The Many Sounds of Jerry Lee

The Many Sounds of Jerry Lee

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:37 pm

In late September 1969, Jerry Lee Lewis taped at The Holiday Inn in Memphis five 30 minute (or 20 minutes minus commercials) TV Specials. These featured Jerry at undoubtedly his most inspired & most versatile, playing a selection of old, new & borrowed songs, & playing guitar & drums as well as piano. For those who've never seen these in their entirety, clips of three songs ('What'd I Say', 'Green Green Grass Of Home' & 'What's Made Milwaukee Famous') were included in the 1987 'I Am What I Am' documentary.

Now, it is likely that all five shows were broadcast on the short-lived 'The Outlaw Music Channel' in the late 80s or early 90s. Three of these shows have circulated amongst collectors for several years, & about 2 years ago I managed to get a great video of a fourth show. But we're still looking for the fifth show! I'm confident that someone out there must have this, so can anyone help?!?!?

Here's the songs performed by JLL on the shows I have so far (the shows also feature guests including Linda Gail Lewis, Conway Twitty, Lynn Anderson, Roy Drusky & others):

Show 1:
Medley: High School Confidential - Great Balls Of Fire - Mean Woman Blues
Danny Boy
Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)
Don't Take It Out On Me (with LGL)
Long Tall Sally
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
Turn On Your Lovelight (JLL playing drums!)

Show2:
Jambalaya
Roll Over Beethoven (with LGL)
What's Made Milwaukee Famous
Blue Suede Shoes
Hit The Road Jack
Ubangi Stomp

Show 3:
Medley: I'm Movin' On - Down The Line (with LGL)
Green Green Grass Of Home (JLL playing guitar)
Flip, Flop & Fly
Gotta Travel On (with LGL)
What'd I Say

Show 4:
Shout (with LGL)
She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye
Pick Me Up On Your Way Down
Money
Lewis Boogie

Show 5:
songs likely to include:
Swing Low Sweet Chariot (clips of this were broadcast on a UK documentary in the early 90s)
I Can't Stop Loving You
End Of The Road
Sweet Little Sixteen
He'll Have To Go
(I have the last 4 songs on audio, & though undated they sound like this show to me)

I'm confident that this will surface eventually, & if the JLL parts were edited together (in 'I Am What I Am' quality) & released on DVD this would undoubtedly be one of the greatest releases EVER...for years we were searching for all JLL's 'Shindig!' performances, but now we have all 18 songs from all 5 appearances so I live in hope! :shock:
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:02 am

The shows on that "outlaw channel" was owned by these people ...

http://www.willienelsongeneralstore.com ... shows.html

As you can see they also owns many more shows. They were not long ago broadcasting several of those on the RFD-TV channel in the US.

I pointed this out several years ago, wanting US people to keep their eyes open, if something was broadcasted of these JLL shows. But apparently not.

Perk
Perk

Re: The Many Sounds of Jerry Lee

Postby jayhawks » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:58 am

peterchecksfield wrote:...for years we were searching for all JLL's 'Shindig!' performances, but now we have all 18 songs from all 5 appearances so I live in hope! :shock:

where can we get those amazing performances?! :shock:
jayhawks

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:49 am

Anyone?

A while back I got a nice 'upgrade' of the show featuring 'What'd I Say' etc (a friend got this from a Conway Twitty fan, as Mr Twitty was on this show). So at least we know that more than one person taped these rebroadcasts...
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:49 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Anyone?

A while back I got a nice 'upgrade' of the show featuring 'What'd I Say' etc (a friend got this from a Conway Twitty fan, as Mr Twitty was on this show). So at least we know that more than one person taped these rebroadcasts...

The earlier one i have is out of synch badly. Same copy i borrowed to you a few years ago. Is this one better? Besides the synch, how is the picture?
Is it brighter than the previous one?

The best quality i seen of these is the one you got Peter with "Money".

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:53 am

Perk wrote:

The earlier one i have is out of synch badly. Same copy i borrowed to you a few years ago. Is this one better? Besides the synch, how is the picture?

Perk

Yes, the sync is perfect, & the picture is a bit brighter (though slighty grainier) than before. Best thing about it is the audio quality though, it's almost asgood as the 'I Am What I Am' clips! :D
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:04 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:

Perk

Yes, the sync is perfect, & the picture is a bit brighter (though slighty grainier) than before. Best thing about it is the audio quality though, it's almost asgood as the 'I Am What I Am' clips! :D

Thanks Peter for the info! As Jerry would say ..Rrrrr!

I just started watching these that i have today. How great Jerry is on these shows!!! I hope some mentally sane person for a real official company someday decide to release these on a DVD in perfect quality! That dvd would rock!!!

Perk
Perk

Postby tchr » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:16 pm

To Peter,

Someone has put out two songs from "The Many Sounds of Jerry Lee" on You Tube now. As far as I can see, these are taken from show 1 and 3, and are taken from the "outlaw channel". If these are not put out by some of "our" people, maybe this could be a place to look for the show 5. Here's the link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OgKQvU9Y9gk

Tore
tchr

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:36 pm

Tore Christensen wrote:To Peter,

Someone has put out two songs from "The Many Sounds of Jerry Lee" on You Tube now. As far as I can see, these are taken from show 1 and 3, and are taken from the "outlaw channel". If these are not put out by some of "our" people, maybe this could be a place to look for the show 5. Here's the link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OgKQvU9Y9gk

Tore

Thanks Tore! I've just left a comment (maybe other people will read it too)... :D
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:56 pm

Tore Christensen wrote:As far as I can see, these are taken from show 1 and 3, and are taken from the "outlaw channel".

This clip (posted by the same guy) is also from "show 1":

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RIYGh-WW-Jg

Incidentally, no-one seems to know in what order the shows were originally broadcast. So "show 1" (etc) may not be correct.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:11 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tore Christensen wrote:As far as I can see, these are taken from show 1 and 3, and are taken from the "outlaw channel".

This clip (posted by the same guy) is also from "show 1":

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RIYGh-WW-Jg

Incidentally, no-one seems to know in what order the shows were originally broadcast. So "show 1" (etc) may not be correct.

People who gets the american RFD-TV channel should keep their eyes open for re-broadcasts of these! As they apparently have access to the Willie Nelson archives of old Tv shows. Just watched an episode of "Pop Goes The Country" recorded from this channel, in knife-sharp quality.

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:30 am

jayhawks wrote:i just saw those ,imo, great shows last night-

when were they taped, were they broadcast "properly"?

beside kenny, who are the other bandmembers?

i liked the energy Jerry put in his performances and, of course, i liked the very beautiful & young Linda Gail...

Yes, they were broadcast at the time, though probably only locally (in the Memphis etc area).

Band members are Kenny, Ed DeBruhl (bass), Ned Davies (steel guitar, Russ Smith (drums). I don't know who the 2nd guitarist & saxophonist are though, & they seemed to have only been hired for this show as they weren't with Jerry shortly before (Toronto) or afterwards (Ed Sullivan Show).

I'd love to see these shows released as an official DVD (with a "play JLL parts only" option!), these deserve to be more widely seen & in better quality. And yes, I'm still searching for the "5th" episode...
peterchecksfield

Postby tchr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:32 am

peterchecksfield wrote:Band members are Kenny, Ed DeBruhl (bass), Ned Davies (steel guitar, Russ Smith (drums). I don't know who the 2nd guitarist & saxophonist are though, & they seemed to have only been hired for this show as they weren't with Jerry shortly before (Toronto) or afterwards (Ed Sullivan Show).

Saxophonist: Charles Chalmers. Chalmers was co-arranger of the show..

Tore
tchr

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:41 am

Tore Christensen wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:Band members are Kenny, Ed DeBruhl (bass), Ned Davies (steel guitar, Russ Smith (drums). I don't know who the 2nd guitarist & saxophonist are though, & they seemed to have only been hired for this show as they weren't with Jerry shortly before (Toronto) or afterwards (Ed Sullivan Show).

Tore

Well done, thanks! :D
peterchecksfield

Postby tchr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:47 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tore Christensen wrote:

Tore

Well done, thanks! :D

Back-up singers: Sandy Rhodes and Donna Rhodes. They provided the back-up singing for the show plus singing "Proud Mary", "Let The Good Times Roll" and others together with Charles Chalmers.
tchr

Next

Return to Archive