The first JLL Video / CD / DVD?



Postby peter molecz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:02 pm

jarireinikka wrote:Rock and Roll with Jerry Lee Rare Sound 1114...


The very first bootleg was the source for Rare Sound 1114:

Radio Programme produced by Cees Klop Rockville Records R-EP 101
from the mid sixties
Peter
peter molecz

 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:35 am

Re: The first JLL Video / CD / DVD?

Postby peter molecz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:I think everyone on here must know what Jerry's first single & album were, but what were the first:

(a) Official Home Video?

(b) CD?

(c) DVD?


And what about the first official cassette / 8-track / reel-to-reel? :shock:


Good question! To which I certainly don't have a definitive answer! I've never seen a reel-to-reel of "The Golden Hits" (or "The Golden Rock Hits") which has always surprised me. So the 'earliest' I have is "The Greatest Live Show On Earth". (Pre-supposing it is contemporaneous with the initial LP release). The next album to be issued on Ampex appears to have been "Soul My Way" - or does anyone know different? After that, it seems to be a bit patchy, I don't think all the subsequent Smash-Mercury LPs were issued in this format, and the last one appears to have been "The Session".

I haven't come across an 8-track earlier than "She Still Comes Around" but I can't say that one doesn't exist, though I doubt it (and it wouldn't be any earlier than 67 when Ford made 8-tracks an option across their entire range of cars). There was also a series of issues of 'continuous play 4 track cartridges' just to confuse matters but this format was short-lived! All of JLL's Smash- Mercury albums from 1969 to 1973 were probably issued in 8-track cartridge formats. Thereafter, I'm not sure.

As for musicassettes, I think we have to turn to the UK or Europe to find the earliest examples, as this format wasn't really popular in the US until much later, perhaps from the early 80s onwards, with the introduction of the Sony Walkman and other personal stereos. The oldest musicassettes I have are probably the French and UK issues of "The Return of Rock" and these were perhaps amongst the first examples when Philips introduced the format in late 65/early 66, though they may have been a little later than that.

Andrew

PS I'm still looking out for an early wax cylinder!


8 tracks...
Have the Golden Hits Of on 8 track SC-8 67040, also All Country and Another Place another Time and nearly all after this - but missing the others.
Peter
peter molecz

 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:35 am

Re: The first JLL Video / CD / DVD?

Postby peter molecz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:I think everyone on here must know what Jerry's first single & album were, but what were the first:

(a) Official Home Video?

(b) CD?

(c) DVD?


And what about the first official cassette / 8-track / reel-to-reel? :shock:


Good question! To which I certainly don't have a definitive answer! I've never seen a reel-to-reel of "The Golden Hits" (or "The Golden Rock Hits") which has always surprised me. So the 'earliest' I have is "The Greatest Live Show On Earth". (Pre-supposing it is contemporaneous with the initial LP release). The next album to be issued on Ampex appears to have been "Soul My Way" - or does anyone know different? After that, it seems to be a bit patchy, I don't think all the subsequent Smash-Mercury LPs were issued in this format, and the last one appears to have been "The Session".

I haven't come across an 8-track earlier than "She Still Comes Around" but I can't say that one doesn't exist, though I doubt it (and it wouldn't be any earlier than 67 when Ford made 8-tracks an option across their entire range of cars). There was also a series of issues of 'continuous play 4 track cartridges' just to confuse matters but this format was short-lived! All of JLL's Smash- Mercury albums from 1969 to 1973 were probably issued in 8-track cartridge formats. Thereafter, I'm not sure.

As for musicassettes, I think we have to turn to the UK or Europe to find the earliest examples, as this format wasn't really popular in the US until much later, perhaps from the early 80s onwards, with the introduction of the Sony Walkman and other personal stereos. The oldest musicassettes I have are probably the French and UK issues of "The Return of Rock" and these were perhaps amongst the first examples when Philips introduced the format in late 65/early 66, though they may have been a little later than that.

Andrew

PS I'm still looking out for an early wax cylinder!


