Books on Jerry Lee

Books on Jerry Lee

Postby Richard Harvey » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:54 am

Jerry Lee has been featured in loads of magazines and books, but just how many books have been published solely about him? Here's a list of the ones I own.

Hellfire Nick Tosches
Killer Charles White
Rockin' My Life Away Jimmy Gutterman
Great Balls of Fire Murray Silver
The Devil Me And Jerry Lee Linda Gail
Jerry Lee Rocks! Robert Palmer

I can't find the last one, so I hope I've got the title and author right. Are there any more?
--
Richard Harvey

Re: Books on Jerry Lee

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:41 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:Jerry Lee has been featured in loads of magazines and books, but just how many books have been published solely about him? Here's a list of the ones I own.

Hellfire Nick Tosches
Killer Charles White

I can't find the last one, so I hope I've got the title and author right. Are there any more?

There was also Jerry Lee Rocks or something similar, by Robert Cain. Worth having more for the photos than the text.
peterchecksfield

Postby Richard Harvey » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:46 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Richard Harvey wrote:Jerry Lee Rocks! Robert Palmer

There was also Jerry Lee Rocks or something similar, by Robert Cain. Worth having more for the photos than the text.

Perhaps that's the one I'm thinking of. It was more of a picture book. Larger format, quite thin and softcover. Early eighties?
--
Richard Harvey

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:09 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
Richard Harvey wrote:Jerry Lee Rocks! Robert Palmer

Perhaps that's the one I'm thinking of. It was more of a picture book. Larger format, quite thin and softcover. Early eighties?

Robert Cain & Robert Palmer both wrote books on JLL circa 1981 (I can't recall the exact titles), & both were large format soft cover books with lots of photos. The Robert Palmer book was more interesting to read though (unfortunately I loaned several of my JLL books to Chas Dr Rock White & never got them back!).
peterchecksfield

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:41 pm

I think I'm right in saying that the Cain book was the first to hit the shelves, in 1981. It was called "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" but was little more than a scrapbook, rather disjointed and based largely on interviews with people such as Steve Allen. From what i remember you could probably read it cover to cover in less than an half-an-hour.

There was also a French book on JLL; I can't remember the title off hand.
The Bear Family vinyl box sets also of course contain books which have as much meat and/or merit than some of the above mentioned.

The collective amnesia demonstrated here about another book, published by its author, is quite encouraging! (So why I'm drawing attntion to it is beyond me!)

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:48 pm

One memorable bit in the Robert Palmer book is an interview with Jerry & J.W. Whitten about why Jerry never joined the army...according to Captain Whitten "Jerry's dick wouldn't stay down!", & Jerry tells him to shut up! :lol:

Talking of Mr Whitten, hope you've all seen the latest Fire-Ball Mail! The photo on the back cover is hilarious!
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:08 pm

[quote="peterchecksfield"]One memorable bit in the Robert Palmer book is an interview with Jerry & J.W. Whitten about why Jerry never joined the army...according to Captain Whitten "Jerry's dick wouldn't stay down!", & Jerry tells him to shut up! :lol:

On what page is this? I never read it before, even though i read the book several times. I must have missed it all these years!

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:One memorable bit in the Robert Palmer book is an interview with Jerry & J.W. Whitten about why Jerry never joined the army...according to Captain Whitten "Jerry's dick wouldn't stay down!", & Jerry tells him to shut up! :lol:

On what page is this? I never read it before, even though i read the book several times. I must have missed it all these years!

Perk

I no longer have the book so I can't tell you what page it's on.
peterchecksfield

Postby Richard Harvey » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:51 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I no longer have the book so I can't tell you what page it's on.

I remember Iggy Pop saying he "beat his meat till it was a foot long" at his army medical. Seems like it was a good way of avoiding the draught.

"Hey, this guy's a fag, get him outa here!" :lol:
--
Richard Harvey

Postby flip54 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:18 am

In addition to these you can/could buy seperately the three paperback sized books by Colin Escott that came with the BF Mercury vinyl box sets, but there again it would only provide Pete with huge royalties ;-))

Alan Clark had a great photo/Billboard ads n reviews book about JLL titled Ball Of Fire,60 pages, self published in 1980,he did a whole series of 50s books with his Cochran ones being outstanding and a couple on Sun Stars too.Used to buy them in the much missed Compendium Book shop in Camden N London on JLL trips to shows

Elaine Dundy's Ferriday book has enough JLL and family related stuff to make it worth checking out, though Frankie's stories come sans Saxa salt

perhaps someone on this list could do a Rough Guide to JLL book ala the ones they've issued on Elvis, Fabs,Stones,Dylan etc

Phil

ps and Amazon keeps reminding me because I bought JLL product previously that I might be interested in Dean and Me by Jerry Lewis!!!!

pps I have a spare copy of the Palmer JLL Rocks book available for some swapsies

Richard Harvey wrote:Jerry Lee has been featured in loads of magazines and books, but just how many books have been published solely about him? Here's a list of the ones I own.

Hellfire Nick Tosches
Killer Charles White

flip54

Postby yappin*yappin*yappin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:07 pm

the incident you're looking for is on page 12 in the chapter titled "fucking snakes" from the book "jerry lee lewis rocks! by robert palmer.[/u]
yappin*yappin*yappin

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:33 pm

yappin*yappin*yappin wrote:the incident you're looking for is on page 12 in the chapter titled "fucking snakes" from the book "jerry lee lewis rocks! by robert palmer.[/u]

Thank you, J.W. Whitten! :wink:
peterchecksfield

Postby yappin*yappin*yappin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:48 pm

heh.
yappin*yappin*yappin

Postby Perk » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:28 am

yappin*yappin*yappin wrote:the incident you're looking for is on page 12 in the chapter titled "fucking snakes" from the book "jerry lee lewis rocks! by robert palmer.[/u]

Just found it! Thanks JW!!!!

Perky ; )
Perk

Postby ChrisdeB » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:47 am

[quote="flip54"]Alan Clark had a great photo/Billboard ads n reviews book about JLL titled Ball Of Fire,60 pages, self published in 1980,he did a whole series of 50s books with his Cochran ones being outstanding and a couple on Sun Stars too.Used to buy them in the much missed Compendium Book shop in Camden N London on JLL trips to shows

Ahhh Compendium, how I miss that shop. The best bookshop in London!!!
ChrisdeB

Next

Return to Archive