Jerry's laziest year?

Re: Jerry's laziest year?

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:01 am

PeterC wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:
PeterC wrote:As Paul (Rocky) pointed out, there doesn't seem to be any more shows on the horizon, despite Jerry apparently fully recovering.

His band members claim that there are shows in California in October, but nobody seems to be able to ask them for the concrete dates.

Have you asked Peter Hayman?

No. I thought you were in touch with him.
wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 am

Not really, unless we're trading. Haven't spoken to him in months.
PeterC

Postby Perk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:12 am

Rocky wrote:I think it's safe to say 2012 at this point of the game. 1 show in nine months and no sign of any future shows at this date. Also Perk, why do you think 1959 was a slow year. Although the money was down he was booked regularly. 1960 was much slower than 1959. He was booked solid in 59.

Hey Paul, i can´t remember as i wrote that message 5 years ago. I don´t doubt what your saying. I guess i figured so because there was very few shows listed for 1959 on Wolfies site, and also considering the trouble that followed after 1958.
Perk

Postby Rocky » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:48 pm

My book FERRIDAY FIREBALL: JERRY LEE LEWIS is full of showdates for Jerry Lee in 1959. He was only recieving $200 a show but he played all over the country during this time. He also was guest on five TV shows that year, only off the road for 3 weeks in November while hospitalized for operation on appendix. Wolfgang's site contains a lot of dates but is far from complete.
Rocky

Postby martin bates » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:51 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:
bailbath wrote:A bit unfair as he has had broke leg and ribs. A lot of 76 year olds don't recover from stuff like that.
Ian

That's nonsense.

???? I think Ian's quite correct.
It's early days for the new booking agency as well - give 'em a chance :)
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:25 pm

I think it's nonsense too. He's in his mid 70s, not his mid 90s.

It's also late days in the year, so unless he does some pretty intensive touring from October to December it looks like 2012 is the winner...
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:23 pm

2012 will be the winner...no matter what they do from here on out. Technically, Jerry's body is like a 90's man. Abuse through the years aged him different. His cousin Mickey Gilley is same age and plays 200 dates a year, and does a two-hour show each night with all 17 #1 hits and most of his 35 top ten hits. And that's after learning to walk all over again from a back injury several years ago. Look at most people you know in their mid 70s. Most look much younger than Jerry Lee. Johnny Cash died at 71...looking 91. All because of drugs and booze. Cash was in a wheelchair the last year of his life with 80% of his eyesight gone. Both Cash and Lewis aged their bodies long before their time. I know y'all would like to see and hear Jerry perform for at least ten more years. It just ain't gonna happen. I've seen too many people at the end of their life and the signs are there when a body begins to shut down. But, Hey, he's still got a few good albums in the vaults. His last two were giant sellers. Can't understand why they're holding back the last album he recorded with "Come Sundown", "Keep Me In Mind", "Roll On", etc. on it. Get that sucka out! I like it better than "LMS" and MOM". Play it often.
Rocky

Postby PeterC » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Maybe, but I would've said in 2002 or even 1992 that he wouldn't be here in 10 years time...

I see every year since his near-death in 1981 as an unexpected bonus.
PeterC

Postby matt gilliam » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:36 pm

yOU ARE B0TH SPOT ON THE FACTS
matt gilliam

Postby PeterC » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Who knows how we're all going to end up.... Of course, I hope I'll be like Chuck Berry some day, still energetic and limber at 85, and I'm certainly doing my best to lead a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes though it just comes down to genetics. I'm sure Tony Papard won't mind me telling you that his mother celebrated her 98th birthday yesterday, despite smoking 20-30 cigarettes a day since she was 18! Amazing.
PeterC

Postby guilherme mello » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:07 pm

I think that Rocky is right. Maybe not about the next 10 years, but certainly about Jerry´s bopdy been older than his actual age. After his last Bday show, he collapses after a bit more than 2 hours on stage. Almos ANY artist´s body can hold for 2 hours, but not Jerry´s. And that was 10 years ago!! I really think that even with this "older" body, it´s great to see Jerry live when he is in fairly good shape, as he was in the last show. I saw him in Brazil and had a great time! So, i hope that he continues to do some shows now and then for people who want to see him and have some fun with his music! And I would really love to hear this "new" album (with leftovers from MOM) that has not been yet released. How can i get it?
guilherme mello

Postby PeterC » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:18 pm

He was just dehydrated at the 2002 show, that's all. It could happen to anyone at any age. He did 3 hours just a year earlier without any problem, and his health didn't change that much in those 12 months. Anyway, in Austin in May 2003 he did two full length concerts the same evening, looking and sounding great (at 5:35 in this video he mentions that there'll be another show):

PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:00 pm

PeterC wrote:Who knows how we're all going to end up.... Of course, I hope I'll be like Chuck Berry some day, still energetic and limber at 85, and I'm certainly doing my best to lead a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes though it just comes down to genetics. I'm sure Tony Papard won't mind me telling you that his mother celebrated her 98th birthday yesterday, despite smoking 20-30 cigarettes a day since she was 18! Amazing.

I think Jerry Lee Lewis would be in similiar shape as Chuck Berry if it wasn't for the drug abuse and drinking. I think just like Chuck he has very good genes. Both are incredibly powerful people of course.
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:02 pm

PeterC wrote:I'm sure Tony Papard won't mind me telling you that his mother celebrated her 98th birthday yesterday, despite smoking 20-30 cigarettes a day since she was 18! Amazing.

Happy Birthday!
wolfgangguhl

Postby Bobby McGee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:
PeterC wrote:Who knows how we're all going to end up.... Of course, I hope I'll be like Chuck Berry some day, still energetic and limber at 85, and I'm certainly doing my best to lead a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes though it just comes down to genetics. I'm sure Tony Papard won't mind me telling you that his mother celebrated her 98th birthday yesterday, despite smoking 20-30 cigarettes a day since she was 18! Amazing.

I think Jerry Lee Lewis would be in similiar shape as Chuck Berry if it wasn't for the drug abuse and drinking. I think just like Chuck he has very good genes. Both are incredibly powerful people of course.

Sure, drug & alcohol abuse will probably have that (same) effect on anyone´s body.
Though I think JLL must have had some GREAT fantastic times during the period when his alcohol & drug consumption was at its peak (70s, 80s) ... now he´s got to "pay" for it, but I´m sure he´d say that he doesn´t "regret" anything!
Rock´n´Roll! :)
Bobby McGee

PreviousNext

Return to Archive