Best Country song

Best Country song

Postby Piet » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:29 pm

I like to ask what your favorit Jerry Lee country song is. Mine is the one I asked for in Brussels and he played my request in the first part of his show "Another place, another time"

Piet
Piet

Re: Best Country song

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:31 pm

Piet wrote:I like to ask what your favorit Jerry Lee country song is. Mine is the one I asked for in Brussels and he played my request in the first part of his show "Another place, another time"

Piet

I love 'On The Back Row', one of my all-time favourite performances by anyone.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tumppi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:35 pm

There are many of them. This time my favorite is "Closest Thing To You" from Country Class. I have always liked also "What's So Good About Goodbye" from Country Memories and "Ole Pal of Yesterday". And many many more, those came to my mind first of all.
Tumppi

Re: Best Country song

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:56 pm

Piet wrote:I like to ask what your favorit Jerry Lee country song is. Mine is the one I asked for in Brussels and he played my request in the first part of his show "Another place, another time"

Piet

That's a difficult one, so many to choose from. 'Ivory Tears' would be one of my all-time favorites, it gets to the heart of Jerry Lee.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby ChrisdeB » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:01 pm

What Made Milwalkee famous (excuse the spelling)
ChrisdeB

Postby Perk » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 am

Bottles and Barstools, She Still Comes Around, I´d Do It All Again, is a couple of ones i like.

Perk 8)
Perk

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:08 am

It's almost impossible to choose from an 'A'-list of perhaps fifty-plus songs, but whenever I start to think that one day I might be famous and be invited to appear on 'Desert Island Discs', then I always keep coming back to "She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye"
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:40 am

Andrew McRae wrote:It's almost impossible to choose from an 'A'-list of perhaps fifty-plus songs, but whenever I start to think that one day I might be famous and be invited to appear on 'Desert Island Discs', then I always keep coming back to "She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye"

Particularly the version from 'The Ed Sullivan Show' (live version with strings!).

A neglected (by Jerry) gem is 'She Still Comes Around'.

A couple of favourite pre-1968 recordings are 'I Know What It Means' & If I Had It All To Do Over', & another later one is 'No Traffic Out Of Abilene'.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:32 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Andrew McRae wrote:It's almost impossible to choose from an 'A'-list of perhaps fifty-plus songs, but whenever I start to think that one day I might be famous and be invited to appear on 'Desert Island Discs', then I always keep coming back to "She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye"

Particularly the version from 'The Ed Sullivan Show' (live version with strings!).

A neglected (by Jerry) gem is 'She Still Comes Around'.

A couple of favourite pre-1968 recordings are 'I Know What It Means' & If I Had It All To Do Over', & another later one is 'No Traffic Out Of Abilene'.

Another absolutely brilliant pre-1968 Country recording, supposedly penned by Jerry Lee himself, is 'Oh What A Heck Of A Mess'.

In the late 1960s/early 1970s I was on a Phones Course at Post Office Overseas Telegraphs. We were encourged to bring in records to type to (we were learning to take down telegrams over the phone, and had to type as fast as people speak).

I brought in 'Star-Club, Hamburg' album by Jerry Lee, and the instructor and some others liked it. She said rock'n'roll was very good music to learn to type to. But some walked out, finding it too noisy!!!

A day or so later I brought in an album which included Oh What A Heck Of A Mess (must have been the French special edition, with Pierre Pennone's fan club address on the sleeve). As soon as he heard this track, the one who had led the walk-out for Star-Club said it was fantastic, one of the best songs he'd ever heard.

So I was winning, and losing, a few Jerry Lee fans right back then. This is why I wish his Country stuff had more exposure over here in Europe.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Tony Papard wrote:Another absolutely brilliant pre-1968 Country recording, supposedly penned by Jerry Lee himself, is 'Oh What A Heck Of A Mess'.

As with 'He Took It Like A Man' & 'Lincoln Limousine', I find it impossible to image Jerry writing this, & assume it was really Cecil. But I agree, it's a great song.

I wonder if Cecil still writes? Would be fantastic to have an album of mostly new songs again...
peterchecksfield

Postby rockin532000 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:29 pm

This is really tough call to make. I fully agree with the songs which have been named before. The only exception being "Bottles and Barstools" which is not one of my favourites.

I guess it would almost be easier to name the worst country song(s) Jerry ever recorded. At least my list on this one would be much, much smaller.

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:46 pm

rockin532000 wrote:This is really tough call to make. I fully agree with the songs which have been named before. The only exception being "Bottles and Barstools" which is not one of my favourites.

I guess it would almost be easier to name the worst country song(s) Jerry ever recorded. At least my list on this one would be much, much smaller.

Best Wishes
Joerg

Perhaps the worst ones would be those with really bitter lyrics like 'I Hate You'. But one of my favorite 'worst' songs by Jerry Lee is 'Thanks For Nothing'. I think the lyrics are brilliant! 'Thanks for nothing, darling, that's all you've ever given me' 'Thanks for all the pain and misery' etc. I love it!

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Another candidate - Green Green Grass of Home

Arguably the most influential of all JLL's 'country' recordings; not least because, whilst it failed to provide JLL himself with a hit, it nonetheless presaged his own resurgence in '68 and, in the meantime, effectively 'made' a hugely succesful career for a certain fan...

It's always been one of my personal favourites, a consummate performance on record, and a song which thrilled me the first time I heard him sing it live...
Andrew McRae

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Except the songs you already mentioned I really like his cover Twilight and The pilgrim from LMS. That kind of fool and Who will the next fool be is also one of my favourites.
Tommy

Postby jarireinikka » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:32 pm

...possibly the earliest JLL non-Sun country song I ever Heard was Detroit City and it still gives me shivers,a real classic...
jarireinikka

Next

Return to Archive