Best Gospel Song

Best Gospel Song

Postby Andrew McRae » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:52 pm

Okay, we've had 'best country' and 'best blues' - so how about the next obvious category - gospel.

My vote goes for "Softly & Tenderly" from "Four Legends" on record, though if it's down to live performance then I have to recall that memorable "Old Rugged Cross" at the conclusion of the Rainbow '77 show.
Andrew McRae

Re: Best Gospel Song

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:05 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:Okay, we've had 'best country' and 'best blues' - so how about the next obvious category - gospel.

My vote goes for "Softly & Tenderly" from "Four Legends" on record, though if it's down to live performance then I have to recall that memorable "Old Rugged Cross" at the conclusion of the Rainbow '77 show.

Another very moving one is 'Will The Circle Be Unbroken' from Wembley 1990, where he says: 'I hate to see the best friend Jerry Lee Lewis ever had have to go', talking about his mother of course.

Several of the gospel songs on Caribou Sessions are also very moving - such as 'Sawdust Trail' where he talks about his mother watching him being 'saved' - 'though I haven't lived it' he says.

And 'Just A Closer Walk With Thee' - 'when Jerry Lee's feeble life is over I'll be safely carried o'er to thy shore' - that line brings tears to my eyes.

And also 'In The Garden' from the same sessions ('I'm talking about Heaven, brother!'), and also on Austin City Limits. You don't have to be religious to be moved by these songs sung from the heart.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Richard Harvey » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Tony Papard wrote:You don't have to be religious to be moved by these songs sung from the heart.

It's so difficult for me to get into his gospel stuff. Even Elvis' gospel songs are the least visited in my Elvis collection. I'm sure I'm missing out on some great music, but it just won't klick with me.
I'm doomed for the fiery ever after I reckon!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:31 pm

Well 'I'll fly away' of course! I especially like the duet with Little Richard on the TV-program "Salute"! I also like 'Lovelight' from the album I don't know the name of. Not a typical Jerry Lee song though. He sings it in really high tunes.
Tommy

Postby howard » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:54 pm

All the songs mentioned are good ones, I also like " Handwriting on the wall" thats a good knee slapping toe tapping song.... Howard, who's on his way for a pint of the local Amber Valley beers.... slurp :lol:
howard

Postby Piet » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Without a doubt "In loving memories"

Piet
Piet

Postby Akiller » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:23 pm

[quote="Andrew McRae"]Okay, we've had 'best country' and 'best blues' - so how about the next obvious category - gospel.

Hallelujah: When The Saints Go Marchin´In (recording year?),
]
Old Black Joe
Akiller

Postby ChrisdeB » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:59 pm

I liked the "Old Rugged Cross" at the Rainbow Show
ChrisdeB

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:50 pm

'He Looked Beyond My Fault' & 'Lily Of The Valley' in Amsterdam '72 (from Mule bootleg LP)...I didn't hear the studio versions until later, & I was dissapointed with them in comparison with the more passionate live versions.
peterchecksfield

Postby Alvin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Lookin' for a Rock and I'll Fly Away from Rainbow 77 are fantastic.

Also love the Survivors Circle and Peace in the Valley.
Alvin

Postby Piet » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Alvin wrote:Lookin' for a Rock and I'll Fly Away from Rainbow 77 are fantastic.

I thought you would go for.....Alvin :idea:
Piet

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Piet wrote:
Alvin wrote:Lookin' for a Rock and I'll Fly Away from Rainbow 77 are fantastic.

I thought you would go for.....Alvin :idea:

I didn't think people are allowed to use false names on here now (unless Alvin is your real name)...

13. Do not astroturf or pretend to be/represent somebody else.
peterchecksfield

Postby ChrisdeB » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:44 am

I Can't Feel At Home In This World Anymore on the March 15, 1987 Newport Music Hall Columbus, Ohio
2nd show Is really good as well
ChrisdeB

Postby Perk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:06 pm

ChrisdeB wrote:I Can't Feel At Home In This World Anymore on the March 15, 1987 Newport Music Hall Columbus, Ohio

Actually he performs this song on the 2nd show. Have you found the first show somewhere? Let us know!

http://www.topfreeforum.com/jerryleelew ... ryleelewis

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:30 pm

ChrisdeB wrote:I Can't Feel At Home In This World Anymore on the March 15, 1987 Newport Music Hall Columbus, Ohio

According to the 'Kerrie Live - Praising Our King' official video the correct title is 'This World Is Not My Home'.
peterchecksfield

Next

Return to Archive