Jerry Lee Chronicles 5 dvd box set

Postby flip54 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:10 pm

Patsy story "told her not to fly on a plane etc" p52 of Killer

Bookworm

Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:I read about Jerry meeting Patsy Cline before, can´t recall where, but it´s in a book, or Fireball Mail.

He mentioned Patsy Cline in the 1993 interviews with Chas White (I remember transcribing them!).

Was it in the Chas White´s book? I´m 100% sure i read it somewhere. He ended it with saying that Patsy was dead a few days later.

Perk
flip54

Postby Perk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:57 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:Not sure what your on to here, but the fact is that it has to do with FPS = frames per second. This is what makes the difference. Pal & Ntsc uses different fps (both on video & dvd). What it was shot on does not matter for the final release. This difference is very common. But it´s not 14 minutes of course.

Perk

And compatible machines play the systems back at the right FPS, so there's no difference with videotape...Believe me, I (& guys like Scott Doran & David Hamar) would notice if there was a pitch variation (as we do when watching GBOF movie or the UK version of LMS Live).

No they don´t playback the exact same time. I seen this phenomeon on many movies. Pal copy claims they have 90 minutes, Ntsc claims 93 minutes. But there´s no different scenes. I know this because i looked hard and thought there was supposed to be uncut scenes. This is also a common subject on many "movie freaks" forums. So it´s nothing new.

Enjoy the easy things in life, that´s important!

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:38 pm

Perk wrote:
No they don´t playback the exact same time. I seen this phenomeon on many movies. Pal copy claims they have 90 minutes, Ntsc claims 93 minutes. But there´s no different scenes. I know this because i looked hard and thought there was supposed to be uncut scenes. This is also a common subject on many "movie freaks" forums. So it´s nothing new.

That's because most movies are filmed. The speed (timing) difference is made during the transfer from film to DVD or videotape. Film plays back at different speeds in the USA to Europe, not videotape or DVDs. And there's no such thing as NTSC or PAL on film, this a TV thing (& therefore is only relevant to videotape or DVD etc).
peterchecksfield

Postby flip54 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:04 pm

The final disc (with the original doc), although billed on it as 60 mins, actually only contains just over 56 mins, so my advice is that Chronicles is well worth getting for the 4 songs on disc 4 and the extended interviews esp the JLL one but you still need the full version dvd of I Am such as the UK one on Quantam leap which plays for 76 minutes!

Close but no ceeeegar once again

For example on Chronicles What'd I say arrives at just over 36 mins but at 49 mins on the old Quantam dvd

Phil
flip54

Postby Perk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:06 pm

flip54 wrote:The final disc (with the original doc), although billed on it as 60 mins, actually only contains just over 56 mins, so my advice is that Chronicles is well worth getting for the 4 songs on disc 4 and the extended interviews esp the JLL one but you still need the full version dvd of I Am such as the UK one on Quantam leap which plays for 76 minutes!

For example on Chronicles What'd I say arrives at just over 36 mins but at 49 mins on the old Quantam dvd

Phil

Gonna watch my VHS tonight, will check the clock of how long it is. Mine is recorded from Swedish TV. I never bought the previous dvd.

Perk
Perk

Postby Perk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Perk wrote:
flip54 wrote:The final disc (with the original doc), although billed on it as 60 mins, actually only contains just over 56 mins, so my advice is that Chronicles is well worth getting for the 4 songs on disc 4 and the extended interviews esp the JLL one but you still need the full version dvd of I Am such as the UK one on Quantam leap which plays for 76 minutes!

Phil

Gonna watch my VHS tonight, will check the clock of how long it is. Mine is recorded from Swedish TV. I never bought the previous dvd.

Perk

Yes my VHS tape clocks in "What'd I say" at 49 minutes on my copy as well.

Perk
Perk

Disk 1

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:58 am

My copy arrived this morning, but so far I've only watched disk 1, containing fuller versions of interviews featured in the 'I Am What I Am' documentary.

First impressions are this is strictly a DVD for avid Jerry Lee fans, and probably one they'll only ever watch once or twice.

So far the most interesting parts of the interviews we've already seen in the documentary, and three disks of nothing but interviews, or 'talking heads' as someone described it, is pretty hard going.

But it is put together quite well with short biographies of those being interviewed, etc.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Re: Disk 1

Postby Perk » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:38 am

Tony Papard wrote:My copy arrived this morning, but so far I've only watched disk 1, containing fuller versions of interviews featured in the 'I Am What I Am' documentary.

First impressions are this is strictly a DVD for avid Jerry Lee fans, and probably one they'll only ever watch once or twice.

