Southern Roots Session

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:45 am

W_Skinner wrote:Hmm, seems like 3 songs are omitted on the "complete" bearfamily boxset, pity :cry:

That's because they may not even have been properly recorded, & if they were the tapes are lost.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:45 pm

Tommy wrote:Well I have to say that it is four songs on this record that is one of his best! I´ve already mentioned Revolutionary man, and Meat man, Just a little bit(the best intro) and Hold on I´m coming!

I agree especially on 'Just A Little Bit'. This i heard being played on swedish radio many times long before i even knew the existense of this album. I was puzzled to where this song came from. I think it was played often because there was a radio host who was a soul music lover & expert. He dug this song so it came on often when he was the host. It remains one of my favourites!

Perk
Perk

Postby bailbath » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:50 am

Perk wrote:
Tommy wrote:Well I have to say that it is four songs on this record that is one of his best! I´ve already mentioned Revolutionary man, and Meat man, Just a little bit(the best intro) and Hold on I´m coming!

I agree especially on 'Just A Little Bit'. This i heard being played on swedish radio many times long before i even knew the existense of this album. I was puzzled to where this song came from. I think it was played often because there was a radio host who was a soul music lover & expert. He dug this song so it came on often when he was the host. It remains one of my favourites!

Perk

I can remember asking for this song at a one of the JLL conventions I went to in Wales.The guy who was doing the dj bit couldn't remember which album it was on and my mind went blank for 20 seconds before I remembered!!
It sounded real good loud in the that big room.
It's not that often we get a chance like those conventions to play wall to wall JLL.
IAN
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Tommy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:15 pm

You can the song in this clip that I´ve already posted in Grammy awards 2008 thread:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RPg4m-GO_hs

Has Jerry ever played it live?
Tommy

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:48 pm

Tommy wrote:You can the song in this clip that I´ve already posted in Grammy awards 2008 thread:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RPg4m-GO_hs

Has Jerry ever played it live?

'Just A Little Bit' was performed live many times during the late 70s (& occasionally later, such as Dublin '93), usually as part of a rock medley or a medley with WLSGO. The song can be seen during the long medley he taped at the 'Rock & Roll Reunion' TV special in New York '78.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:56 pm

Thank you Peter!
I sure think the song deserves more space than in a medley!
Tommy

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:26 am

I guerss i'm in the minority because I love the girl background singers and think the Bear Family boys botched the mixes on the bonus tracks - partivcularly on Haunted House. The horns are way up front and fat on the original ten Huey P. mixed and practically non-existent on the BF produced tracks.

When I hear this session, with the horns and soul sister background singers, I realize how big an influence JLL had on US Southern rock. Bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels, the Allman Brothers and others all featured piano, and Skynyrd combined piano, horns and the soul sister styled singers along with their trademark guitars.

Meat Man, Haunted House, Honey Hush among others, all could have appeared on a Skynyrd album.
Tim in St. Louis

Previous

Return to Archive