Books on Jerry Lee



Postby yappin*yappin*yappin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:14 pm

np ;)
yappin*yappin*yappin

 

Re: Books on Jerry Lee

Postby flip54 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:43 pm

The only reason to go to Camden now is the Sounds That Swing 50s shop
Way back when, we had Rock On, Rhythm Records and Vintage Record Centre to browse whilst the mrs cruised the market, there are some good music venues around there, saw Dwight Y up that way around 2years back

Flip

picked up the great Left Hand Of God hardback book in a charity shop today (I had the paperback version),history of boogie woogie, cue Amos Milburn,M L Lewis,A Ammons, P Johnson etc day tomorrow

ChrisdeB wrote:
flip54 wrote:.Used to buy them in the much missed Compendium Book shop in Camden N London on JLL trips to shows

Ahhh Compendium, how I miss that shop. The best bookshop in London!!!
flip54

 
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:34 am

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:56 pm

I also have a Spanish pocketbook "Jerry Lee Lewis" by Luis Lapuente,pressed in -92...don´t understand a word of it,though...
jarireinikka

 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:12 am
Location: tuusula,finland

Postby thrund » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:49 am

Andrew McRae wrote:I think I'm right in saying that the Cain book was the first to hit the shelves, in 1981. It was called "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" but was little more than a scrapbook, rather disjointed and based largely on interviews with people such as Steve Allen. From what i remember you could probably read it cover to cover in less than an half-an-hour.

There was also a French book on JLL; I can't remember the title off hand.
The Bear Family vinyl box sets also of course contain books which have as much meat and/or merit than some of the above mentioned.

The collective amnesia demonstrated here about another book, published by its author, is quite encouraging! (So why I'm drawing attntion to it is beyond me!)

Andrew


Here more books, include the French book:

The Killer's Story, Tania A. LeFebre, France 1980, edition 2500 (numbered 500)

The Ball Of Fire, Alan Clark, USA 1980

The Killer 1953-1968 & The Killer 1973-1977, Colin Escott, Germany 1986 & '87 ( by Bear)

Regards
Image

Image
thrund

User avatar
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Germany

Postby Piet » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:58 am

Sorry Ian,

The books from Bear Family by Colin Escott are 3 pieces. The Killer from 1963-1968 - The Killer 1969-1972 and The Killer 1973 - 1977.

Piet
Piet

User avatar
 
Posts: 2580
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Rosmalen, The Netherlands

Postby thrund » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:08 am

Piet wrote:Sorry Ian,

The books from Bear Family by Colin Escott are 3 pieces. The Killer from 1963-1968 - The Killer 1969-1972 and The Killer 1973 - 1977.

Piet


Sorry, my mistake.
It's right 3 books.
Thanks Piet.

Regards
thrund

User avatar
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Germany

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:41 am

tolazytodie wrote:
The Ball Of Fire, Alan Clark, USA 1980



I don't remember this one - missing from my collection. Any more details?

Not exclusively about Jerry Lee, but with a lot of stories about him not found elsewhere, is Jimmy Swaggart's autobiography 'To Cross A River'. Including how they broke into a store and all that was there to steal was barbed wire, and Jimmy insisted they take some after all the trouble they'd gone to to break-in. 'What the Hell are we going to do with a lot of barbed wire?' was Jerry's reply. Or another time when Jimmy asked Jerry to cut his hair and got a similar response: 'What the Hell do I know about cutting hair?'

Has Mickey Gilley written an autobiography?
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

User avatar
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: London, England, EU

Postby flip54 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:00 pm

here's my earlier posting which has all this info

>>In addition to these you can/could buy seperately the three paperback sized books by Colin Escott that came with the BF Mercury vinyl box sets, but there again it would only provide Pete with huge royalties )

Alan Clark had a great photo/Billboard ads n reviews book about JLL titled Ball Of Fire,60 pages, self published in 1980,he did a whole series of 50s books with his Cochran ones being outstanding and a couple on Sun Stars too.Used to buy them in the much missed Compendium Book shop in Camden N London on JLL trips to shows

Elaine Dundy's Ferriday book has enough JLL and family related stuff to make it worth checking out, though Frankie's stories come sans Saxa salt <<

Phil


Tony Papard wrote:
tolazytodie wrote:
The Ball Of Fire, Alan Clark, USA 1980



I don't remember this one - missing from my collection. Any more details?

Not exclusively about Jerry Lee, but with a lot of stories about him not found elsewhere, is Jimmy Swaggart's autobiography 'To Cross A River'. Including how they broke into a store and all that was there to steal was barbed wire, and Jimmy insisted they take some after all the trouble they'd gone to to break-in. 'What the Hell are we going to do with a lot of barbed wire?' was Jerry's reply. Or another time when Jimmy asked Jerry to cut his hair and got a similar response: 'What the Hell do I know about cutting hair?'

Has Mickey Gilley written an autobiography?
flip54

 
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:34 am

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:45 pm

flip54 wrote:
Alan Clark had a great photo/Billboard ads n reviews book about JLL titled Ball Of Fire,60 pages, self published in 1980,he did a whole series of 50s books with his Cochran ones being outstanding and a couple on Sun Stars too.Used to buy them in the much missed Compendium Book shop in Camden N London on JLL trips to shows



Many of the ads& reviews included in the 1983 Charly 12 LP boxset were taken directly from this booklet. I had it, but it's another one that's now (presumably) in the archives of Dr Rock...
peterchecksfield

 

Postby Perk » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:03 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
flip54 wrote:
Alan Clark had a great photo/Billboard ads n reviews book about JLL titled Ball Of Fire,60 pages, self published in 1980,he did a whole series of 50s books with his Cochran ones being outstanding and a couple on Sun Stars too.Used to buy them in the much missed Compendium Book shop in Camden N London on JLL trips to shows



Many of the ads& reviews included in the 1983 Charly 12 LP boxset were taken directly from this booklet. I had it, but it's another one that's now (presumably) in the archives of Dr Rock...


I ordered that Alan Clark book from a dealer in England. Sometime around 1984-85. So it´s surprising that Tony ain´t got it? It´s basically just a small booklet with ad´s & stuff as Peter said. But i´m not so sure much is the same between this and the Charly 12Lp box set book? Perhaps a few clippings maybe?

Perk
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:09 pm

Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
flip54 wrote:
Alan Clark had a great photo/Billboard ads n reviews book about JLL titled Ball Of Fire,60 pages, self published in 1980,he did a whole series of 50s books with his Cochran ones being outstanding and a couple on Sun Stars too.Used to buy them in the much missed Compendium Book shop in Camden N London on JLL trips to shows



Many of the ads& reviews included in the 1983 Charly 12 LP boxset were taken directly from this booklet. I had it, but it's another one that's now (presumably) in the archives of Dr Rock...


I ordered that Alan Clark book from a dealer in England. Sometime around 1984-85. So it´s surprising that Tony ain´t got it? It´s basically just a small booklet with ad´s & stuff as Peter said. But i´m not so sure much is the same between this and the Charly 12Lp box set book? Perhaps a few clippings maybe?

Perk


Barrie Gamblin told me that these 'few' clippings were taken directly from the booklet (he was heavily involved in the production of the boxset).
peterchecksfield

 

Postby Perk » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:27 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
flip54 wrote:
Alan Clark had a great photo/Billboard ads n reviews book about JLL titled Ball Of Fire,60 pages, self published in 1980,he did a whole series of 50s books with his Cochran ones being outstanding and a couple on Sun Stars too.Used to buy them in the much missed Compendium Book shop in Camden N London on JLL trips to shows



Many of the ads& reviews included in the 1983 Charly 12 LP boxset were taken directly from this booklet. I had it, but it's another one that's now (presumably) in the archives of Dr Rock...


I ordered that Alan Clark book from a dealer in England. Sometime around 1984-85. So it´s surprising that Tony ain´t got it? It´s basically just a small booklet with ad´s & stuff as Peter said. But i´m not so sure much is the same between this and the Charly 12Lp box set book? Perhaps a few clippings maybe?

Perk


Barrie Gamblin told me that these 'few' clippings were taken directly from the booklet (he was heavily involved in the production of the boxset).


Yes yes, most likely. I just hinted at that there´s a lot more articles & things in the Alan Clark book not used for Charly book.

; )

Perk
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

recommendation?

Postby cindy560a » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:19 pm

Which book(s) do you all recommend for having the most photographs? I live in Tokyo, Japan, and naturally, you don't find JLL stuff here. None. I have Japanese friends who are fans of JLL, but most of them can't read English that well. My only suggestion to them is to search through Amazon and other online bookstores, but I admit it's hard to tell what's actually in it.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit I haven't bought any of the books on the list in the earlier posts. Gotta start reading them!

cindy
cindy560a

 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: recommendation?

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:01 pm

cindy560a wrote:Which book(s) do you all recommend for having the most photographs?


The Robert Cain & Robert Palmer books. Both are long deleted, but you should be able to pick them up cheaply on amazon or ebay.

The best books for the JLL story though are the Nick Tosches & Murray Silver / Myra Lewis books, though both were first published in the early 80s & have never been updated.

Linda Gail's book is fun reading (though factually sloppy), & the official biography by JLL & CharlesWhite has a great discography / sessionography.
peterchecksfield

 

Re: recommendation?

Postby cindy560a » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Much thanks for the great info, Peter! I'm searching ebay/amazon right away

cindy

peterchecksfield wrote:
cindy560a wrote:Which book(s) do you all recommend for having the most photographs?


The Robert Cain & Robert Palmer books. Both are long deleted, but you should be able to pick them up cheaply on amazon or ebay.

The best books for the JLL story though are the Nick Tosches & Murray Silver / Myra Lewis books, though both were first published in the early 80s & have never been updated.

Linda Gail's book is fun reading (though factually sloppy), & the official biography by JLL & CharlesWhite has a great discography / sessionography.
:D
cindy560a

 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PreviousNext

Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron