Best Gospel Song



Postby bailbath » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:32 pm

I love '13 at the table'. The vocal is outstanding the overall 'feel' of the song just gives me goosebumps. You can hear the feeling in Jerry's vocal on this song and it makes you realize how important that part of his life is to him.
IAN
bailbath

User avatar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2667
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Bath, uk

Postby ChrisdeB » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:52 pm

Perk wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:I Can't Feel At Home In This World Anymore on the March 15, 1987 Newport Music Hall Columbus, Ohio
2nd show Is really good as well


Actually he performs this song on the 2nd show. Have you found the first show somewhere? Let us know!

http://www.topfreeforum.com/jerryleelew ... ryleelewis

Perk


The recording I as talking about as from the 2nd show
ChrisdeB

 
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:17 am

Postby Perk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:58 pm

ChrisdeB wrote:
Perk wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:I Can't Feel At Home In This World Anymore on the March 15, 1987 Newport Music Hall Columbus, Ohio
2nd show Is really good as well


Actually he performs this song on the 2nd show. Have you found the first show somewhere? Let us know!

http://www.topfreeforum.com/jerryleelew ... ryleelewis

Perk


The recording I as talking about as from the 2nd show


How do you know that? Then let us know where to get the first show!

Perk
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Postby ChrisdeB » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:15 pm

Perk wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:
Perk wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:I Can't Feel At Home In This World Anymore on the March 15, 1987 Newport Music Hall Columbus, Ohio
2nd show Is really good as well


Actually he performs this song on the 2nd show. Have you found the first show somewhere? Let us know!

http://www.topfreeforum.com/jerryleelew ... ryleelewis

Perk


The recording I as talking about as from the 2nd show


How do you know that? Then let us know where to get the first show!

Perk


No idea where the 1st show is:

http://www.topfreeforum.com/jerryleelew ... ryleelewis
ChrisdeB

 
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:17 am

Postby Perk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:33 pm

ChrisdeB wrote:
Perk wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:
Perk wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:I Can't Feel At Home In This World Anymore on the March 15, 1987 Newport Music Hall Columbus, Ohio
2nd show Is really good as well


Actually he performs this song on the 2nd show. Have you found the first show somewhere? Let us know!

http://www.topfreeforum.com/jerryleelew ... ryleelewis

Perk


The recording I as talking about as from the 2nd show


How do you know that? Then let us know where to get the first show!

Perk


No idea where the 1st show is:

http://www.topfreeforum.com/jerryleelew ... ryleelewis



Why did you refer to it then?

Perk
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Postby ChrisdeB » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:59 pm

I did not refer to it at all
ChrisdeB

 
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:17 am

Postby Perk » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:17 am

Okay, there´s some mixed up confusion done by me here :) I somehow thought you had both shows. It ain´t easy to keep track of everything.

Anyway here´s why i think it´s the 2nd show. The guy who made this Ohio 87 recording also included scans of his ticket, the poster, and a newspaper review of the show.

1. The poster says there was 2 shows, at 7pm & 10pm.
2. His ticket says he went to the 10pm show.
3. The newspaper review lists different songs than the recording he did.

Conclusion = it´s the 2nd show

...back to the Gospel song subject 8)

Perk
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Postby bailbath » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:34 am

Yes Perk lets get back to the subject thread!!
'How great thou are' from 1984 I think Worcestor Massachusetts USA
I did have it on a cassette tape which I can't find but if my memory serves me the date and place is right.A great version from a great concert!
IAN
bailbath

User avatar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2667
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Bath, uk

Postby Perk » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:41 am

bailbath wrote:Yes Perk lets get back to the subject thread!!
'How great thou are' from 1984 I think Worcestor Massachusetts USA
I did have it on a cassette tape which I can't find but if my memory serves me the date and place is right.A great version from a great concert!
IAN


That song is actually originally swedish, it´s called "O Store Gud". I just thought i mention it :)

What do you all think of Jerry´s SUN recording of "When The Saints Go Marching In"? I recall that on Swedish radio they had some rules about which songs that shouldn´t be played. Simply because they had been played too often, and this one was on the list (not specifically Jerry´s version, just the song). All this was talked about on a radio show, but they said they had to break the rules and play Jerry´s SUN version. I think it´s a great one!

Perk
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Postby bailbath » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:08 pm

You are right about that Perk great version that transcends the songs origins!
IAN
bailbath

User avatar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2667
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Bath, uk

Hilarious and rockin' funerals

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:28 pm

Years ago I made a cassette tape for my funeral, and it consists of the following three Jerry Lee numbers:

Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow (instrumental version)
If We Never Meet Again/I'll Meet You In The Morning
I'll Fly Away

Last two from the the gospel album he released in the early 1970s.

These aren't necessarily my favorite gospel songs, just the numebrs I felt most appropriate.

I ain't planning on 'flying away' just yet though.

About a year ago some of us went to Rick Hardy's funeral. He was a great guy who played down the famous 2I's Coffee Bar in Soho in the 1950s as Rick Richards and his Skiffle Group. (In fact Cliff Richard, real name Harry Webb, got the idea of his stage name from 'Rick Richards').

His humanist funeral became quite hilarious when we all sung Rick's composition 'Sling Yer 'Ook', all in Cockney riming slang, as the woman conducting the ceremony tried to keep a straight face.

The most memorable lines, which we sung with gusto, go:

'Get lorst, yer a dirty old sod
And keep yer mince pies orf me Bristols!'

(Minces/mince pies - eyes, Bristols/Bristol cities - titties) :P
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

User avatar
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: London, England, EU

Re: Best Gospel Song

Postby lucasjenke » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:47 pm

In my opinion there are a few Gospel sings I like

Live´s Railroad to heaven ( London 1983 version. So much feeling in it )
On the Jericho Road
This world is not my home
MY god is real
I´ll fly away


I would love to hear Jerry doing a pure Gospel album today cause that´s music he allways loved and he would do it with passion and fun

What do you think abut a Gospel album of him these days?
lucasjenke

 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:55 pm
Location: Kleve, Germany

Re: Best Gospel Song

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:44 pm

I've always thought his cousin, Jimmy Swaggart, with his own Family Worship Center including TV and radio station and record label, should invite Jerry (and the rest of the talented family) to record a gospel album together. Swaggart sells loads of gospel recordings, and according to Mickey Gilley, has made more money than Jerry Lee and Mickey Gilley put together.

I find it quite incredible this talented family have never got together (including Linda Gail and her daughters, also Phoebe) to record an album, and Jimmy with his own record label is the obvious one to arrange a gospel album by the family.

Meanwhile, of course, Bear Family have released the Church Recordings by Jerry Lee (recorded in the early 1970s) on CD. This is an excellent recording of gospel material.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

User avatar
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: London, England, EU

Previous

Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron