Jerry Lee Lewis and Friends

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:06 pm

flip54 wrote:What was the name of the satellite channel taken over by Sky (the y were Bskyb for a short while)that broadcast the original show here in the UK, had those funny square-ials, a pal subscribed so that he could tape the show which had some cool camera angles above the piano etc and more fan/band interviews than on the dvd, all on a video in the loft somewhere along with the Kings Sunday show which I still can't find

Dorian Gray

peterchecksfield wrote:[I should've pointed out that part of this can be seen & heard during the fans & guests interviews at the beginning of the official DVD.

The station was BSB - British Satellite Broadcasting. But I didn't know they'd broadcast the Hammersmith 1989 show. I knew they broadcast the last Wembley Festival with Jerry Lee in 1990.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:19 pm

Tony Papard wrote:
flip54 wrote:What was the name of the satellite channel taken over by Sky (the y were Bskyb for a short while)that broadcast the original show here in the UK, had those funny square-ials, a pal subscribed so that he could tape the show which had some cool camera angles above the piano etc and more fan/band interviews than on the dvd, all on a video in the loft somewhere along with the Kings Sunday show which I still can't find

Dorian Gray

peterchecksfield wrote:[I should've pointed out that part of this can be seen & heard during the fans & guests interviews at the beginning of the official DVD.

The station was BSB - British Satellite Broadcasting. But I didn't know they'd broadcast the Hammersmith 1989 show. I knew they broadcast the last Wembley Festival with Jerry Lee in 1990.

They were only around for a year or so, but broadcast Wembley '90, London '89 (both several times) & an edited 25 minute version of 'Austin City Limits'. So it was a good place to find JLL.
peterchecksfield

Postby flip54 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:26 pm

Yes Bsb,think they did a big promo on the 89 Hammersmith show and used it as part of their launch publicity, I've got their listings mag for that week somewhere, they ran promo ads about it too, probably explains the addition of the Uk "stars" to the bill,probably paid for by BSB

Phil

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:

Dorian Gray

They were only around for a year or so, but broadcast Wembley '90, London '89 (both several times) & an edited 25 minute version of 'Austin City Limits'. So it was a good place to find JLL.
flip54

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:34 pm

flip54 wrote:Yes Bsb,think they did a big promo on the 89 Hammersmith show and used it as part of their launch publicity, I've got their listings mag for that week somewhere, they ran promo ads about it too, probably explains the addition of the Uk "stars" to the bill,probably paid for by BSB

Phil

There's unconfirmed reports that BSB broadcast the Wembley show live & uncut, though I've never found anyone with a video of this. All subsequent broadcasts omitted several songs.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:54 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
flip54 wrote:Yes Bsb,think they did a big promo on the 89 Hammersmith show and used it as part of their launch publicity, I've got their listings mag for that week somewhere, they ran promo ads about it too, probably explains the addition of the Uk "stars" to the bill,probably paid for by BSB

Phil

There's unconfirmed reports that BSB broadcast the Wembley show live & uncut, though I've never found anyone with a video of this. All subsequent broadcasts omitted several songs.[/quote
]

Yes, it's true. I was at Wembley and saw the cameras, and knew it was a 'live' broadcast, which was also repeated later, probably several times. I never had satellite TV, still don't, but someone recorded it for me.

But the cameras were switched off before Jerry's encore - a medley which included Jailhouse Rock. There was a long gap between Jerry walking off stage after GBoF and him coming back on for the short encore.

I think the rest of Jerry's songs were in the broadcast.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:39 pm

Tony Papard wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Phil

There's unconfirmed reports that BSB broadcast the Wembley show live & uncut, though I've never found anyone with a video of this. All subsequent broadcasts omitted several songs.[/quote
]

As well as the encore, 'Rockin' My Life Away' & 'C.C. Rider' are missing from the version I have (I do have all songs edited together though, the 'missing' songs taken from an amateur video).
Yes, it's true. I was at Wembley and saw the cameras, and knew it was a 'live' broadcast, which was also repeated later, probably several times. I never had satellite TV, still don't, but someone recorded it for me.

But the cameras were switched off before Jerry's encore - a medley which included Jailhouse Rock. There was a long gap between Jerry walking off stage after GBoF and him coming back on for the short encore.

I think the rest of Jerry's songs were in the broadcast.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:08 pm

Peter, OK, my memory is shocking. I also have an amateur video, filmed from a long way away, but haven't watched it for some time. I was quite pleased with what BSB did show in the repeat broadcast, which must have been what was recorded for me. Seems a bit strange the missing two songs have never surfaced from the original 'live' broadcast, but I guess most of us were at Wembley and those with satellite TV forgot to switch the timer on, or knew it would be repeated.

I suppose, with 'live' broadcasts, timer recordings are always a bit dodgy. Who knows exactly what time Jerry will come on stage and what time he will finish? So recording the repeat probably makes more sense.

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby Bobby McGee » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:21 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Here's a complete list of the songs performed that night:

Blues At Midnight – Boogie Woogie Country Man (Medley)
I Don’t Want To Be Lonely Tonight
You Win Again
Mean Woman Blues
I Am What I Am
Goodnight Irene
What’d I Say
Lucille
Coming Back For More
Jailhouse Rock
Chantilly Lace
Mexicali Rose (slow)
Mexicali Rose (fast)
High School Confidential
Rockin’ My Life Away
Johnny B. Goode
Hang Up My Rock & Roll Shoes
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
Great Balls Of Fire
Good Golly Miss Molly – Tutti Frutti (Medley)
Me & Bobby McGee
High Heel Sneakers
Real Wild Child

I have all the songs in bold on one DVD (arrived this morning!), edited into the correct running order & with full menu.

I watched the official DVD release this evening.
And I noticed that "Mexicali Rose" starts with a piano solo?!
I guess the version we can see on the DVD is not the (full) (fast) version he played that night, is it?

Ok I see he played a SLOW version before, but my point is: did he go into the piano solo we can see on the DVD right after the slow version?

Is there a full version of Mexicali Rose on your DVD?
Bobby McGee

Postby Dougie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:16 pm

Tony Papard wrote:

Dorian Gray

I was at both shows and and i think the 1990 wembley show was broadcast live on bskyb with Bobby Bare presenting the show, shame the DVD of the Hammersmith show left so much out, if i remember correctly as well as the girl coming on stage and sitting at Jerry's feet, we had a guy invade the stage too... i think something similar happened at Wembley 87..my memory is not what it was.

Dougie.
Dougie

Postby Key_Okuna » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:18 pm

I didn't know that London '89 was cut! Wow, I'd love to see Jerry playing Jailhouse Rock, Hang Up My Rock 'n' Roll Shoes and Me and Bobby McGee in this concert!
Visit my youtube channel and find some good JLL videos!
http://www.youtube.com/jerryleerules
Key_Okuna

Postby martin bates » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Dougie wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:

Dorian Gray

I was at both shows and and i think the 1990 wembley show was broadcast live on bskyb with Bobby Bare presenting the show, shame the DVD of the Hammersmith show left so much out, if i remember correctly as well as the girl coming on stage and sitting at Jerry's feet, we had a guy invade the stage too... i think something similar happened at Wembley 87..my memory is not what it was.

Dougie.

yes that's right. I thought '87 was great for the TV -as it was close to a 'greatest hits' show .....HCS / MWB/ MAC etc. .....but i think the guy running around the stage during a great version of GBF ruined the chance of the BBC including it ...(assuming the sound & everythng was right - the unlikely reason given for cutting songs in other years!)
Martin.
martin bates

Previous

Return to Archive