Jerry Lee Lewis and Friends

Jerry Lee Lewis and Friends

Postby Jos » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:43 pm

I have the dvd of this show (London, England 1989) from Eagle vision.
But I saw on youtube more stuff of this concert. What was not released on this dvd. Does anybody have the hole complete show or tracklist?

Jos
Jos

Postby Perk » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:37 pm

There are two releases, where 2-3 songs differ. I can´t remember exactly but "High Heel Sneakers" is missing on one, and on the other "Mexicali Rose" is missing.

Peter perhaps have an edited homemade version to include both. Othervise my suggestion is to buy both! Much better quality!

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Perk wrote:There are two releases, where 2-3 songs differ. I can´t remember exactly but "High Heel Sneakers" is missing on one, and on the other "Mexicali Rose" is missing.

Peter perhaps have an edited homemade version to include both. Othervise my suggestion is to buy both! Much better quality!

Perk

What makes you so sure that 'official' releases are "much better quality" than home-made compilations??? This isn't always so.

Anyway, I'm expecting a bootleg DVD compilation with all available songs (in the correct order) in a week or two. Some songs though were never broadcast or released.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:10 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:There are two releases, where 2-3 songs differ. I can´t remember exactly but "High Heel Sneakers" is missing on one, and on the other "Mexicali Rose" is missing.

Perk

What makes you so sure that 'official' releases are "much better quality" than home-made compilations??? This isn't always so.

Anyway, I'm expecting a bootleg DVD compilation with all available songs (in the correct order) in a week or two. Some songs though were never broadcast or released.

I meant better than youtube!

Perk
Perk

Postby Jos » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:53 pm

I have seen High Heel Sneakers and chantilly lace on youtube
Jos

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:33 am

Here's a complete list of the songs performed that night:

Blues At Midnight – Boogie Woogie Country Man (Medley)
I Don’t Want To Be Lonely Tonight
You Win Again
Mean Woman Blues
I Am What I Am
Goodnight Irene
What’d I Say
Lucille
Coming Back For More
Jailhouse Rock
Chantilly Lace
Mexicali Rose (slow)
Mexicali Rose (fast)
High School Confidential
Rockin’ My Life Away
Johnny B. Goode
Hang Up My Rock & Roll Shoes
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
Great Balls Of Fire
Good Golly Miss Molly – Tutti Frutti (Medley)
Me & Bobby McGee
High Heel Sneakers
Real Wild Child

I have all the songs in bold on one DVD (arrived this morning!), edited into the correct running order & with full menu.
peterchecksfield

Postby Rocker » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:05 am

Anybody got a link to the "High-Heel sneakers"-video from this show on youtube?
Rocker

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:46 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Here's a complete list of the songs performed that night:

Blues At Midnight – Boogie Woogie Country Man (Medley)
I Don’t Want To Be Lonely Tonight
You Win Again
Mean Woman Blues
I Am What I Am
Goodnight Irene
What’d I Say
Lucille
Coming Back For More
Jailhouse Rock
Chantilly Lace
Mexicali Rose (slow)
Mexicali Rose (fast)
High School Confidential
Rockin’ My Life Away
Johnny B. Goode
Hang Up My Rock & Roll Shoes
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
Great Balls Of Fire
Good Golly Miss Molly – Tutti Frutti (Medley)
Me & Bobby McGee
High Heel Sneakers
Real Wild Child

I have all the songs in bold on one DVD (arrived this morning!), edited into the correct running order & with full menu.

Typical of the DVD producers to leave the most unusual and interesting numbers off the DVD - Jailhouse Rock and Hang Up My R'n'R Shoes. I Think Hi Heel Sneakers was left off some versions as well. At least they included Wild One (Real Wild Child). And just cutting into the fast version of Mexicali Rose doesn't really work either - they needed the slow version first as it is quite obvious we are joining the number in the middle.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:11 pm

Tony Papard wrote:
Typical of the DVD producers to leave the most unusual and interesting numbers off the DVD - Jailhouse Rock and Hang Up My R'n'R Shoes.

To be fair 'Jailhouse Rock' was cut short (as usual), & 'Hang Up My Rock & Roll Shoes' rarely sounds good live. I'd certainly have kept 'Me & Bobby McGee' & the opening 'Blues At Midnight' / 'Boogie Woogie Country Man' though.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:01 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:
Typical of the DVD producers to leave the most unusual and interesting numbers off the DVD - Jailhouse Rock and Hang Up My R'n'R Shoes.

To be fair 'Jailhouse Rock' was cut short (as usual), & 'Hang Up My Rock & Roll Shoes' rarely sounds good live. I'd certainly have kept 'Me & Bobby McGee' & the opening 'Blues At Midnight' / 'Boogie Woogie Country Man' though.

Best videod 'live' versions of JHR and HUMRnRS were probably Toronto Peace Festival, where Jerry improvises the words to Jailhouse Rock as an encore, and the Los Angeles early 1970s show In Concert where he segues R'n'R Shoes into CC Rider and sings them as a tribute to Chuck Willis.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

The woman on Johnny B. Goode...

Postby W_Skinner » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:43 am

Hi folks, don't know if this has been asked before...

Who is that woman, who comes on stage while the performance of Johnny B. Goode? She seems to talk to Jerry and cry...

Very strange to me... Anybody knows more?
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Re: The woman on Johnny B. Goode...

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:44 pm

W_Skinner wrote:Hi folks, don't know if this has been asked before...

Who is that woman, who comes on stage while the performance of Johnny B. Goode? She seems to talk to Jerry and cry...

Very strange to me... Anybody knows more?

Just a fan that was overcome with emotion.

A similar thing happened in Northampton in 1987.
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:45 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:

I should've pointed out that part of this can be seen & heard during the fans & guests interviews at the beginning of the official DVD.
peterchecksfield

Postby hamd01 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:42 am

I've always thought the official DVD was edited quite well, although mexicali rose was a pretty obvious edit.

The camera angles used were pretty amazing at this show, especially the one hanging over the piano. It would be awesome if the original production team could dig out ALL the footage a make a DVD with multiple angle selection.

As for the girl running onto the stage, a few years ago my then girlfriend (now wife) was asked to perform the same gesture in Newcastle....although the crying wasnt part of the deal. Needless to say she neglected the offer as she isnt a fan and had been dragged to the show by me.

David.
hamd01

Postby flip54 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:31 pm

What was the name of the satellite channel taken over by Sky (the y were Bskyb for a short while)that broadcast the original show here in the UK, had those funny square-ials, a pal subscribed so that he could tape the show which had some cool camera angles above the piano etc and more fan/band interviews than on the dvd, all on a video in the loft somewhere along with the Kings Sunday show which I still can't find

Dorian Gray

peterchecksfield wrote:[I should've pointed out that part of this can be seen & heard during the fans & guests interviews at the beginning of the official DVD.
flip54

Next

Return to Archive