Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame Tribute Concert!!!!!



Re: I think I know

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:07 am

martin bates wrote:
It's never clear who "they" are....but whilst the Lewis' can't influence whoever puts out a bootleg ,perhaps they expect better from their own.
Brasstacks certainly try & stop bootlegging -but as we all agreed over those LMS downloads,it's an impossible task. Jimmy Rip's pleas to fans was ignored & generally ridiculed - so it's not fair to say "they" do nothing about it.

Martin.


Well again, "they" (presumably "Tintacks") get it all wrong! A (free) advance download of one song from a forthcoming album will not take money away from Jerry, Jimmy or record companies, on the contrary! Most record companies deliberately leak out songs in advance to generate publicity.

The people they should be going after are those releasing CDs of 1989-1990 outtakes & DVDs of TV shows recorded from VHS tapes! These are making money from Jerry (as well as potentially ruin his reputation by releasing substandard product), not those that download a song or two in advance of an album, or try to make a charity calendar for the fans...& if you can't see the difference then you're not the intelligent guy I thought you were! :cry:
peterchecksfield

 

Re: I think I know

Postby martin bates » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:29 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
martin bates wrote:
It's never clear who "they" are....but whilst the Lewis' can't influence whoever puts out a bootleg ,perhaps they expect better from their own.
Brasstacks certainly try & stop bootlegging -but as we all agreed over those LMS downloads,it's an impossible task. Jimmy Rip's pleas to fans was ignored & generally ridiculed - so it's not fair to say "they" do nothing about it.

Martin.


Well again, "they" (presumably "Tintacks") get it all wrong! A (free) advance download of one song from a forthcoming album will not take money away from Jerry, Jimmy or record companies, on the contrary! Most record companies deliberately leak out songs in advance to generate publicity.

The people they should be going after are those releasing CDs of 1989-1990 outtakes & DVDs of TV shows recorded from VHS tapes! These are making money from Jerry (as well as potentially ruin his reputation by releasing substandard product), not those that download a song or two in advance of an album, or try to make a charity calendar for the fans...& if you can't see the difference then you're not the intelligent guy I thought you were! :cry:


why,thank you ! (I think).
look,this is several different things.......the calendar was never properly explained & who gave Marla problems or why is still not clear;After her request on yahoo I was the only 'fan' who put a photo in anyway -so it wasn't exactly well supported by fans;so if there were photos from other sources -who knows; that may have been cause for concern. I don't know. On LMS Jimmy Rip did release one song for publicity; his requests to stop downloads was when the entire album became available before it's release,& he specifically asked fans to stop & was largely ignored. On the bootlegs you mention - yes I agree totally -especially your good point about inferior product - but as I said it's impossible - but Brasstacks do try- if you were to contact them with specifics on particular sellers (rather than web-sites) I bet they would follow it up.

Martin.
(I'm away till sunday shortly -just looking in to keep up, so I probably won't follow-up imediately if there's further interesting correspondance !)
martin bates

 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby Perk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:59 pm

On LMS Jimmy Rip did release one song for publicity; his requests to stop downloads was when the entire album became available before it's release,& he specifically asked fans to stop & was largely ignored.


Maarten, it was one song that was played on an internet radio station without Jimmy´s knowledge. He didn´t like this. This was recorded (in crap sound) by fans. Then weeks later on another station started playing all the songs from the album over and over in a promotion stunt. All coming from the already sent out advance copy of the album. The only problem with this was that one station leaked one song too early. At least as i remember it.

Perk
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Postby Perk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:19 pm

I guess this is the wrong thread about bootlegs, but anyway ...

Shortly i think for instance the only legal release of "The Story Of Rock & Roll" (Toronto Peace Festival) came in 1989 on a videotape. As they apparantly had access to the original material and could change the sound, and use alternate camera angles. I belivie EVERY release after this (which must be 50 at least) are bootlegs.

They are pretty easy to spot!

Perk
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:52 pm

Perk wrote:I guess this is the wrong thread about bootlegs, but anyway ...

Shortly i think for instance the only legal release of "The Story Of Rock & Roll" (Toronto Peace Festival) came in 1989 on a videotape. As they apparantly had access to the original material and could change the sound, and use alternate camera angles. I belivie EVERY release after this (which must be 50 at least) are bootlegs.

They are pretty easy to spot!

Perk


Well it's hard to say whether or not some of these reissues are actually legitimate or not, but it's not our job to find out, it's up to Brasstacks to check all this out! The same with The London Rock & Roll Show, The Jerry Lee Lewis Show, Slough, etc.

It's ironic that JKL Enterprises were told to stop selling their Austin City Limits VHS tape a few years back because they didn't have the proper rights to it. It wasn't perfect, but it was certainly better quality than many of the so called 'legal' releases and the money went to Jerry & Kerrie!
peterchecksfield

 

Postby Perk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:29 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:I guess this is the wrong thread about bootlegs, but anyway ...

Shortly i think for instance the only legal release of "The Story Of Rock & Roll" (Toronto Peace Festival) came in 1989 on a videotape. As they apparantly had access to the original material and could change the sound, and use alternate camera angles. I belivie EVERY release after this (which must be 50 at least) are bootlegs.

They are pretty easy to spot!

Perk


Well it's hard to say whether or not some of these reissues are actually legitimate or not, but it's not our job to find out, it's up to Brasstacks to check all this out! The same with The London Rock & Roll Show, The Jerry Lee Lewis Show, Slough, etc.

It's ironic that JKL Enterprises were told to stop selling their Austin City Limits VHS tape a few years back because they didn't have the proper rights to it. It wasn't perfect, but it was certainly better quality than many of the so called 'legal' releases and the money went to Jerry & Kerrie!


It´s easy to see what´s been copied from videotapes. I consider these bootlegs.

Your right, if Brasstacks works for Jerry, they should concentrate on the big bad wolfs, and not to jump down on us fans who tries to do our best for our man!!! We of course like a little extra!

Brasstacks are an american company. Shall i compare them to american banks where you can make false papers in photoshop and get a bankloan without problems? (proved by a friend). So i don´t have that big belief in Brasstacks.

As for bootlegs, i think most should see it as promotion. It´s only a drop in the sea anyway. The bootleg business doesn´t mean the millions people think it does. Also in contrast, does the legal companies really pay their artists properly. I doubt it!

Perk ; )
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:31 pm

Perk wrote: Also in contrast, does the legal companies really pay their artists properly. I doubt it!



As Jerry has always said, the REAL bootleggers are the legitimate record companies! No doubt he's refering to Sam Phillips (etc) not paying him, but also he considers anything that is released without his approval as a bootleg. So this presumably includes all DVDs except LMS Live & Killer Piano, & everything by Rhino, Charly, Bear Family, Ace, etc!!!
peterchecksfield

 

They

Postby catmom68 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:20 pm

To clarify who "they" are, let me say that it is the entertainment lawyers who safeguard the contracts and clauses therein, for everybody involved. For example: Right now the Writers Guild is on strike here for reimbursement for internet $ etc., I am still pondering and we have been discussing the manner in which they think they will enforce that...God only knows. I am considered a pretty good mediator, but how they think they will manage to prove and collect is a little difficult. However, I do agree that they are entitled.

Regards,
Marla
catmom68

 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Chicago Illinois USA

One more note....

Postby catmom68 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:40 pm

In closing, I just wanted to clarify the calander project I suggested. The calander was to never be sold outside of our group, with funds to be used for a tribute we had planned for Jerry in Memphis, (in an account held in Pay Pal). The pictures were to be chosen by the fanclub members from other fanclub members photos. When the lawyers contacted me, I did respond. I questioned the legitamacy of the fanclub and if there were a charter and they never responded back to me. Twice I contacted them, in an effort to see what we could do to bridge the gap between everybody, in the U.S. and elsewhere. I got zero interest from them, and although I know it sucks, one has just got to accept the hard reality.

They simply do not care about fans anymore. I still have yet to understand the industry with this. I thought the fans were the base for anything media minded. I guess it's not the case any more. Funny looking concerts, though. Nobody in the audience and no one buying the artists memorabilia outside. Oh, I forgot, they don't sell that anymore either. You've got to order it online or forget it. When I scolded them with that, how people have tried to "peel" a damn bumper sticker off a truck in the parking lot, I guess it didn't sink in. Not only that, older folks that asked us to pick up T shirts at the concerts have to be told they need to go online and buy them. Oh I forgot, some are incapable and don't even own a computer.
Bitchy? You bet I am. They don't care and after what was pulled in Cleveland, I won't make the effort.

Love,
Marla
catmom68

 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Chicago Illinois USA

Re: One more note....

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:51 pm

catmom68 wrote:In closing, I just wanted to clarify the calander project I suggested. The calander was to never be sold outside of our group, with funds to be used for a tribute we had planned for Jerry in Memphis, (in an account held in Pay Pal). The pictures were to be chosen by the fanclub members from other fanclub members photos. When the lawyers contacted me, I did respond. I questioned the legitamacy of the fanclub and if there were a charter and they never responded back to me. Twice I contacted them, in an effort to see what we could do to bridge the gap between everybody, in the U.S. and elsewhere. I got zero interest from them, and although I know it sucks, one has just got to accept the hard reality.

They simply do not care about fans anymore. I still have yet to understand the industry with this. I thought the fans were the base for anything media minded. I guess it's not the case any more. Funny looking concerts, though. Nobody in the audience and no one buying the artists memorabilia outside. Oh, I forgot, they don't sell that anymore either. You've got to order it online or forget it. When I scolded them with that, how people have tried to "peel" a damn bumper sticker off a truck in the parking lot, I guess it didn't sink in. Not only that, older folks that asked us to pick up T shirts at the concerts have to be told they need to go online and buy them. Oh I forgot, some are incapable and don't even own a computer.
Bitchy? You bet I am. They don't care and after what was pulled in Cleveland, I won't make the effort.

Love,
Marla


Groups such as The Rolling Stones make more money selling memorabilia at concerts than they do via ticket sales! While I doubt if this could ever be the case with Jerry, I've been complaining for years about the lack of merchandise available at JLL concerts (even Linda Gail makes much of her money by selling CDs afterward shows).
peterchecksfield

 

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:45 pm

As I stated long ago on the other forum I never believed in the benefit of the Tinntacks maffia, the're only there for one reason "Money in their own pocket".
Again I recall the discussion about putting Wim's fanclub high on the web-site but for what reason, they dont make money out of the fanclub so why helping Wim to gain more members.
No need to tell again that we "Die-hards" kept on bringing Jerry into the attention of radio DJ and promotors and that's the reason he visited Europe so much over the last 30 years.
I still do believe Jerry apriciate his fans very much, he's not responsable for the damage the Tinntacks does, so just f**k them.

Piet
Piet

User avatar
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Rosmalen, The Netherlands

Postby niek81 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:56 pm

The fact that Wim's fanclub was not on the website is not completely Brass. Alliance fault I think. I always thought Phoebe was pretty much involved with that website as well, but she also didn't add Wim to it....

Niek
niek81

 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:54 pm
Location: Eindhoven

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 pm

I did send a message to them and got the answer that they didn't need to bother to put the fanclub on top of the list, it was fine where it was, somewhere on the web-site.
As much as her Dad Phoebe does understand that the fans kept on being faithfull over all those years, Phoebe travels with her Dad for more that 25 years now so she knows who kept on bringing the meal on the table.

Piet
Piet

User avatar
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Rosmalen, The Netherlands

I'm with Piet

Postby catmom68 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:30 pm

Before I leave the office, I wanted to make sure that my stand is understood. I have emphasized to many, many different promotors, venue managers and pretty much anybody who'll listen, that when it comes to Jerry's fanbase- the U.S. is a far cry behind those in other countries. Imagine how well I am loved about it. Next question, do I care? Not really. In my little noggin, anybody who spends their hard earned money, effort and time to endorse an artist thousands of miles away needs to be represented here for their efforts.

I am not anybody, nor do I care to be. I am not a social moron either, and I know how to show appreciation to those who make a substantial effort on anyone's behalf. Its embarrassing to say the least, but like Piet sometimes a simple F*** Y** is the easiest answer. With that being said, I think it best for me to just go home, light the fireplace and listen to Jerry's softer side.

Love,
Marla
catmom68

 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Chicago Illinois USA

Re: One more note....

Postby martin bates » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:59 pm

catmom68 wrote:In closing, I just wanted to clarify the calander project I suggested. The calander was to never be sold outside of our group, with funds to be used for a tribute we had planned for Jerry in Memphis, (in an account held in Pay Pal). The pictures were to be chosen by the fanclub members from other fanclub members photos. When the lawyers contacted me, I did respond. I questioned the legitamacy of the fanclub and if there were a charter and they never responded back to me. Twice I contacted them, in an effort to see what we could do to bridge the gap between everybody, in the U.S. and elsewhere. I got zero interest from them, and although I know it sucks, one has just got to accept the hard reality.

They simply do not care about fans anymore. I still have yet to understand the industry with this. I thought the fans were the base for anything media minded. I guess it's not the case any more. Funny looking concerts, though. Nobody in the audience and no one buying the artists memorabilia outside. Oh, I forgot, they don't sell that anymore either. You've got to order it online or forget it. When I scolded them with that, how people have tried to "peel" a damn bumper sticker off a truck in the parking lot, I guess it didn't sink in. Not only that, older folks that asked us to pick up T shirts at the concerts have to be told they need to go online and buy them. Oh I forgot, some are incapable and don't even own a computer.
Bitchy? You bet I am. They don't care and after what was pulled in Cleveland, I won't make the effort.

Love,
Marla



Hi Marla
sounds like you were planning a relaxing time;I hope it worked out that way.I've been to a family wedding & that was extremely enjoyable :lol:

What was the problem witht he lawyers ref. the calendar ? & what happened in Cleveland ? (I think PC. asked before; I may have missed your reply)

Martin.
martin bates

 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron