Jerry Lee Chronicles 5 dvd box set

Postby Perk » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 am

Thanks Flipster for the first quick update!!! It seems to be a lot of playing time on those first 3 discs. Hopefully there is some more live footage hidden somewhere among those interviews. I think "Another Time" must be "Another Place Another Time" which wasn´t on the previous VHS video of Royal York 87.

Perk
Perk

Postby jarireinikka » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:48 am

Just oredered a copy for only $15.90 or so ($25 shipped) from Ebay,unbelievable how cheap it can be for a new release!
jarireinikka

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:36 am

Perk wrote:Thanks Flipster for the first quick update!!! It seems to be a lot of playing time on those first 3 discs. Hopefully there is some more live footage hidden somewhere among those interviews. I think "Another Time" must be "Another Place Another Time" which wasn´t on the previous VHS video of Royal York 87.

Perk

Also "new" is 'Great Balls Of Fire' from Nashville (heard briefly at the beginning of the VHS tape but not seen) &'Breathless' (edited on the VHS tape).
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:20 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:Thanks Flipster for the first quick update!!! It seems to be a lot of playing time on those first 3 discs. Hopefully there is some more live footage hidden somewhere among those interviews. I think "Another Time" must be "Another Place Another Time" which wasn´t on the previous VHS video of Royal York 87.

Perk

Also "new" is 'Great Balls Of Fire' from Nashville (heard briefly at the beginning of the VHS tape but not seen) &'Breathless' (edited on the VHS tape).

I'm going to order two copies, for myself and for Terry Adams (these fans that are not on the Internet!) But I'm awaiting Phil Davies review first to see exactly what is on it. 3 DVDs of just interviews? And the 4th disk only has about 10 minutes of 'previously unreleased' songs so what is the other 39 minutes?

Tony
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby flip54 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:42 pm

Dipping in and out of disc one- the full interviews made for the original I Am What I Am, so people like say Sam, Carl, P,Otis Blackwell, Tom Jones, Jerry Kennedy etc who are on the old film then the full inteviews are here, titled Killer and Those Closest To Him, it's just the person talking, we don't see or hear the interviwer, there are captions of subject discussed and some brief interactive clips for more info

I find it fascinating and well worth getting just for this disc, Frankie, Linda JW Whitten and Mickey all speak for between 10 and 22 mins each and the icing on the cake is that JLL talks articulately and interestingly for just over 30 mins, I won't give away some of the highlights so as not to spoil it for people who buy, surely most JLL fans will support this fascinating extended insight into the man and the people around him

I have not come across any live clips other than the 4 bonus full clips and the original doc (which I haven't played yet), this is probably due to cost and copyright of material used originally, clips tend to be licensed for a certain period after original broadcast and further payments have to be made for an extension, I assume the doc makers filmed the Toronto/Nashville clips under an extended license

Hope this helps, more info as the days go by, it`s a long showwwww

Phil

ps re Tony`s query re disc 4 it seems to be scrolling words,biogs and factoids and weblinks that use up the rest of the time on the disc after the 4 live songs ( I've only watched them)
flip54

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:44 am

flip54 wrote:Dipping in and out of disc one- the full interviews made for the original I Am What I Am, so people like say Sam, Carl, P,Otis Blackwell, Tom Jones, Jerry Kennedy etc who are on the old film then the full inteviews are here, titled Killer and Those Closest To Him, it's just the person talking, we don't see or hear the interviwer, there are captions of subject discussed and some brief interactive clips for more info

I find it fascinating and well worth getting just for this disc, Frankie, Linda JW Whitten and Mickey all speak for between 10 and 22 mins each and the icing on the cake is that JLL talks articulately and interestingly for just over 30 mins, I won't give away some of the highlights so as not to spoil it for people who buy, surely most JLL fans will support this fascinating extended insight into the man and the people around him

I have not come across any live clips other than the 4 bonus full clips and the original doc (which I haven't played yet), this is probably due to cost and copyright of material used originally, clips tend to be licensed for a certain period after original broadcast and further payments have to be made for an extension, I assume the doc makers filmed the Toronto/Nashville clips under an extended license

Phil

ps re Tony`s query re disc 4 it seems to be scrolling words,biogs and factoids and weblinks that use up the rest of the time on the disc after the 4 live songs ( I've only watched them)

Thanks, I've now ordered two copies for myself and Terry Adams.

Tony
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Perk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:40 pm

flip54 wrote:Dipping in and out of disc one- the full interviews made for the original I Am What I Am, so people like say Sam, Carl, P,Otis Blackwell, Tom Jones, Jerry Kennedy etc who are on the old film then the full inteviews are here, titled Killer and Those Closest To Him, it's just the person talking, we don't see or hear the interviwer, there are captions of subject discussed and some brief interactive clips for more info

Phil

So in short, it seems to be made up mostly of full length interviews and facts. Good that you don´t give away some highlights in the Jerry interview.

I sure wished there had been more unseen live footage.

Perk
Perk

Postby flip54 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:19 pm

It's more like many non official Elvis dvds, lots of "talking heads" and a few usual suspect repeated clips or some live clips, with JLL we are blessed with hours of official and many many more of unofficial live footage but precious few places where JLL and the people involved with him are interviewed. This goes a long way to remedying that situation. Following on from the superb Killer Piano doc this gives us a nice pic of JLL in the 80s and the respecy of many peers and important figures in his career

The only bit I`ll give away is that JLL praises Patsy Cline as a performer which leads one to believe that her husband, and producer of this doc ,Charlie Dick was nearby at the time ;-))

I'll watch disc 2 and the actual doc later on tonight (but why is it 14 mins shorter than my old I Am dvd??) and the orig 1 dvd was half what I paid for this set of 5

Phil

Perk wrote:

Phil

So in short, it seems to be made up mostly of full length interviews and facts. Good that you don´t give away some highlights in the Jerry interview.

I sure wished there had been more unseen live footage.

Perk
flip54

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:25 pm

flip54 wrote:I'll watch disc 2 and the actual doc later on tonight (but why is it 14 mins shorter than my old I Am dvd??) and the orig 1 dvd was half what I paid for this set of 5

The official VHS tape (Charly?) was also just 60 minutes long, despite the telecast (& official DVD) being 74 minutes long. So maybe it's the "video edit"?
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:31 pm

It's more like many non official Elvis dvds, lots of "talking heads" and a few usual suspect repeated clips or some live clips, with JLL we are blessed with hours of official and many many more of unofficial live footage but precious few places where JLL and the people involved with him are interviewed. This goes a long way to remedying that situation. Following on from the superb Killer Piano doc this gives us a nice pic of JLL in the 80s and the respecy of many peers and important figures in his career

The only bit I`ll give away is that JLL praises Patsy Cline as a performer which leads one to believe that her husband, and producer of this doc ,Charlie Dick was nearby at the time ;-))

I'll watch disc 2 and the actual doc later on tonight (but why is it 14 mins shorter than my old I Am dvd??) and the orig 1 dvd was half what I paid for this set of 5

Phil

Don´t know, but one reason is that sometimes the Pal & Ntsc systems can differ a few minutes between each other, but not that much.

I read about Jerry meeting Patsy Cline before, can´t recall where, but it´s in a book, or Fireball Mail.

The box hasn´t been advertised on Ginza (swedish one who are usually up to date) yet, so i hold on a little while. Everything usually shows up there to a good price, and convenient for me to order.

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:40 pm

Perk wrote:Don´t know, but one reason is that sometimes the Pal & Ntsc systems can differ a few minutes between each other, but not that much.

This was recorded on videotape, so there won't be any pitch (or time) variation between NTSC & PAL. This only happens when it was recorded onto film instead of professional videotape, as most movies (& 'Last Man Standing Live'!) was.

The official 'I Am What I Am' videotape had some of the country songs (from 'The Many Sounds of Jerry Lee') missing, probably due to copyright reasons. I guess it's the same with this 5 DVD set.
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Perk wrote:I read about Jerry meeting Patsy Cline before, can´t recall where, but it´s in a book, or Fireball Mail.

He mentioned Patsy Cline in the 1993 interviews with Chas White (I remember transcribing them!).
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:50 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:Don´t know, but one reason is that sometimes the Pal & Ntsc systems can differ a few minutes between each other, but not that much.

This was recorded on videotape, so there won't be any pitch (or time) variation between NTSC & PAL. This only happens when it was recorded onto film instead of professional videotape, as most movies (& 'Last Man Standing Live'!) was.

The official 'I Am What I Am' videotape had some of the country songs (from 'The Many Sounds of Jerry Lee') missing, probably due to copyright reasons. I guess it's the same with this 5 DVD set.

Not sure what your on to here, but the fact is that it has to do with FPS = frames per second. This is what makes the difference. Pal & Ntsc uses different fps (both on video & dvd). What it was shot on does not matter for the final release. This difference is very common. But it´s not 14 minutes of course.

Perk
Perk

Postby Perk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:55 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:I read about Jerry meeting Patsy Cline before, can´t recall where, but it´s in a book, or Fireball Mail.

He mentioned Patsy Cline in the 1993 interviews with Chas White (I remember transcribing them!).

Was it in the Chas White´s book? I´m 100% sure i read it somewhere. He ended it with saying that Patsy was dead a few days later.

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Perk wrote:Not sure what your on to here, but the fact is that it has to do with FPS = frames per second. This is what makes the difference. Pal & Ntsc uses different fps (both on video & dvd). What it was shot on does not matter for the final release. This difference is very common. But it´s not 14 minutes of course.

Perk

And compatible machines play the systems back at the right FPS, so there's no difference with videotape...Believe me, I (& guys like Scott Doran & David Hamar) would notice if there was a pitch variation (as we do when watching GBOF movie or the UK version of LMS Live).
peterchecksfield

PreviousNext

Return to Archive