Have checked it more carefully:
The Golden Hits Of Jerry Lee Lewis on 8 track is from the Canadian rerelease with red (?) panel on front cover , also All Country was released later - so Another Place Another Time could be the first 8 track release
Peter
peter molecz

 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:35 am

Postby jarireinikka » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:58 pm

The very first bootleg was the source for Rare Sound 1114:

Radio Programme produced by Cees Klop Rockville Records R-EP 101
from the mid sixties
Peter


I think this was already mentioned on page 1 on this thread
jarireinikka

 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:12 am
Location: tuusula,finland

Postby peter molecz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:52 pm

jarireinikka wrote:
The very first bootleg was the source for Rare Sound 1114:

Radio Programme produced by Cees Klop Rockville Records R-EP 101
from the mid sixties
Peter


I think this was already mentioned on page 1 on this thread

sorry, you are right
Peter
peter molecz

 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:35 am

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
hussein_maloof wrote:PD. Back on topic, "The Session" CD, with only 14 tracks, says 1990... maybe it was the first CD...

PD2. Or maybe, the GBOF soundtrack from 1989???


No, we've already covered this. The first CD was either the ("West")German, 14-track, pressing of "The Session" (the only date on my copy, however, appears to be the original P-1973) or Charly's first, "Ferriday Fireball", both of which date from early 1986. Which, as you'll well know, was also issued in Mexico, but, praise be, as 'one and a half' LPs!

There are at least a dozen CDs in my collection that predate the GBoF soundtrack and what appears to be a later pressing of The Session that you mention. Some of the more significant are "30th Anniversary Album" on Mercury, "The Golden Rock Hits" (which I recall buying in San Francisco in 1987) and the first Charly box-set.

Andrew


Another very early JLL CD, again from 1986, was the lamentable "20 Classic Hits" issued on the "Original Sound" label by Art Laboe, the LA DJ who for decades produced the "Oldies But Goodies" series of LPs (and who was recently pictured, with JLL in 1958, elsewhere on this Forum).

Art explained in the accompanying liner notes how he wanted "to release a very special collection of Jerry Lee classics.... containing original hit recordings". What he actually delivered was a horrible CD littered with some of the most crass overdubbing of inappropriate instrumentation you can imagine! Even "Duets" with Orion wasn't this bad. It's real 'scarecrow' material - I don't mean hang out the CD on a piece of string, rather just play it and it would kill anything stone-dead. Sadly, it still appears to be in catalogue and innocent people new to JLL's Sun recordings may still be buying it and being put off for life!

Andrew
Andrew McRae

User avatar
 
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Postby bluesinc. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:Another very early JLL CD, again from 1986, was the lamentable "20 Classic Hits" issued on the "Original Sound" label by Art Laboe, the LA DJ who for decades produced the "Oldies But Goodies" series of LPs (and who was recently pictured, with JLL in 1958, elsewhere on this Forum).

Art explained in the accompanying liner notes how he wanted "to release a very special collection of Jerry Lee classics.... containing original hit recordings". What he actually delivered was a horrible CD littered with some of the most crass overdubbing of inappropriate instrumentation you can imagine! Even "Duets" with Orion wasn't this bad. It's real 'scarecrow' material - I don't mean hang out the CD on a piece of string, rather just play it and it would kill anything stone-dead. Sadly, it still appears to be in catalogue and innocent people new to JLL's Sun recordings may still be buying it and being put off for life!

Andrew


never heard this, sound interesting if it´s THAT awful
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: Wien

Postby jarireinikka » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:38 pm

^^ Were those similar overdubbings that I sent you few years ago with Rusty & Doug cajun fiddle and other horrible stuff added to few tracks on that Portuguese "Pop Legends"-cd?
jarireinikka

 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:12 am
Location: tuusula,finland

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:45 pm

jarireinikka wrote:^^ Were those similar overdubbings that I sent you few years ago with Rusty & Doug cajun fiddle and other horrible stuff added to few tracks on that Portuguese "Pop Legends"-cd?


Yes, I guess so. (Though I can't remember the Portugese CD! My memory..!) Particularly dreadful guitar added to "Drinkin' Wine Spo-dee-o-dee", "Jailhouse Rock" and others. Unfortunately these adulterated tracks have cropped up on other Sun re-issues, including one of the "Collectibles" lable 2-fer CDs of original Sun International LPs.
Andrew McRae

User avatar
 
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Previous

Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests