Kilroy Sessions

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:20 am

Tore Christensen wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:The Killer book details probably aren't correct.

But you are still sure that all the songs listed below are from the same sessions, the so called Caribou-seesion?

The songs listed above you mean? Yes, but it was not just one session, it was several sessions (lasting about a week as far as I can recall). I even seem to recall a report at the time saying that he'd recorded "About 40" songs.
Last edited by peterchecksfield on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterchecksfield

Postby thrund » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:21 am

Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote: It´s 37 tracks + 4 with Kenny. Does not have them written down at the moment.

What are the 4 Kenny songs?

They are ...

Things Songs Are Made Of
Party Time
She Sure Makes Leaving Look Easy
Just Another Woman

Is the song actually not called Parted Time?

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby tchr » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:46 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tore Christensen wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:The Killer book details probably aren't correct.

But you are still sure that all the songs listed below are from the same sessions, the so called Caribou-seesion?

The songs listed above you mean? Yes, but it was not just one session, it was several sessions (lasting about a week as far as I can recall). I even seem to recall a report at the time saying that he'd recorded "About 40" songs.

Yes, above of course, sorry :oops: . Reason for asking is the difference in the sound in some of these songs, but it could be due to the fact that these are recorded over several days as you say. But I also remember that one of the songs that were leaking out from the Killer Country sessions where Tennessee Waltz, but he could have recorded it again of course.
tchr

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:58 am

As I said, the details in 'Killer!' aren't accurate: I just used the best information I had in 1991-1992 when I wrote it. I guess I read or heard somewhere that he recorded 'Tennessee Waltz' in 1980, so I assumed it was during the 'Killer Country' sessions.
peterchecksfield

Postby Chris Davies » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:01 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Chris Davies wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:Overall, yes. But (a) I thought the 1980 sessions featured him in worse voice for that year, & (b) I thought the 1987 sessions featured him in the best voice for that year. OK?

He just seemed more "into it" during the 1987 session (& he must've been proud of these himself as he premiered several songs from these during his 1987 European tour).

Not only did he premier them but he had taken the time to really learn the songs by listening to them on a Walkman between shows. I think myself very lucky to have heard "What Am I Living For" at Bridlington and "One of Them Old Things We All Go Through" at Northampton. Both with superb piano and very similar in arrangement to the studio cuts. And I love "Rock'n'roll is Something Special", it is absolutley outstanding !

Even Jerry's band learnt them to some extent: I remember being surprised to see / hear Joel Schumaker playing slide guitar on 'Hang Up My Rock & Roll Shoes' in Cambridge (& I think in Northampton too), & when I asked him why he said it's because he's copying the record! It wasn't until I actually heard the 1987 studio cut years later that I realised what he was talking about.

The slide guitar on the studio recordings is fantastic!

I remember Colin Philips wrote in Lewis Scene that Jerry had let him listen to the recordings on the Walkman. The same edition of LS that included the Northampton show review and after-party review. I was amazed to hear that such things as meeting JLL were possible. The UK tour of 1987 ratcheted up my interest in JLL considerably! Although it was arguably the last great tour of Europe and the UK with JLL consistently playing long and varied shows. I know there were some amazing tours of Germany post 1987 but we were soon into a new era of JLL.
Chris Davies

Postby bluesinc. » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:25 am

Rocky wrote:The 1987 Kilroy produced session songs are much stronger than the 1980 sessions at Caribou Ranch. April, 1981, was to see the Electra release of the 12-song gospel album but Jimmy Bowen plugged the plug just before it was to hit the market. The follow-up single to "39 & Holding" was to be "Eight X Ten b/w Keep My Motor Running" in May, 81. Ditto for that.

is there a possible tracklist out, which songs, artwork etc? i´m so interested in this period
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby unchained » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:03 am

Look at my site bluesinc. The Kilroy sleeve is one of the best I ever made.
unchained

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:10 am

unchained wrote:Look at my site bluesinc. The Kilroy sleeve is one of the best I ever made.

Maybe, but I think Johannes is after the track listing for the proposed 1981 gospel album (which I don't know either).

Good to see you back on here by the way. :D
peterchecksfield

Postby bluesinc. » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:17 am

unchained wrote:Look at my site bluesinc. The Kilroy sleeve is one of the best I ever made.

great, i like such stuff. you could design a elektra box set :P
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby unchained » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:17 am

I wasn't to sure what he mend either :lol:

Good to be back Peter, of course I never really left, I just didn't feel like chatting to much.
unchained

Postby bluesinc. » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:18 am

peterchecksfield wrote:

Maybe, but I think Johannes is after the track listing for the proposed 1981 gospel album (which I don't know either).

Good to see you back on here by the way. :D

yes, that´s what i´m looking for, it was mentioned here before with the eight x ten/keep my motor running 45
www.girmindl.at

bluesinc.

Postby unchained » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:21 am

bluesinc. wrote:

Already got the Elektra logo, so why not. :lol:
unchained

Postby thrund » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:24 pm

unchained wrote:
bluesinc. wrote:

Already got the Elektra logo, so why not. :lol:

Good to have you back here Ron!

Thomas
thrund

Re: Kilroy Sessions

Postby lucasjenke » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 pm

There are about 40 songs from tht session ad it is gret. Jerry was still wild and you can hear the fun he is having playing these records

I love the End of the Road version of that concert
lucasjenke

Re: Kilroy Sessions

Postby thrund » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:41 am

lucasjenke wrote:There are about 40 songs from tht session ad it is gret. Jerry was still wild and you can hear the fun he is having playing these records

I love the End of the Road version of that concert

Which session with producer Kilroy do you mean exactly with those 'about 40 songs' please?
..would like to get details...

Thomas
thrund

PreviousNext

Return to Archive