So far the most interesting parts of the interviews we've already seen in the documentary, and three disks of nothing but interviews, or 'talking heads' as someone described it, is pretty hard going.

But it is put together quite well with short biographies of those being interviewed, etc.

I wonder what the idea behind putting all these interviews was? From a larger selling point there should have been complete shows of Canada & Nashville included. To make it really attractive!

Perk
Perk

Postby rockin532000 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:44 am

I got mine yesterday and I fully share your views Perk and Tony: This is only for the likes of us. It really doesn't add that much. Biographies are not even worth reading as it is usually only a couple of lines and sometimes they are dead-wrong anyhow.
The additional 4 songs do not add anything. WLSGO is cut off before the finale....and last but not least: why do they show again the end credits during Rockin' my life away? It ruins the whole performance.

Ok, now I sounded very negative, however I still would recommend to buy it and be it even only to have a complete collection.

Regards
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:35 am

rockin532000 wrote:WLSGO is cut off before the finale....

Though it's complete on the VHS tape (it's actually a medley with 'You Can Have Her' & 'Tutti Frutti').
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:15 am

peterchecksfield wrote:

Though it's complete on the VHS tape (it's actually a medley with 'You Can Have Her' & 'Tutti Frutti').

Then he has a short break, and continues with Long Tall Sally/Tutti Futti and kicks the stool! Then a brief Whole Lotta Shakin.

I was just watching this video this morning. His performance here on this show with the song "Only Love Can Get You In My Door" is fantastic!

Perk
Perk

Postby flip54 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:24 am

Licensing probably, their deal would already include the other classic 4 JLL songs already featured in the doc whilst YCHH and TF would require a roylaty deal with their publisher and believe me since Sony/Michael Jackson have the L Richard catalogue they sniff out any use of their songs big time, says he having worked on a Welsh Mary Hopkin doc where her second hit was written by Paul McCartney and the song is owned by MJ and S!!

The best way I can sum up the extra Chronicles stuff is that I will treat it as an extended radio doc where the words are the key feature and not the visual, where else will you find longer interviews with key personnel like Eddie Kilroy and Jerry Kennedy for instance, all adds to the overall knowledge of JLL's career, I mean I spend £30-40 to see a football game,transport there and a few beers or to see a revival band, and it's all over in a couple of hours, perspective needed

Phil

ps still good to have a lengthy JLL interview

peterchecksfield wrote:

flip54

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:22 pm

I realised something while watching this today: on 'Another Place, Another Time' Jerry is wearing his jacket! Now, on the Toronto '87 video (released briefly by Charly in 1991) Jerry isn't wearing his jacket on any of the songs except 'Johnny B. Goode', & he can be seen removing his jacket at the end of that song. So this means that 'Another Place, Another Time' is from earlier in the show than all those other songs! Perhaps he even started the show with this song (not impossible)...

Also, all three of the Toronto '87 songs on the boxset have had the audio remixed, or at least reverb has been added. I think they sound better this way (the vocals are too "dry" on the videotape).
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:45 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I realised something while watching this today: on 'Another Place, Another Time' Jerry is wearing his jacket! Now, on the Toronto '87 video (released briefly by Charly in 1991) Jerry isn't wearing his jacket on any of the songs except 'Johnny B. Goode', & he can be seen removing his jacket at the end of that song. So this means that 'Another Place, Another Time' is from earlier in the show than all those other songs! Perhaps he even started the show with this song (not impossible)...

Also, all three of the Toronto '87 songs on the boxset have had the audio remixed, or at least reverb has been added. I think they sound better this way (the vocals are too "dry" on the videotape).

I haven´t seen this yet. It could be the first song as you say, but it´s probably 1 or 2 more songs before that. So strange they couldn´t release this show in complete? I mean putting out this giant box with only those songs. It sure would have made a bigger point to include this in it´s entirety as well, much bigger selling points!

Perk
Perk

Postby Amadeu » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:10 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I realised something while watching this today: on 'Another Place, Another Time' Jerry is wearing his jacket! Now, on the Toronto '87 video (released briefly by Charly in 1991) Jerry isn't wearing his jacket on any of the songs except 'Johnny B. Goode', & he can be seen removing his jacket at the end of that song. So this means that 'Another Place, Another Time' is from earlier in the show than all those other songs! Perhaps he even started the show with this song (not impossible)...

By the way , on the Charly Video we see another concert: Stockyard Lounge, Nashville...Its the same year than Toronto?.Because I think on the Nashville concert is SUPERB compare to the other(a little weak).And with a GREAT and powerful version of No Headstone on My Grave.A pity that we have only a part of that concert. :(
Amadeu

PreviousNext

Return to Archive