Beatles' original, along with 'Honey Don't', 'Dizzy Miss Lizzy' and other rock'n'roll numbers.

As Rockers saw it at the time, the Mod groups were ruining American rock'n'roll songs and the Mod fans thought they were new songs. In retrospect it brought about a mini-revival of interest in the careers of rockers like Little Richard, Carl Perkins, Larry Williams, etc. who originally recorded these songs, culminating in Brian Epstein, manager of The Beatles, putting Fats Domino, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and possibly other rockers on at his Saville Theater in London.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby martin bates » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Tony Papard wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Exactly Ian!

This was one of the main reason Rockers in the 1960s hated the British Mod groups like The Beatles. Mods of the day were discovering for the first time songs like 'Long Tall Sally', and I remember an argument in the musical press because they thought it was a Beatles' original, along with 'Honey Don't', 'Dizzy Miss Lizzy' and other rock'n'roll numbers.

As Rockers saw it at the time, the Mod groups were ruining American rock'n'roll songs and the Mod fans thought they were new songs. In retrospect it brought about a mini-revival of interest in the careers of rockers like Little Richard, Carl Perkins, Larry Williams, etc. who originally recorded these songs, culminating in Brian Epstein, manager of The Beatles, putting Fats Domino, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and possibly other rockers on at his Saville Theater in London.

It probably depends how interested in the 'music' people at the time were; I was a young Beatles fan in the early sixties, & in all the mags & interviews etc they would always rave about Carl Perkins & the others; the Stones were the same with Muddy Waters/Howlin Wolf etc; I thought it great that Lennon-McCartney wrote their own songs -but was always aware that Honey Don't was Carl Perkins, or indeed that I Wanna Be Your Man was the Stones. Even the ELO version, fondly remembered here, was widely reported at the time as the 'old Chuck Berry song' . Those 60s groups did help with the renewed interest in the older artists; Later on people like Roy Wood (California Man) tended to do a kind of 50s thing, without really acknowledging it. Jeff Lynne (ELO) was in The Move with Wood, who also reworked classical music into songs like Night of Fear.For those who don't remember it (or care to), ELOs R.O.B began with a classical intro, rudely interrupted by the rousing guitar intro. ......a similar device was used in one of those JLL tribute singles ..."look what Jerry Lee done to me" - or whatever it's called.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:12 pm

martin bates wrote:It probably depends how interested in the 'music' people at the time were; I was a young Beatles fan in the early sixties, & in all the mags & interviews etc they would always rave about Carl Perkins & the others; the Stones were the same with Muddy Waters/Howlin Wolf etc; I thought it great that Lennon-McCartney wrote their own songs -but was always aware that Honey Don't was Carl Perkins, or indeed that I Wanna Be Your Man was the Stones. Even the ELO version, fondly remembered here, was widely reported at the time as the 'old Chuck Berry song' . Those 60s groups did help with the renewed interest in the older artists; Later on people like Roy Wood (California Man) tended to do a kind of 50s thing, without really acknowledging it. Jeff Lynne (ELO) was in The Move with Wood, who also reworked classical music into songs like Night of Fear.For those who don't remember it (or care to), ELOs R.O.B began with a classical intro, rudely interrupted by the rousing guitar intro. ......a similar device was used in one of those JLL tribute singles ..."look what Jerry Lee done to me" - or whatever it's called.
Martin.

Jerry goes on about Jimmie Rodgers & Al Jolson, but I wonder how many of their songs most JLL fans can name? Anyway we're getting very off-topic here.
peterchecksfield

Postby martin bates » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:18 pm

peterchecksfield wrote: Anyway we're getting very off-topic here.

agreed !!
martin bates

PreviousNext

Return to Archive