The Many Sounds of Jerry Lee



Postby jayhawks » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:55 pm

it is always amazing how many background knowledge is "around here"!!

this is the true JLL- Fanbase! 8)
jayhawks

User avatar
 
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:45 am

Postby Perk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:09 pm

jayhawks wrote:it is always amazing how many background knowledge is "around here"!!

this is the true JLL- Fanbase! 8)


There are some incredible experts on here in all kinds of fields. I wish the oldies Graham, Pierre and others etc would join in too.

I think it´s a good mix with young´uns who don´t know so much, they often raise the subjects/questions. Which many others think is pure standard stuff since 40 years back and can answer.

Let´s hope it will continue to grow. Nearly 100 members joined since we made it private for members. All i wish is a facelift of the forum, i´m getting tired of this background color : ))) But that´s a subject for another thread.

Rock On

Perk
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Postby thrund » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:05 pm

Perk wrote:
jayhawks wrote:it is always amazing how many background knowledge is "around here"!!

this is the true JLL- Fanbase! 8)


There are some incredible experts on here in all kinds of fields. I wish the oldies Graham, Pierre and others etc would join in too.

I think it´s a good mix with young´uns who don´t know so much, they often raise the subjects/questions. Which many others think is pure standard stuff since 40 years back and can answer.

Let´s hope it will continue to grow. Nearly 100 members joined since we made it private for members. All i wish is a facelift of the forum, i´m getting tired of this background color : ))) But that´s a subject for another thread.

Rock On

Perk


That's true!!!
thrund

User avatar
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Germany

Postby Ulli » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:22 pm

To read in your forum as a newcomer is fantabolous!! So much fun, so much new to me and much that I knew - just thank you all!!
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

User avatar
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:57 pm
Location: Bonn / GER

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:20 pm

Tore Christensen wrote:Back-up singers: Sandy Rhodes and Donna Rhodes. They provided the back-up singing for the show plus singing "Proud Mary", "Let The Good Times Roll" and others together with Charles Chalmers.


All we need now is the name of the 2nd guitarist. Buck Hutcheson had rejoined the band by February 1970 (The Johnny Cash Show), but that's not him here.
peterchecksfield

 

Postby tchr » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:54 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tore Christensen wrote:Back-up singers: Sandy Rhodes and Donna Rhodes. They provided the back-up singing for the show plus singing "Proud Mary", "Let The Good Times Roll" and others together with Charles Chalmers.


All we need now is the name of the 2nd guitarist. Buck Hutcheson had rejoined the band by February 1970 (The Johnny Cash Show), but that's not him here.


As most of you know and have seen; in Fireball Mail Vol.29 No.2 (sept/oct 1991?) on page 5 there was a copy from Music City News, dated October 1969. The headline was: Jerry Lee In Memphis. For those of you who don't have this issue, the text goes as follows:

Jerry Lee Lewis and his band filmed five 30 minute shows for syndication by the Holiday Inns of America in Memphis recently. The shows will be aired later this year and is called "Jerry Lee in Memphis".
Guests include Conway Twitty and the Twitty Birds, Lynn Anderson, Roy Drusky, Linda Gail Lewis, The Settlers, Al Greene, The Box Tops, The Classics IV, Greg and the Jacks, The Rust College Quintet, Donna and Sandy Rhodes and Charles Chalmers.


Peter, if you look at the guest-line here, are there any possibilty that the 2nd guitarist may be among the guests? Al Greene?
By the way, The Rust College Quintet also guested on the Jerry Lee Show filmed in 1971.

Tore
tchr

 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:02 pm

Postby flip54 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:31 am

Isn't that Memphis soul singer Al Green of Hi records then on the cusp of superstardom? His real surname is Greene. Make you sure you catch the Rev`s gospel brunch when in Memphis, still making great records too

Phil

[quote="Tore ChristensenPeter, if you look at the guest-line here, are there any possibilty that the 2nd guitarist may be among the guests? Al Greene?
By the way, The Rust College Quintet also guested on the Jerry Lee Show filmed in 1971.

Tore[/quote]
flip54

 
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:34 am

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:00 am

Tore Christensen wrote:Peter, if you look at the guest-line here, are there any possibilty that the 2nd guitarist may be among the guests? Al Greene?


Possibly? Or maybe he's one of the guest artists in the "missing" show?

Tore Christensen wrote:By the way, The Rust College Quintet also guested on the Jerry Lee Show filmed in 1971.

Tore


Yes, all four of them! :lol:
peterchecksfield

 

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:02 am

flip54 wrote:Isn't that Memphis soul singer Al Green of Hi records then on the cusp of superstardom? His real surname is Greene. Make you sure you catch the Rev`s gospel brunch when in Memphis, still making great records too

Phil


That crossed my mind too (would be nice if he & Jerry did a duet on the show!).
peterchecksfield

 

Postby bailbath » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:45 pm

Tore Christensen wrote:
bailbath wrote:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBQ7FLJ_IM&feature=related
This is GREAT.
Who is the sax man any one know?
Ian

Tore Christensen wrote:
Tore Christensen wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:Band members are Kenny, Ed DeBruhl (bass), Ned Davies (steel guitar, Russ Smith (drums). I don't know who the 2nd guitarist & saxophonist are though, & they seemed to have only been hired for this show as they weren't with Jerry shortly before (Toronto) or afterwards (Ed Sullivan Show).

Saxophonist: Charles Chalmers. Chalmers was co-arranger of the show..
Tore

Back-up singers: Sandy Rhodes and Donna Rhodes. They provided the back-up singing for the show plus singing "Proud Mary", "Let The Good Times Roll" and others together with Charles Chalmers.

http://www.topfreeforum.com/jerryleelew ... ryleelewis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Chalmers
http://www.charliechalmers.com/index.html
bailbath

User avatar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Bath, uk

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Great research as always Tore!!! :shock: 8) :D
peterchecksfield

 

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm still looking for the 5th episode of this, but for all newcomers these feature Jerry at his very best!!! :D
peterchecksfield

 

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:13 am

Can't say that I agree. I would recommend any of many of the 1980's pro videos over this. Or if you want to see him live when he was younger but no the 1950's, go for Toronto 69. Too many guests and nonsense rubbish on these.
If it's good enough for me,
It should be good enough for you.
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:29 am

you´re very wrong!!!(except on those guests)
jarireinikka

 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:12 am
Location: tuusula,finland

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:03 am

jarireinikka wrote:you´re very wrong!!!(except on those guests)


Forget the guests, but I think Jerry himself was more inspired here than in Toronto a few days earlier. Also these are probably the best performances to show of Jerry's diverse talents; Rock 'n' roll, country, pop standards, gospel; piano, guitar, drums! :shock:

Most of the '80's concerts has one or two boring numbers in my opinion, even London '83 (Georgia On My Mind, Would You Take Another Chance On Me), but every song here seems to feature Jerry giving it his very best.
peterchecksfield

 

PreviousNext

Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest