Southern Roots Session

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Perk wrote: I have troubles belivieing that the Smash/Mercury sessions were as short as they were. It simply must be a lot of outtakes out there from all sessions somewhere. Just look at the Caribous that has come into light in comparison, and this was probably were Jerry wasn´t even in a good shape to record.

There must be lots of stuff out there!!!

Perk

The difference with the Caribou sessions is that (as with often in the early Sun years or during the 1969 Country Music Hall of Fame sessions) he did songs that he mostly already knew. It's different when he (& the musicians) have to learn songs, & then they need to come up with suitable arrangements. Even with simple (but "new") songs such as 'Great Balls Of Fire', 'Breathless' & 'High School Confidential' he still needed two sessions & many takes before they got things right. So, I don't believe that there was much more recorded for Smash / Mercury.

There's no doubt though that Jerry did several private "demo" sessions in the 70s & later though.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:28 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote: I have troubles belivieing that the Smash/Mercury sessions were as short as they were. It simply must be a lot of outtakes out there from all sessions somewhere. Just look at the Caribous that has come into light in comparison, and this was probably were Jerry wasn´t even in a good shape to record.

There must be lots of stuff out there!!!

Perk

The difference with the Caribou sessions is that (as with often in the early Sun years or during the 1969 Country Music Hall of Fame sessions) he did songs that he mostly already knew. It's different when he (& the musicians) have to learn songs, & then they need to come up with suitable arrangements. Even with simple (but "new") songs such as 'Great Balls Of Fire', 'Breathless' & 'High School Confidential' he still needed two sessions & many takes before they got things right. So, I don't believe that there was much more recorded for Smash / Mercury.

There's no doubt though that Jerry did several private "demo" sessions in the 70s & later though.

Okay Peter, you have good points! But i still belivie there´s lots to be heard. Judging by all the rumours, and some has to be true.

One thing i know is true is Knox Philips marathon sessions with Jerry. That version of "Meat Man" i really want to be released!

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:46 pm

Another point: the Caribou Sessions were recorded over about 7 days. So, considering there were many old songs, he didn't really record that many songs.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:16 am

peterchecksfield wrote:Another point: the Caribou Sessions were recorded over about 7 days. So, considering there were many old songs, he didn't really record that many songs.

Compared to the "Killer Country" sessions that took three months. It´s really hard to say anything definate of what´s in the can. Even more difficult for the Smash/mercury sessions. I personally belivie more are in the can than most will belivie.

Have anyone noticed during the in-between chatter on Southern roots from the BF vinyl box, where Huey says that the tapes were destroyed for "Meat Mean" and others, perhaps this is a reason for the bad sound quality of the album? I´m thinking how can the extended Haunted House exist in such good quality?

I wish they could redo the whole album in sound as the extended Haunted House cut on BF!

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:49 am

Perk wrote:
Compared to the "Killer Country" sessions that took three months.

When people said "it took 3 months", they meant several sessions (perhaps 2 or 3) spread over 3 months, not 3 months non-stop recording! Look at Jerry's schedule for early-mid 1980 (when this was cut) & you'll see Jerry spent much of the time on the road. It's a bit like saying 'Last Man Standing' took 4 years to record: OK it's true in a way, but there were periods of many months when he didn't enter a studio.
peterchecksfield

Postby W_Skinner » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:08 am

Perk wrote:I wish they could redo the whole album in sound as the extended Haunted House cut on BF!

Perk

Yeah, that would be cool. Imagine a remastered CD, with the whole Southern Roots session in superb sound... I can dream :)
Despite some "remasters" around which just sound compressed and lifeless there are some really magic ones, too.
Tim Turan, for example, I consider one of the most competent people to do this. He did a fantastic job on remastering the 70s Status Quo albums.
Dunno if Huey Meaux is still available...
It won't happen or get released anyway ;)
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:15 am

W_Skinner wrote:Dunno if Huey Meaux is still available...

The last I heard was he went to prison (due to that age old southern custom of sex with underage girls...). :roll:
peterchecksfield

Postby jayhawks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:45 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
W_Skinner wrote:Dunno if Huey Meaux is still available...

The last I heard was he went to prison (due to that age old southern custom of sex with underage girls...). :roll:

...what a bastard!!

http://www.houstonpress.com/1996-02-22/ ... art-i/full

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/sdq_meaux.htm

http://bomplist.xnet2.com/9806/msg00795.html

i hope he rotts in hell...
jayhawks

Postby flip54 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:12 pm

1. Joe Jones (also covered by Frankie Ford)
2. Sir Douglas Quintet
3. Aaron Neville

all early to mid 60s US pop/r&b hits

Flip

Perk wrote:I wonder if those "still to be" heard songs were actually recorded at this session. Listed by BF as ..

1. You Talk Too Much ( i heard several do this, don´t know the original)
2. She´s About A Mover (Doug Sahm)
3. Tell It Like It is (?)

Perk

flip54

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:27 pm

jayhawks wrote:
i hope he rotts in hell...

All Over Hell & Half Of Georgia...

*I said the same comment yesterday & it was deleted!!! What's the problem with some of the idiot censors on here?!
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:57 pm

flip54 wrote:1. Joe Jones (also covered by Frankie Ford)
2. Sir Douglas Quintet
3. Aaron Neville

all early to mid 60s US pop/r&b hits

Flip

Perk wrote:I wonder if those "still to be" heard songs were actually recorded at this session. Listed by BF as ..

1. You Talk Too Much ( i heard several do this, don´t know the original)
2. She´s About A Mover (Doug Sahm)
3. Tell It Like It is (?)

Perk

Thank you Flipster!!! The first song i think i have heard the wrong song before. I thought it was the same one done by George Thorogood. But i just discovered it´s George´s own song. Will try to check out these originals.

Perk
Perk

Postby ChrisdeB » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:08 am

I really liked the Southern Roots album/sessions. It is one of my frequently played cds. It has some superb backing muscians. I like all the tracks on the album. I love the sessions tapes that are on the BF box cd set, The extended versions of haunted House are amazing. I think this is uiet an underatted cd in the Killer's catalouge.
ChrisdeB

Re: Southern Roots Session

Postby thrund » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:01 pm

flip54 wrote:Try buying the BF box set and read the book therein

Phil

W_Skinner wrote:Hi Folks,
I happened to read the online version of Jimmy Guterman's JLL-book "Rockin' My Life Away" at his page (guterman.com).

The lines about the "Southern Roots" album were pretty interesting.
"Musicians, family members, delivery men, ex-girlfriends, and people just off the street wandered around, pushed engineers out of the way, and slept on the floor."
Hehe, sounds like party time :D

I like this unique LP very much, so especially the following words caught my eye:
another album's worth of first-rank tunes were cut at the Southern Roots sessions.

What tunes is he speaking of? Who does know more or where can I read
more about this session?

Tracks

Meat Man / M 73462 (03/74)
When A Man Loves A Woman / SRM1-690 + BFX 15229
Hold On I'm Coming /SRM1-690 (slow version) + BFX 15229 (fast version)
Just A Little Bit / M 73462 (03/74)
Born To Be A Loser / SRM1-690
Haunted House / SRM1-690 + BFX 15229 (full version)
Blueberry Hill / SRM1-690
The Revolutionary Man / SRM 1-690
Big Blue Diamonds /SRM 1-690 + BFX 15229
That Old Bourbon Street Church / SRM 1-690
Honey Hush / BFX 15229
All Over Hell And Half Of Georgia / BFX 15229
I Sure Miss Those Good Old Time / BFX 15229
Cry / BFX 15229
Raining In My Heart / BFX 15229
Margie / BFX 15229
Silver Threads Among The Gold / BFX 15229
Take Your Time / BFX 15229
She's About A Mover
Tell It Like It Is
You Talk To Much

all BFX 15229 = re-released on BCD 15784 / CD 5 & 6 (2000)

That's all what I know, hope it's right.
thrund

Postby W_Skinner » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:14 pm

Thank you very much, tolazytodie :)

That's a lot more songs than on the orginal album.
Hmm, seems like 3 songs are omitted on the "complete" bearfamily boxset, pity :cry:
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Postby Tommy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:42 pm

Well I have to say that it is four songs on this record that is one of his best! I´ve already mentioned Revolutionary man, and Meat man, Just a little bit(the best intro) and Hold on I´m coming!
Tommy

PreviousNext

Return to Archive