Southern Roots Session

Southern Roots Session

Postby W_Skinner » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi Folks,
I happened to read the online version of Jimmy Guterman's JLL-book "Rockin' My Life Away" at his page (guterman.com).

The lines about the "Southern Roots" album were pretty interesting.
"Musicians, family members, delivery men, ex-girlfriends, and people just off the street wandered around, pushed engineers out of the way, and slept on the floor."
Hehe, sounds like party time :D

I like this unique LP very much, so especially the following words caught my eye:
another album's worth of first-rank tunes were cut at the Southern Roots sessions.

What tunes is he speaking of? Who does know more or where can I read
more about this session?
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Re: Southern Roots Session

Postby flip54 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:58 am

Try buying the BF box set and read the book therein

Phil

W_Skinner wrote:Hi Folks,
I happened to read the online version of Jimmy Guterman's JLL-book "Rockin' My Life Away" at his page (guterman.com).

The lines about the "Southern Roots" album were pretty interesting.
"Musicians, family members, delivery men, ex-girlfriends, and people just off the street wandered around, pushed engineers out of the way, and slept on the floor."
Hehe, sounds like party time :D

I like this unique LP very much, so especially the following words caught my eye:
another album's worth of first-rank tunes were cut at the Southern Roots sessions.

more about this session?
flip54

Postby Perk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:34 pm

more about this session?

I just read it too, and i belivie as he mentions the late 80´s he is talking about the unreleased songs that first came out on the BF box, like Cry, Margie etc. I think those outtakes as Raining In My Heart or the extended Haunted House has much better sound than the original album had. I wish they could get all of the songs out in that quality.

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:40 pm

I certainly think the original album could've been much better if they'd chose some different songs. 'When A Man Loves A Woman', 'Revolutionary Man' & 'Blueberry Hill' are probably the weakest things from those sessions ('Cry, 'Raining In My Heart' & 'Honey Hush' would've been much better choices).
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:45 am

Oh my! Thank god that there´s a split taste in this world! I personally hold revolutionary man as one of Jerrys best songs ever!!

I do think you´re right about the other ones but Big blue diamond isn´t a highlight to me.
Tommy

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am

Tommy wrote:Oh my! Thank god that there´s a split taste in this world! I personally hold revolutionary man as one of Jerrys best songs ever!!

Jerry performs it well & it's a pretty good song, but I cringe every time I hear those backing vocalists sing "Jerry is a rebel, a revolutionary man"... :oops:
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:39 pm

Well THAT I have to admit. Not so very revolutionary :lol:
Tommy

Postby Perk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:10 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tommy wrote:Oh my! Thank god that there´s a split taste in this world! I personally hold revolutionary man as one of Jerrys best songs ever!!

Jerry performs it well & it's a pretty good song, but I cringe every time I hear those backing vocalists sing "Jerry is a rebel, a revolutionary man"... :oops:

I don´t mean to be straight right across here, but the backing vocals on this song i like as much as those on Rockin Jerry Lee on Elektra :)

Normally i don´t like backing vocals at all, but on these two they somehow become part of the song itself. Here they go "Jerry is a rebel" and for the other "Rock, Rockin Jerry Lee". I like this! With many other backing vocals it´s just repeating of the chorus in the back, or goes "la la" style, or well you all know the drill.

Perk
Perk

Postby W_Skinner » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Yep, I gotta agree with Perk.

Revolutionary Man is one of my favourites :)
I love that whole "Southern Roots"-LP's production.
Well, Huey Meaux should have produced more JLL-LPs.
He seems to know how to let it rock :)
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Postby Perk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:50 pm

W_Skinner wrote:Yep, I gotta agree with Perk.

Revolutionary Man is one of my favourites :)
I love that whole "Southern Roots"-LP's production.
Well, Huey Meaux should have produced more JLL-LPs.
He seems to know how to let it rock :)

I have the orginal vinyl of Southern Roots. I also had a french pressing of the same. Also have the Bear Family vinyl box. Also the cd box from BF. But none of them beats the sound of this song from this "best of" album called simply "Jerry Lee Lewis Vol 2" on Impact records. All the others sounds a bit distorted, but not this one!!!

I agree it´s a great album, i just wished the sound would be improved a little (as it apparently can be) for a new release.

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:52 pm

I tend to prefer the less obtrusive 'Nashville Sound' backing singers to the more dominant 'Memphis Soul' vocalists (it's the same with Elvis, I think they ruin much of those otherwise superb 1969 recordings). There are exceptions though: 'Your Lovin' Ways' is almost a duet (with a very loud female vocalist), & it's a real favourite of mine! :D
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:04 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I tend to prefer the less obtrusive 'Nashville Sound' backing singers to the more dominant 'Memphis Soul' vocalists (it's the same with Elvis, I think they ruin much of those otherwise superb 1969 recordings). There are exceptions though: 'Your Lovin' Ways' is almost a duet (with a very loud female vocalist), & it's a real favourite of mine! :D

There you mention a song i like too! This "Your Lovin Ways" really requires backing vocals! Hard to imagine this one without it!!! Have to put it on right now!

Perk
Perk

Postby Perk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:22 pm

I wonder if those "still to be" heard songs were actually recorded at this session. Listed by BF as ..

1. You Talk Too Much ( i heard several do this, don´t know the original)
2. She´s About A Mover (Doug Sahm)
3. Tell It Like It is (?)

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:26 pm

Perk wrote:I wonder if those "still to be" heard songs were actually recorded at this session. Listed by BF as ..

Perk

It's possible that Jerry just did quick run throughs but not proper takes of course, perhaps without the tapes running. Kenny Lovelace recalls Jerry attempting 'In The Midnight Hour' at the 'Soul My Way' sessions, but he apparantly never recorded a proper take - unfortunately! :?
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:03 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:I wonder if those "still to be" heard songs were actually recorded at this session. Listed by BF as ..

Perk

It's possible that Jerry just did quick run throughs but not proper takes of course, perhaps without the tapes running. Kenny Lovelace recalls Jerry attempting 'In The Midnight Hour' at the 'Soul My Way' sessions, but he apparantly never recorded a proper take - unfortunately! :?

I never heard that before about this song "Midnight Hour", thanks Peter! I have troubles belivieing that the Smash/Mercury sessions were as short as they were. It simply must be a lot of outtakes out there from all sessions somewhere. Just look at the Caribous that has come into light in comparison, and this was probably were Jerry wasn´t even in a good shape to record.

There must be lots of stuff out there!!!

Perk
Perk

Next

Return to Archive